Your best tone.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by PrestonBrick, May 3, 2008.

1. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

Name when you had your best tone and the gear you were using when you had it.

2. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Some of my favorite is
    McCarty into Budda DS 30

Clean to dirty to dirtiest. The second time around was the same stuff just with a wireless.

3. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

Les Paul Classic* + Cry Baby + Boss DS-1 + Ibanez DE-7 + Marshall DSL-50 (green channel) + 4 x Celestion G12-65 = awesome!

*Les Paul can be substituted for HW1 Stratocaster depending on mood.

4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

honestly it was probably my twin reverb and les paul with 70's buckers. but the LP was uncomfortable and the verb was too loud and big (didn't know about attenuators then). loved it for the clean deep tone with chime, with buckers no less.

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I started playing in 1967.

I have better tone today than I've ever had.

I have three parts Tele's, a Prairiewood Special and a Vint. Mahog. LP Studio.

For amps I use a Gries 35 and a gkoelling.

Pedals are rarely used but if I want, I use a Keeley BD-2 with the Gries, a Holy Grail with the gkoelling and there's a BYOC Trem I use with either.

Sometimes picks, sometimes fingers, sometimes both.

It's these...

[​IMG]

Through this...
    [​IMG]

...or this...
    [​IMG]

6. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

I did a home scratch recording using my crappy tape 4 track to suss out some extra parts prior to recording.

I used:
    Gibson Flying V (1990 Gibson 67 R.I.)
    Marshal JCM 900 50W Head (run on 1/2 wattage)
    Marshall 1X12 JCM800 Cab
    Sure-a-like Mic.

Something just went right, probably right down the the way I had managed to place the mic in front of it all, and the way I happened to play it. I did three parts over top of eachother, and it sounded huge, and perfect. AND it had nuance.

When it came time to record it proper in the studio, I tried to replicate it, but no dice. it was close, but it was never quite as right. A shame, I would have liked that to be on the album, not some scratch recording that only i would ever hear (and have since lost track of)

hard to tell exactly why, as pretty much everthing was different (although I did still have the same Guitar and Same amp available to me)

7. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I assume you mean SD 30? .. I need to check one of those out. are you able to cop that tone with the master low?

8. Structo

Structo Member

Best tone?
    Is there such a thing?

9. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Nope. DS. Dual Stage 30, a discontinued model, and that was wide open. The master is on the 6L6 side. The EL84 side has an attenuator. Doesn't sound nearly as good with the master low, of highly attenuated, but it is reasonable for gigging.

I can get decent sounds at lower volumes, whether attenuated or with the master down a bit, but there's no substitute for the effect of volume and interaction between the pickups and the speakers.

10. RockDC

RockDC Member

Gibson Les Paul Classic --> BYOC Mighty Mouse --> Eventide Timefactor --> 1980 Marshall JMP MV

Been working with this set up (except replace the Timefactor with a Replica) for about 3 years... pure classic rock tone!

11. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

Hamer Artist Korina --> Voodoo Lab SparkleDrive --> Bassman RI

Luckily for me I'm too stupid to have sold any of it. :)

12. 12345678

12345678 Senior Member

American Standard Strat, Lee Jackson head, Marshall 4x12 cab with G12T-75s, Boss DS1, BOSS DD3, Korg EQ

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Absolutely!

He asked what your best tone ever was.

14. Donn Rowe

Donn Rowe Member

Les Paul R7 w/ Mike Turk PU's and a Komet 60 W/ 2/12 cab and various pedals..

15. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Some of my best tones came from my old '69 Les Paul Custom and just about any amp. Right up until the drummer accidentally kicked it off the stand and broke its neck :(. But that was 25 years ago and I've gotten over it. I'd say my best tone in recent years has been the sound I now get from my LP Std and my Warmoth strat through an AB763 type Franken-Fender amp that I call the Tonester. Those two and a couple pedals...I don't think I've ever had better tone.

16. Voxshall

Voxshall Member

For dirty to full out endless sustain.

92 Les Paul Std, JB/59 SD pickups, into a TC Electronic Booster and 73 Marshall Superlead, 4x12 is 1960HWB.

For clean to dirty

56 Cunetto Relic into a 66 Vox AC30TB.

This topic makes me want to sell all my pedels or buy a gigrig or something.

17. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Tone I've been happiest with is what I have right now;

Filtertron Tele or Epi Semi hollow with TV Jones in both (Powertrons in the semi hollow, Magnatron and a Classic in the tele).

Carl Martin Quattro

Penn 50 watt with Fane Blue Alnico 12

I can add a huge amount of clean headroom and dimension when I run a split signal through a V-Stack Tweedy into either the PA or my acoustic amp. Sounds a little goofy, but after many years of boutique and vintage amps, this split setup has gotten me the best tone I've ever been able to pull off. Just immense without being loud.

18. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

I have heard those gkoelling amps are, frankly, the best. I bet that pine tele sounds good through it. What can you tell us about your koelling amp?

19. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Probably the best tone I got is a Nocaster through a 1968 Fender Princeton Reverb. A Bogner Duende and a Koch Studiotone and an Ampeg 1966 Gemini II with Weber 15 inch California also each sound quite good tonewise.

20. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

For the first time in my life, the other day, A weight was lifted off my shoulders, I finally didnt worry about it, just played and the results made me feel good..

Ran a 69' CS Strat>klon>crunchbox into a JCM800 2205 & 2203 dual 4x12 cabs.
    the bi-product is this.
    http://www.nortoncable.com/images/Blues%20for%20tuesday.mp3

now, I just need to practice more :)
    my cheese slid off its cracker..