• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Your EQ Pedal That's Not an EQ Pedal...

Billy Idle

I started a thread a few months ago, talkin' about delay pedals you might have prefered to reverb..
I've been using a Lovepedal Echophonic Custom V2's preamp as an always-on tone-shaper for months. And all I'm saying is that once again, I prefer this stompox to every other EQ or Boost pedals I have ever tryed out od owned up to now.
Weird ? Well, maybe not that much...

What are your "alternative" choices ?

Silent Sound

I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but I do use my TS9 as both an EQ pedal and a clean boost. It cuts out the low end and boosts just the right frequencies up top to give me the cut I need.

Something else I'll use as an EQ of sorts that isn't necessarily an EQ is the delay pedal. By adjusting the repeat time of the delay, you're shifting which frequencies get boosted and cut by phase cancellations that are related to the delay time. So with some of my saved delay settings, I get a very significant boost in the treble, and with others, it's more of a midrange boost, even though the delay itself doesn't impart any EQ onto the guitar's tone, at least not in the traditional sense.

Also a parked wah can give you some extreme examples to play with. Also don't forget pickup selection, phase (when using more than one at a time) and height. As well as string selection. I guess some of those aren't readily available to tweak mid song like a pedal would be, but they certainly can effect the EQ.

DaveKS

Used as a 3band dirty EQ/mixer.
80F76CB7-39DC-41CF-A88B-1780994CA407-6139-000017216B6D557D_zps6ebf8d8c.jpg

Totally cut off bass and add just a hair more OD to just the mids. Add a bit more OD to just the bottom after your fuzz pedal. You get the idea.

bigtone23

TS9/SD1 set way low gain/high volume to shape the tone for mid boosts.
Same with a DS1 to do the opposite.

hambone3x3

+1 EP Booster. Set to unity, then turned down all the way gets the low-mid and upper bump without any gain. Love it with single coils.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Ethos Clean. Lots of EQ potential, great clean boost to low gain. Essentially a second amp channel.

Multicellular

Voodoo Giggity, listed as a preamp pedal. Does have EQ section, but is alßo a mild compressor, boost, buffer. Considering replacing tho as i went and added another comp.

meowmers

Love threads like this.

I use a JHS Morning Glory. A BB-based pedal. It brings out some nice sparkle in the cleans and adds a touch of drive. The slight cut in mids help me as well.

I have a Lumpy's Brilliance Boost incoming and it might be kicking the MG out for that purpose

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
Silver Supporting Member
Ep booster and HBOD.

The HBOD's nature knob works like a midrange and bass EQ for me with all my tones.

Top Bottom