Gretsch 6121-FTW (w/mods)

No longer with me...

Soulmate Model 2

Carvin AE-185

Warrior Isabella

axe4me

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm curious about the Isabella.
Tell me about it and why you parted with it.

archey

@wilblee I'm not very knowledgeable on Gretsch guitars. Is the 2nd one pictured a Roundup? I always thought those looked so cool.

wilblee

Hack sans shame
Platinum Supporting Member
@wilblee I'm not very knowledgeable on Gretsch guitars. Is the 2nd one pictured a Roundup? I always thought those looked so cool.
It's not exactly a Roundup. It shares the color, fret markers, headstock inlay, G-brand, and leather trim with a Roundup. Where it differs: Pickups - the Roundup typically has Dynasonics where the 6121-FTW has Filtertrons (TV Jones Classics in this case); Tailpiece - the Roundup has a belt buckle stop tail where the 6121-FTW has a Bigsby; the Roundup has a steer head pickguard where the 6121-FTW has a gold "Chet Atkins" pickguard. I replaced my pickguard with the (IMO way cooler) steer head pickguard. I also replaced the Bigsby flat handle with the wire handle.

Here's a pic before the mods.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Found this plexiglas Strat style guitar on ebay for a good price and thought it would be fun to wire up a light show of some sort in it. So, I routed it for a 9v battery compartment and added a few multicolor LED's that step through 5 colors and one random flash mode with a single momentary switch. Here it is in daylight and a semi-darkend room shown with 3 of the available colors. I was still gigging at the time I made this and the general public got a real kick out of it when I played it on stage.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
I can do eclectic...

My rather obscure Lindberg Carolina, made by Rodebald Hoyer in Germany in the mid 60s. Originally a red burst, now gloriously faded so that it looks spattered in blood.

A Les Paul Professional from 1970. 'Hey, Les, have you seen loads of people are playing your guitar? We should really think about a reissue!' 'That old heap of junk? You should let me design you a real guitar!'

I can't resist making weird stuff as well. How about a guitar that matches your snakeskin boots?

And, for complete obscurity, a five string tenor version:

It's clockwork! A copy of a 1820s Staufer I made in college - the key raises or lowers the action.

Trending Topics