your fave 'bucker for a Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by riffmeister, Jul 31, 2004.

1. bjm007

bjm007 Member

Seymour Duncan Custom Shop...

Call Maricela Juarez and tell her exactly what you want. Very short wait, excellent quality... You can go with Seths or Antiquities for a few weeks if you want to try something different.

That said, the Tims are supposed to be the best PAF clones. I was on his list, but when my name came up I was too busy with work to figure out what I wanted! Think I might be working a bit too hard............... ;)

2. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

BattleAngel,

Glad you are diggin' them. They are a pretty huge leap above the 57's. That's what they replaced in my Les Paul and the guitar just came alive with those pickups in there. Jason will also wind them however you like. He's the pickup guru! :)

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

I'm gonna try WCR Goodwoods, Lollar Imperials, and Voodoo '59s.

May the best pickup win!!!! :dude

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

Let us know who wins!

5. Babaji

Babaji Member

...JM Rolph...Simply the best repro PAF out there(IMHO). A pair of them, fresh CTS 500K's, some N.O.S. .02 caps that I stumbled upon, and my R9 is all the way into the zone!
    Regards,
    Bill

6. RevolutionMan

RevolutionMan Member

Diggin the Tom Holmes in my LP, a bit hard to find, but worth the search

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

Well, I certainly could not earn a living as a guitar tech--it took me about 5 hours to remove the burstbuckers and stock pots & wiring and install two new Lollars and the RS Vintage pots & wiring kit (Houvel caps). But I must say, I did a real nice, neat job! :cool:

Brief noodling at very low volume thru a Roland JC120 sounded purdy dern good. Nicley balanced was my first impression. A more thorough testing at Rock 'n Roll volumes through several tube amps will follow............:)

8. somedude

somedude Member

Oh.

My favorite is EMG 85/81.

But I don't think they're what your after.....:(

:D

(Sorry, I'm bored.)

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

I had about 30 min with the Lollars in the R8 through a Tophat Super Deluxe this afternoon.

My initial impression was right on, these pickups have a nice a "balanced" sound to them.

I especially like the neck pickup (7.6K Ohm) which lacked excessive lows and muddiness that I've heard in some other neck pickups. Awesome, I like it lot!

The bridge pickup (8.4K Ohm) really did sound very nice and balanced, with tight lows and an articulate but non-shredding top end. Might not be the right one for me......I think I need a bit more "character" in the bridge pickup........whatever that means, LOL!

Overall, the Lollars are really great sounding pickups and for my taste, represent an improvement over the stock Burstbuckers.

10. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

My R8 came with Classic 57s: they sounded pretty good as is. I replaced them with Voodoo 59s and they are a definite improvement (not that the 57s are bad, it's a noticeable but not night & day difference), slightly better though in the same league as my Fralins (7.5/8.5 set).

I prefer Classic 57s in semihollows (they are stock and have remained in my ES-175 and ES-335 '59 Historic) but the Fralins or Voodoos sound better to me in a Les Paul.

Cheers,
    Jon

11. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

I'll probably play the Lollars for another week or so.

Voodoo 59's are sitting on the bench and will be the next ones to go in! :)

12. spikeRI

spikeRI Member

another vote for the Voodoo 59's. The ones in my R8 are the tone I had in my head for years.....

13. mailman

mailman Member

A +2 or +3 for '57 Classics for the original LP sound.

14. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

Got a new R8 very recently. Had Burstbucker 1 & 2's in it (7.9K Ohm and 8.3K Ohm). I didn't care for the taper of the pots, and the burstcuckers were "okay" sounding, but for my taste they were a bit too big/loose in the lows, glassy on top, and in need of a bit more midrange. I'm a Classic Rock kind of player.....uh......geezer. ;)

So I first replaced the pots/caps (bumblebees) with the RS "True Tone" wiring kit which comes with Hovland caps. Much better taper on the pots, and the caps sound great (transparent).

Then I got in three sets of replacement pickups: Lollar Imperials, Voodoo 59s, and WCR Goodwoods. All are supposed to be similar to PAF's, but the Goodwoods are overwound. Here are my completely unscientific and biased conclusions on how they sound.

Lollar Imperials with nickel covers, 7.6K Ohm and 8.4K Ohm. Very nice!! The nicest balance across frequencies and balance between neck and bridge output. I like these alot. Definitely not too heavy in the bass on the neck pickup, bridge pickup had no icepick whatsoever yet was nicely articulate on the top end. Great stuff!! Maybe a bit "too balanced" though--I need a bit more "character" in the midrange.

Voodoo '59s with nickel covers, 7.9K Ohm (Alnico III) and 8.2K Ohm (Alnico V). Also great stuff! No mudiness in the neck pickup, and the bridge pickup has some real top end sizzle to it! A "good top end sizzle", meaning it had the mids right below it so that it didn't sound thin. Definitely brighter bridge pickup than the Lollar, neck pickup similar to the Lollar.

WCR Goodwoods without covers, 8.6K Ohm and 9.4K Ohm. ZING!!!!!!! These are the ones for me!! Higher output overdrives the front end of the amp easier, fat & hot sound to both pickups. The bridge is a tad bright, but a slight rolloff on the tone control brings it right where I want it. Actually, this brightness is good, because when I roll back on the bridge volume, the natural "darkening effect" can be counteracted by bringing the tone all the way up. This is exactly how I am used to working the vol/tone controls on my P90 guitar when I play with my band. I was skeptical that the extra output of the Goodwoods would compromise the clean tones, but these pickups sound GREAT played clean. Probably the extra bit of brightness because they lack covers is what makes the difference here. Yes, these are a GREAT GREAT sounding set of pickups for my Classic Rock bones......clean and dirt, it's all there, with fat juiciness and great "character" in the midrange. AWESOME!

So long, and thanks for all the fish! :dude

15. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

16. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

Had some more time with the R8 + Goodwoods and a couple more amps and cabs.

Yeowie Zowie........this is a GREAT sounding guitar now! Lots of everything that makes for a distinctive Les Paul sound!! :D

17. Erik

Erik Member

Plus, dealing with Jim is a pleasure.

(Can't wait for my order to arrive!!!)

18. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

Yes he is.....down to earth no nonsense kind of guy!

Which ones do you have on order?

19. Erik

Erik Member

I've got the Hercs on order...should be here any day. I'm also going to order a set of Goodwoods in the next month or so. (It was between them or the Fillmore's.) Based on my conversation with Jim, the Herc's make more sense for the band I'm in...the Goodwoods will be for my personal enjoyment. :D

20. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

Hercs? Heavy, heavy, heavy......:D