• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Your best choice for tape slap back echo in a pedal.

soldano16

The Carl Martin Delayla was designed for just that. I'm totally new to pedals so I can't really say how good mine is compared to other pedals. I bought it based on the mfr's blurb and the company's rep for good pedals. But it does sound great and I can get some of the Jimmy Page live tone I was looking for. Mine is analog. The new model (xl or something) has more features but is not advertised as being analog.

flyonthewall150

Silver Supporting Member
ibanez em-5 echomachine is really good for this.

and well...so is the RE-20

doesn't brian setzer use a space echo for his slap back sounds?

revgsmall

ibanez em-5 echomachine is really good for this.

and well...so is the RE-20

doesn't brian setzer use a space echo for his slap back sounds?
Actually I have EM-5 sitting right next to me. Also a TS-5. Both the switches are broken on em...:(.

I used these pedalswhen I got lazy and didn't want to screw with my pedal board. Evidently I am too lazy to have the swithes replaced too.

The EM-5, at least mine anyway, is okay as long as you don't run them too loud. Mine has a nasty digital crack to it if you get beyond an ambient setting.

Yeah Setzer uses the original Space Echo, one of the reasons I decided to try the RE-20 Space Echo.

brez9091

i use the danelectro reel echo as well. at christmas, amazon.com had them for $99.- good luck!

revgsmall

I just went and A/B'd the RE-20 and Line 6, for slap back echo. The RE-20 has it in spades for slap-back. I think I 'll hold on the Line 6 for other circus tricks, and since the RE-20 is bought and paid for I think I'll just stay with it.

I 've got another thread started about possibly getting my old Ibanez AD-9 repaired (again!!!). It hasn't been to faithful.

jcshirke

Silver Supporting Member
Eventide's Time Factor Tape Echo settings and/or vintage delay settings do a very nice slapback.

jcshirke

Silver Supporting Member
Too bad it doesn't sound like tape, whereas the RE-20 does.
Let's see. I own a Fulltone TTE, the RE-20, and the Time Factor (among others). The Time Factor sounds like tape--not *exactly* like tape, but it's pretty damn good. Sure, nothing beats the real tape of the TTE, imo. So, if you really want to do it right, then get a real tape echo.

GuitarBrent

Let's see. I own a Fulltone TTE, the RE-20, and the Time Factor (among others). The Time Factor sounds like tape--not *exactly* like tape, but it's pretty damn good. Sure, nothing beats the real tape of the TTE, imo. So, if you really want to do it right, then get a real tape echo.
To each his own, but I couldn't get the Timefactor to self-oscillate. It just did the digital clicky thing for me. My ears had a hard time dialing in a convincing tape echo sound, but I only spent an hour or two with it in the store without a manual, and I would guess dialing in the right modulation would've helped (it's a very deep unit with lots of possibilities). The RE-20 in my rig sounds as close as anything I've ever played to the old tape echos I've owned over the years without the pain of the real deal. The T-Rex Replica also sounds very tape like in the brown mode, BUT again no self-oscillation. To me, that's a big part of the tape echo thang!

:BEER

jcshirke

Silver Supporting Member
To each his own, but I couldn't get the Timefactor to self-oscillate. It just did the digital clicky thing for me. My ears had a hard time dialing in a convincing tape echo sound, but I only spent an hour or two with it in the store without a manual, and I would guess dialing in the right modulation would've helped (it's a very deep unit with lots of possibilities). The RE-20 in my rig sounds as close as anything I've ever played to the old tape echos I've owned over the years without the pain of the real deal. The T-Rex Replica also sounds very tape like in the brown mode, BUT again no self-oscillation. To me, that's a big part of the tape echo thang!

:BEER
Fair enough. :) Your comment/criticism of the TF is enough of an eye opener to get me to go and do some A/B comparisons between it and my TTE.

I haven't tried to get the TF to self-oscillate either. To be totally honest, I didn't know tape could self-oscillate. I know analog delays can. My Memory Lane definitely goes into self-oscillation with feedback set real high. I've never tried to get my TTE to self-oscillate, though.

I agree that the RE-20 sounds great, and maybe that is a better option for doing traditional slapback. I just mentioned the TF because (coincidentally) last night that's exactly how I set mine, and I was getting some really cool and pretty authentic sounds out of it.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but if you want to share some RE-20 settings (here or in another thread), I'd love to see them. I haven't played around with that pedal nearly enough yet. But I'm definitely keeping it.

revgsmall

there's two new analog delays coming soon this year, MXR Carbon copy and and MI Audio.
have high hopes for both:AOK
I do like the throw it in a pocket size of the MXR CC for sure. Sound/bang for buck will be the equation for me, as it usually is. Is there a battery hatch on it, or do you have to remove the bottom?

GuitarBrent

Fair enough. :) Your comment/criticism of the TF is enough of an eye opener to get me to go and do some A/B comparisons between it and my TTE.

I haven't tried to get the TF to self-oscillate either. To be totally honest, I didn't know tape could self-oscillate. I know analog delays can. My Memory Lane definitely goes into self-oscillation with feedback set real high. I've never tried to get my TTE to self-oscillate, though.

I agree that the RE-20 sounds great, and maybe that is a better option for doing traditional slapback. I just mentioned the TF because (coincidentally) last night that's exactly how I set mine, and I was getting some really cool and pretty authentic sounds out of it.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but if you want to share some RE-20 settings (here or in another thread), I'd love to see them. I haven't played around with that pedal nearly enough yet. But I'm definitely keeping it.
No hijacking here. Man, you've got the best delays currently on the market outside of the Echoczar, which is impossible to get (although maybe you got one of those too?). I look for a wide range of feedback settings in a delay. I like short feedback settings for the normal, everyday stuff, but I really like the cacophony settings. I like range in the repeat/feedback knob so I can get right on the edge of self-oscillation, and I love self-oscillation for those ray gun and spaceship sounds. The thing I love about the RE-20 as well are the multiple head settings. WOW! It's like Pipers at the Gates of Dawn kinda sounds. I could never get that from the Echoplexes I've owned. That's Binson Echorec kinda stuff. So for me, it's setting 1 with lower delay and repeat settings for slapback stuff. Honestly I keep the reverb off on the RE-20, but I'm not a big reverb guy anyway. For the more wacked out sounds, I like setting 11 with the delay maxed out and the repeat knob at about 2 o'clock. Listen to the 3 head smear of that setting. AWESOME. I have tons of other settings that I like. The beauty of the RE-20 for me is how much it does sound like tape and how it can do all the wild tape sounds too. It's cool that you have a TTE. I'd give my left nut for one! At the end of the day, nothing beats tubes and tape, but for $250, the RE-20 is close enough for these ears, requires no maintenance, and fits on my pedalboard. I'd still love a TTE though. Maybe if he does release a solid state version for $500, I might get one.

funkycaveman

Another AD-80 lover here! Sounds the closes to my solid state Maestro EP. I also get some nice, clean slapbacks out of my dd-3. It gives more of a modern country than rockabilly slapback but still sounds good. I didn't really care for the Timefactor's tape delay.

jcshirke

Silver Supporting Member
Another AD-80 lover here! Sounds the closes to my solid state Maestro EP. I also get some nice, clean slapbacks out of my dd-3. It gives more of a modern country than rockabilly slapback but still sounds good. I didn't really care for the Timefactor's tape delay.
Since you're the second person to say you didn't really like the TF tape delay, could you be more specific? How much time did you spend with it? What didn't you like, etc.? The more I played around with the Wow and Flutter settings, the more authentic I thought it sounded--at least on an initial run through. I haven't had the pedal that long, but I thought it was pretty accurate.

funkycaveman

Since you're the second person to say you didn't really like the TF tape delay, could you be more specific? How much time did you spend with it? What didn't you like, etc.? The more I played around with the Wow and Flutter settings, the more authentic I thought it sounded--at least on an initial run through. I haven't had the pedal that long, but I thought it was pretty accurate.
It could be that I didn't spend enough time with it. With all the parameters on the TF I'm sure there are quite a few settings I missed. The tape settings I tried still sounded like a crisp digital delay. The high end on the effect could be rolled off but instead of making it sound warm it just made it sound muddy. Since I was getting a more convincing sound out of my AD-80, I just kept using that for tape-like sounds.

With alot more tweaking, I probably could have obtained a good tape sound with the TF, but I thought the TF really did the digital delay and modulated delay much better than the tape delay.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom