Your Dream Power Supply

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by freak4liferu, Jan 15, 2008.

1. freak4liferu

freak4liferu Member

A friend of mine and I are researching and developing a new power supply, one of a "power all" sort of thing. I'm interested in any ideas to incorporate, as 1000 minds are better than 2. I have some basic ideas of some of the pedals i want to see powered, and am tired of having to use wall warts for some of these, and also know the importance of isolated outs, so tell me your ideas and we'll see if we can incorporate them into one "do it all" power supply.

2. gururyan

gururyan Member

If my Burkey Flatliner Pro had a courtesy outlet and was smaller, it would be my dream power supply.

3. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Burkey just came out with a smaller version...check their website...

4. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

i think that the Juicebox comes the closest to my ideal power supply. having some dedicated outlets that you can daisy chain off of is not a bad thing.... then you can use the iso's for the noisy pedals. The Juicebox has the 2 adjustable voltage outlets... which would be cool to see maybe 3 or 4 of those isolated outlets that could go from around 6v to 24v.... the courtesy outlet on the back is important also.

now... if you could fit all of the good features into a unit the size of the Pedal Power, it would be ideal.... also, there's no need for the price to be as much as the Juicebox.

If you could do this for sub $175, then you'd probably sell a ton. The need to go above 9 volts and the size being as small as possible is imperative to me.

5. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

It's tough to beat the Pedal Power 2+, IMHO. The ability to power the whole board, positive and negative tip pedals and the courtesy outlet are ideal features for me.

Shoot, if it only had breasts......

6. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

A pp2 with 12 9v outlets in 6 isolated groups of 2 and 2 18v outlets and a 9vac outlet.

7. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

don't have much to compare it to, as it's been perfect for my use, but I really dig the Voodoo Labs pedal power...

8. mild

mild Member

That would pretty much be the ultimate, right there...

9. mds

mds Member

How about one that'll switch to 220 for those of us who live in the states but tour europe?

10. eric-d

eric-d Member

Flatter design, more outputs (12 is preferable), switches ranging from 9v-18v per output, positive or negative ground, overall voltage to handle US and Euro.

11. Joses

Joses Member

what he said...but each output isolated (i'm sure eric-d meant that too, but thought i'd make it clearer) :BEER

12. gururyan

gururyan Member

Yeah, been waiting to see that...BUT, I'm already using all the outs on my Pro as it is so I need more....MORE.....MORE! I TELL YOU!

13. eric-d

eric-d Member

yeah - oops - forgot the isolated outputs...

14. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

That right there plus isolated outputs, but have it 9v-24v selectable (9v, 12v, 18v, 24v). Also be able to switch between AC & DC. The Trex Replica is 12V AC and the Trex RoomMate is 12V DC. There are a few other pedals out there that are this way. Plus like the PP2+ have a AC Outlet on the back.

15. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

AC and DC require different transformer taps so thats a little less likely in terms of switchability.

16. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

I'd like to see a pedal sized rechargable power supply that had some high tech battery in it that lasted 30+ hours,powered 8 pedals, low volt indicator, a cool paint job and cost under $100. But for now my Burkey flatliner will do.

17. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

I'd like to see my PP2+ with 12 outs. Maybe some 18v outs.

'course don't change the size.

18. Mr Benn

Mr Benn Member

my pedalboard currently has
    a 70's deluxe electric mistress
    a vanamps reverbamate
    a trex replica
    moog filter
    and it wil soon have an effectrode tubevibe
    i'm struggling to power all these babies,it's impossible from a pp2!
    we need more AC!!

19. freak4liferu

freak4liferu Member

Great ideas guys. Keep them rolling in. I own a PP2 + and I own an ADL Juicebox v2.0.

The main quams with these are, the pp2 + i love, but no AC options, you have to buy the separate unit for that, and who wants 2 units, plus, who needs 8 outputs of just AC power. The Juicebox is great, but only 2 iso's with 8 outputs, and the other 2 being adjustable to 18v, or sag functions is nice, but would like to see these available on the front panel and not the bottom of the unit. The Juicebox has a 9v AC outlet on the back, but only to 1000 mAmps, need about 1.5 to cover most of our basic AC pedals, plus 2 AC outs would be great.

I would also like to hear about some of the pedals you would like to see powered. i.e., i have an eventide timefactor that i would love an iso out put that had at least 1.5 amps to power this baby.

We would be limited on switchibility between ac/dc (no pun), however i would like to incorpate 2 AC jacks with some hi amperage to power pedals in the liking of a whammy and other AC pedals.

I do think the switchibility between 9v,12v,18v, and 24v could be possible, but i would also incorpate lower voltage selections for "sag" functions, but i'm trying to think of a way to add resistance + sag for a more natural "dying battery" effect. When a battery is loosing power, it also adds resistance, which has alot to do with the changing tone, i think if there were some sort of double, or "stacked pot" this maybe a possiblity, i dunno...

All that will weigh into this is also the size of the unit, i'd like to keep it as small as possible. My main objective is to give people with higher amperage pedals alternatives to wall warts, and have some great AC options as well in the same unit.

20. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

all outputs should be iso-reg. there should be significantly more than 12 outputs (i run six effects MINIMUM). 12, or even 14 would be best. or, 12, and one has lots of MA so you can daisy chain. a few should have variable voltage, up and down, for tubescreamers and the like. should be able to power line 6 stuff. a few should have reversible ground. and it should be relatively small....

and it should be affordable. no more that $110.