Your Box of "Weirdo" Effects???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jokerjkny, Mar 5, 2006.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

so, other than the stuff that Zach does, which i LOVE, what else you got in your "pedals gone wild" stash?

trying to add some fun stuff for the studio.

2. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Effector 13 makes some crazy stuff. I've got a Disaster Fuzz up for cheep in the Emporium if you are looking for something WAY off the beaten path...;)

3. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

Shin-Ei Fuzz-Wah, Shin-Ei Fuzz-Tone FY-2. The Kay Fuzz Tone is also very cool.

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

Not weird in themselves, but my box of Mooger Fooger Phaser, Ring Mod, Low Pass Filter, Analog delay and Control Processor gets some pretty "weird" sounds.

5. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

6. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

My Weirdo board -

Alesis Philtre
    Keeley modded Boss DD3 with Arion Flanger and Arion SAD-1 in the fx loop
    Tonefactor Mobius with Arion Phaser and Bennet Lowball in the loop
    Ibanez DE7
    Digitech PDS 20/20

did somebody say feedback?

7. covert

covert Member

Ah, the Sonic Mayhem pedals.

Digitech Space Sation
    Boss SYB-3
    Snarling Dogs Mold Spore
    Danelectro Black Liquorice

And these get used for normal stuff as well

Whammy
    Delays and loopers

8. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

MuRF

Studio Electronics ModMax Phaser (very unique, like a ringmod, filter and phaser pedal in one)

J.Everman Lo-Fi Filter

Fox Rox Paradox Flanger (does standard sounds but some crazy stuff too)

Maneco Filter Eko II (this pedal is absolutely slammin', coolest looper I own)

And I'm planing on picking up the Zvex Ringtone, Ooh Wah 2 and Electro-Harmonix H.O.G as well as some other sonic strangeness devices.

-TJK

9. Brick

Brick Member

MoogerFooger MuRF w/ expression pedal
    Wolftone Chaos

run along with

Lovepedal BBB
    L6 DL4 (reverse and loop)
    D-Tech JamMan Looper

equal good times

I definitely need to check the E13 stuff

10. Robzilla

Robzilla Member

you have a cool collection of gear! got any pics? :)

my weirdo 'collection' of pedals contain a Moogerfooger MF102 Ringmodulator and a Zvex FuzzFactory :)

11. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Is this the combo pedal of all of the XP series? Where did you find this? I think recall someone on another forum offering to mod an existing XP pedal to include all of the available models (XP 100, 200, 300...etc)

Brian

12. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

you can always try the Death by Audio "Total Sonic Anihilation"... Its a pretty cool "wierd" pedal.

13. Nathan

Nathan Member

I like how whack my Blackbox Quicksilver gets. Add the expression pedal to change delay time on the fly, which gives the pitch bending, and it's fun. Having previously owned ZVex's Machine and Fuzz Probe (still have a Vexter FF), I'd love to own more weirdo effects. However, they tend to be pretty expensive and limited for "normal" music....

14. 94prs22

94prs22 Gold Supporting Member

I use all sorts of effects to get very un-guitar tones from a guitar including:

*modulators*
    Digitech Whammy 1
    Lovetone Wobulator
    Lovetone Doppleganger
    Red Witch Medusa
    Moogerfooger Ring Mod
    Ross Flanger
    2 Prescription Electronics Vibe-units (often used both at the same time)

*delays*
    Moogerfooger 104-SD delay (the external feedback loop rocks for out there tones)
    Fulltone Tube Tape Echo (any stereo delay is cool)

*distortion*
    3 prescription electronics experience pedals (again sometimes more than 1 at once)
    Metasonix Agonizer
    Metasonix Butt Probe

I think my Dr. Who Theme cover is still up somewhere in the Sound Clips area, every sound other than the drum machine is a telecaster with some of the above effects.
    Brandon

15. playon

playon Supporting Member

Although lots of guys would have these on their main board, I'm a fairly conservative guitar player I guess... so these pretty much stay in my drawer until needed for specific projects:

Boomerang (sample looper + really great backwards FX)
    Boss VB-2 vibrato
    Prescription Experience octave/fuzz
    Digitech Whammy
    Agent Funk envelope filter
    Boss DD-3
    Lovetone Flanger (this one does stay on my pedal board)

I've really got bad GAS for these pedal though, the sound clips are badass:

http://www.studioelectronics.com/products_WolftonePedals.php

16. 94prs22

94prs22 Gold Supporting Member

I use it quite a bit, especially for textural sounds. It can be unpredictable, but doesn't have to be. The lack of predictability makes it a bit hard to use as a lead/melodic type tone/voice, but not impossible. I had another song posted a few months ago where I used the Butt Probe for most (if not) all of the distortion sounds. I've attached a link below.

I should say, that I'm not a live guitarist and I don't play music for a living. I have been working on an album of various instrumental songs inspired by the "out there" instrumentals of the 50s and 60s and various z-grade movie scores. For what I do, I dig it. In the song below, the drum machine is running through the Butt Probe (and from these sounds you can see where it got it's name) and the guitar tones are all through at least the Butt Probe too. The bass and synth (which is a Roland Juno 60) are not.

http://webpages.charter.net/94prs22/The Age of the Robots.mp3

I'll try to answer any other questions that you might have, hope this helps.
    Brandon

17. playon

playon Supporting Member

Yeah but no one has mentioned the Wolfetone stuff, which I think is really cool sounding. Haven't seen much mention or reviews of them around here.

18. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

One of the regulars over at GuitarGeek does this mod - altering the ROM on any of the XP series pedals to include ALL of the sounds of all four XP units. You can either send in your XP to get modded, or occasially he'll have premodded units for sale on ebay (I think there may be some up currently) or on guitargeek.

I picked up a cheap XP, the modulation one, awhile back specifically for this purpose. Just haven't gotten around to getting modded. Although the string swells on the Digi EX7 are tempting, I'd rather get the modded XP will all of the Space Station sounds...

19. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I constantly sing the praises of the SE Wolftone Helium, best upper octave fuzz I own... I absolutely love, does some great synth sounding leads, classic octavia and a straight out awesome fuzz with the octave dialed out, super flexible and really low noise (which is good and bad;) ) but all in all I really love that pedal!

-TJK

20. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Working on the pics thing as I type, I wanna post a blow out on all my stompy lovin' fun one of these days! And thanks! I've been meaning to get a Fuzz Factory for years, hopefully I'll get around to it this time around.

-TJK