your fave 'bucker for a Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by riffmeister, Jul 31, 2004.

1. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I have a brand new R8 with Burstbuckers. I'm not convinced that these are the best pickups for my taste. They have plenty of top and bottom, but could use some more in the middle.

Suggestions??

2. Two-Octave

Two-Octave Member

What kind of music are you playing? There are many options.

3. riffmeister

Clean & dirty Classic Rock type tones are what I seek.

4. retrospex

retrospex Member

I gig for a living in a classic rock cover band... my guitar is a Gibson Les Paul w/ Duncan Pearly Gates pickups. They are great for classic rock..

5. riffmeister

what are the Ohms for each in your R7?

I have a 8.6K Ohm Fralin (sans cover) at the bridge in my '75 Custom and like when the treble is rolled off a bit.

6. riffmeister

How does the volume and tone roll off with their kit? I want an immediate rolloff of both from the max position. As it is on the stock R8, noticeable rolloff only occurs beginning at about "4" on the knobs.

7. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

Riff,

The Jason Lollar Imperials are hands down the best humbuckers I've ever heard. They do the clean and dirty stuff so well it's friggin' unbelievable!!! :D

8. ahellam

ahellam Member

Duncan seth lover might be what you are looking for riff.

9. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

gibson '57 classic. it could be a tad hotter for distortion, but otherwise its everything i love about les paul tone.

10. george4908

george4908 Member

>>gibson '57 classic

+1. Not the booteek flava of the month, but still a fine pickup.

11. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

In the garage, fixing stuff my kids broke
    Riff, get yourself over to the LP forum and search up Tim White or timbuckers and get on his list. THen get yourself a set of Seths to tide you over because it's a long wait for the Tims. Tims are absolutely incredible. I don't know what kind of magic dust he's sprinkling on those things, but they just plain amaze me every time I play my R8. Played this gig tonight with my blues band using my R8 and my little TR Club Royale. I just flat-out owned the place tone-wise. It was silly. I couldn't get a bad sound. A couple of weeks ago I did this quick and dirty demo with this other band (classic rock/bloozerock) I recently hooked up with. Used my R8 into a stand-alone tube reverb unit into my Super Deluxe and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It's the closest I've come to duplicating the best sounding bridge PAF I've ever heard: fat, warm and singing, yet with that cut.

I actually only have the Tim in the bridge spot because that's the pickup I seem to be the fussiest about. It's always been difficult to get that balance between fat and cut. Seems like most pickups are either to bright down there or too overwound and too dark. So I'm running a Seth neck with the Tim bridge in my R8, and I love it.

Another fantastic neck pickup that I have running alongside a Seth bridge in my R9 is the Voodoo 59 with the Alnico III magnet. Very warm yet articulate neck pickup -- great clarity.

I think the ultimate setup would be the Voodoo 59 neck and Tim in the bridge spot -- I've been mixing and matching around for a bit now, and I think I'm going to set up my R9 like that to be my #1. This is not to say that the Tim neck pickup isn't great either. I just haven't heard it first hand. No matter what, I'd get on Tim's list for at least a bridge pickup. I may even have an extra Seth bridge pickup I could cut loose (I'll give you a screamin' deal -- I owe ya' one; email me).

Take it from a fellow LP/TH player.

12. riffmeister

Fralin
    Lollar Imperial
    Timbucker
    Voodoo 59
    Duncan Pearly Gates, Seth Lover
    Gibson 57 Classic

and then there are those WCR's which everyone is talking about.....

Great to have choices!! :) Now, how to decide what to try first....

P.S. I have Fralin, Seth Lover, Pearly Gates in other guitars....guess I should try a Lollar/Voodoo/Timbucker first! :p

13. Blueser

Blueser Member

Riff,

Trust me on this please....pick up the phone and call Peter Florence (VooDoo). Tell him exactly what you're looking for, and he will wind them for you. I have not tried the Lollars, or the Fralins, and I'm sure they are all great pickups, but Peter is right in your back yard, and will wind them to your taste. You could probably even set up a time to go to the shop where he can swap different stuff in and out for you. He is a luthier of the highest order as well (not many people know that), so there is no risk of him boogering up your R8.

My VooDoo pickups kill in my Historics.

B

14. riffmeister

Bloozah,

Yes........this is VERY tempting cuz he's nearby.

Maybe he can do some work on my older Les Pauls, too........esp some neck/fret issues which have emerged in the last year with the "Old Yellow" '75 Custom.

15. Dave Paetow

Dave Paetow Guest

Original PAFs
    Tim White and Jim Rolph for repros.

16. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

My R7 came with 57 Classics and I've had Fralin 8/9s, Seths and finally Burstbucker 1/2s in it, so I can probably help. I like the Burstbuckers best myself, but I can see where you might want more mids.

You definitely don't want Seths. In my guitar they had the weakest mids of all. I put them in my 335 Historic and they sound great in it, but I mostly use it for clean and blues anyway.

The Fralins were nice, very full mids but a little too much for my taste. They were the darkest of the pickups I tried in my guitar, but did have a very rich tone.

The 57 Classics had a nice kick to them and may be just what you're looking for. They sounded great for classic rock but to me didn't have the upper mid honk of the Burstbuckers, and didn't sound as "vintage". The 57 Classics could be a little harsh on clean tones too but I think that was the price you paid for the extra kick they had in the mids. If I only played classic rock they would have been my favorite.

Hope all this helps.

17. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Riff,
    Not sure what the wait time is for Voodoos, but to give you a sample of their tone, I did all of my original ampsite soundfiles with them. You can also get a dose of what a bunch of different speakers sound like with them at the same time. Here's the link, let me know if you like them, then contact me and I can tell you the exact wind rating, magnets, etc.
    http://www.scumbagamps.com/Speakers/speakerlist.html

They are not his standard wind, just a little less hot in the neck, and a little more hot in the bridge. But take a listen first, then go from there. I've also got Wolfetone pickup, Fralin pickup and Wagner DarkBurst pickup files I can point you to as well, if you're interested.

I'm here to help!
    Jim

18. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

The Lollar Imperial pickups Tyler gave me to check out are really spinning my head around atm. Such an improvement over my classic 57s that it's really not even funny.

19. riffmeister

Improved in what way?

20. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

Tyler and I agree that they are both very "lively" pickups any way that you slice it- I think they are pretty well balanced, but always sound alive and feel interactive- and never lifeless and flat, like my 57's did, even though they were considerably hotter pickups.