your fav humbuckers in a Les Paul...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by beedoola, Feb 18, 2012.

1. beedoola

beedoola Senior Member

GIVEN THESE CRITERIA...

Does good cleans - not too hot yet not too low in output. Harmonically rich, not muddy - PAF...
    Takes to gain pedals well - I use high gain sometimes and want something that can be articulate.

not interested in active p'ups.

can be split coil.

I'm currently using Bill Lawrence L500-L/R in the guitar. They are nice but I'm also curious as to what else is out there, better, etc.

2. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

3. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates

4. Siri

Siri Member

Manlius Modern Vintage. Articulate in HB, powerful enough to split well. I'm happy. Not to pricey either, $150 a set.

5. L_Totti

L_Totti Member

The neck one :p

The description sounds just like any good vintage-style humbucker. You may want to get a bit higher output pickup for the high gain tones but I think it's more about your personal taste than a specific pickup.

The good old 59/JB combo gets my vote though...

6. MRCHILL4

MRCHILL4 Member

The stock burst buckers in my go Paul scream !

7. omfg51

omfg51 Member

Honestly, Gibson made for Gibson is the way to go. Burstbucker Pros. I was absolutely just blown away by their ability to stand up against and even defeat "boutique" hand wound pickups. Gibson for Gibson man, all the way.

8. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

9. Bill M

Bill M Member

My RD-59 set sounds like what your after.

10. peanutavalon

peanutavalon Supporting Member

I've tried 57's, Duncan 59's, Fralin True 60's, Antiquities in my historic and have come to the conclusion that my stock burstbuckers sounded best..They are bright and airy, not muddy, sound good with my timmy and zendrive type pedals.

11. pgurlea

pgurlea Shallow Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I am a big fan of Wolfetone Marshallheads. They are hotter PAF winds. The bridge is 9.2K They sound great clean or overdriven. I do prefer the Alnico 2 magnets for a warmer tone. They come stock with Alnico 5.
    Good Luck,
    Paul

12. cherrick

cherrick Member

13. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

14. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

The True 60s in my R8 sound great.

15. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

Wolfetone. I have a Dr.Vintage in the neck with a fully charged magnet so it's a bit brighter and articulate. The Bridge is a Marshallhead with a slightly warmer Alnico 2 magnet instead of the stock A5 and it's slightly under wound from the normal 9+k (mines about 8.6). Go on his site, it's awesome.

16. goodwater

goodwater Member

just put a set of Shaw humbuckers in my CR8 and I'm really digging them (the replaced a set of Chris Carter PAF replicas that I also really like)

17. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

I'm probably on the higher output side of the scale on this board, but here are some thoughts...

Both my Les Paul Customs have Suhr Aldrich sets. Strong, but clear, lots of detail. High output without sounding high output. I have an Anderson H3+ in an SG Supreme that is similar. Both are great choices for a pickup with some vintage prettiness, but more oomph. Both are midrange-oriented to my ears, which I like. Both makers have a variety of outputs, tho.

If you're looking for a bit more air with your hair, the Wolfetone Fenris(A2)/Timbre Wolf(A5) is also a great choice. I actually really like his ceramic Blisterbucker a lot, too. Less midrange than the Suhr/Andersons, but very "airy". For lower output, the Marshallheads are also great. Wolfe's pickups are always very "pretty" sounding to me, but they don't lack muscle.

I also like the Smits Pickups Moderns (available in a variety of outputs). Still very vintage in character, but also strong and clear. A little more midrangey than the Wolfes, not as much as the Suhrs. Honorable mention to his ridiculous take on the Dirty Fingers, the "Dirty Boy". It's high output, and thick as a Kardashian, but still a lot of detail. Killer pickup. I might actually switch the Suhrs out for these.

18. theruley

theruley Member

super happy with my toneriders alnico 4 pafs in mny les paul. They are splittable and have a very nice vintage output.

19. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

WCR Crossroads/ Darkburst set.

20. DonP

DonP Member

Sorry, I'm a metal hot-head. Love the stock Burstbuckers, either Pro in my Standard or 1&2 in my 2 Historics. Also have the 496R/500T set in a Classic Premium Plus.

The most PAF like I'd say are the P90s in my 1956 LP or the T-Tops in my 77 Custom.