your fave 'bucker for a Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by riffmeister, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Erik

Erik Member

Man...like you READ ABOUT!!! I installed the Herc in my bridge last night...forget everything you know about high output pickups, these are perfect. I usually hate high output pickups, but these are amazing. I instantly noticed a much more percussive vibe, notes became very rich and stayed articulate. The thing I noticed most was how easily you could control the pickup via volume knob or pick attack...so easy to manipulate.

Bottom line is that Jim Wagner knows what he's doing...I'm definately going to order a set of Goodwoods for the more traditional Les Paul sound as well.

2. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

Nice description. These sound very nice. I have my first, full fledged humbucker guitar now (a Les Paul R7) and I have a set of Timbuckers (I think ED A wind, I bought them used) in it. I really like the pickups quite a bit, but unfortunately really can't compare them with much else, since I've always been a single coil person. I really am getting into the vibe of the 2 humbucker guitar, though. I like using both pickups for most sounds and then switching to the neck or bridge and turning up the volume for a lead sound. Pedals? Who needs em!

3. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

After reading Riffmeister's thoughts on the WCR Goodwood set I finally took the plunge. Ordered them, got 'em in no time (great service Jim!). Finally had the opportunity to put them in my #1 guitar last night (McNaught VDC), and I can honestly say the guitar was transformed. As happy as I was before with the stock Rio's, the Goodwoods do it all. I stayed up too late, and I'm paying the price for it at work today, but what the heck? What a great product! It was hard to spend that much dough on a set of pickups, but I'm glad I did. I can't wait to get home and play tonight! :)

4. Mike Hansen

Mike Hansen Member

I've had a set of Goodwoods in an R7 for about a year, and I like them more every time I play them. :dude

5. Shemp

Shemp Member

+1 - Voodoo 59s in my 57 GT RI and 57s in my ES 135. I also have a 94 LP Studio with a Rio Basytard/Fat Bastard set of HB sized P90s in it... fantastic change of pace.

I also slapped a Voodoo 59 in the bridge position on one of my strats.... really a rawking pickup.

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

And dat, folks, no matter what your favorite piece of gear is, is what it is all about!! :dude

7. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Supporting Member

Honestly, Jim's pickups are my favorite.

I have WCR SR single coils and Dark Burst humbucker in my #1 (the Grosh) and with the blend knob, I can get amazing tones.

The humbucker alone blew away both the clean and dirty jobs that a set of Antiq. were doing in my Gibson Les Paul Standard (sold it to fund the Grosh).

The SR single coils blow away Kinman, Barden and Fralin IMHO. They are the best I have ever heard... SRV and Jimi in spades. Beautiful tone!

If I ever get another guitar, Jim will be the man I will go to for pickups because he has incredible taste for tone and I know I'll be happy with the outcome. He's a fellow Allman Brothers fan as well ;) (almost want to buy a Les Paul just so I can put AB pups in it).

8. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

I have a set of Wagner philmors I really like.....the guitar they are in I will probably sell, but the pickups will stay! Not sure what I will put them in.....I have a Les Paul Historic 57 Brazilian but it sounds so good I dont think I will mess with it- and a Namm edition Baker B1...also sounds great and dont want to mess with it....I will just have to get another guitar! Damn that gass@@

9. PiRaSSiC

PiRaSSiC Guest

No-one mentioned the Rio Grande pickups which are supposed to be great replacements for Les Pauls / PRS Singlecuts. Never tried one on Les Pauls, but many luthiers here in Europe uses them and they are fat, singing and ballsy.

10. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

Check my post above concerning replacing the stock Rio Grande pickups in my McNaught VDC with WCR Goodwoods. The Rios are good pickups, but the WCRs are in another league.

11. jbright44

jbright44 Member

I've been happy with the newer burstbucker pros that are comming in the new standards. I love mine.

12. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I like the DarkBurst wind a lot...I just got a set of newly minted German nickel-silver covers from Wags and put them on...man,even better than they were uncovered...there's a little sizzle on the top end that wasn't there before-still getting double tone and incredible string separation out the wazoo...I have been using them on the gig for about 3 months and do not see these ever coming out of the guitar(R7 Stinger/60 neck).Jim definitely knows PAF tone! Been doing every type of classic rock/blues on the gig I can think of and now I am convinced he sprinkles magic dust on every set.:D

13. PiRaSSiC

PiRaSSiC Guest

I've just ordered a set of HERCs for my PRS Singlecut! :dude
    Hope they clean up well too when rolled off :D

14. Erik

Erik Member

Please give a detailed review when you get them in!!!

15. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

Played the R8 with new Goodwoods with my band two nights ago. I was using a Harry Joyce Custom 50 (think Hiwatt) and a Two Rock vertical 2x12 and a couple of pedals (including a TIM OD pedal, nice!).

The absolute best Classic Rock Les Paul sounds I have ever heard, bar none, were coming from my amp!!!! :eek:

Thanks Jim, your pickups are tops in my book!!! :dude

16. mkaran

mkaran Member

no-one seems to have mentioned the tom holmes PAF repros or the harmonic design PAFs. is that a lack of visibility on the part of the pickup manufacturers or has everyone tried those and found them lacking? i have a set of holmes PAFs in my '61 SG les paul that are beautifully clear, silky smooth, warm but plenty of top, very balanced... etc... and i have a pair of harmonic design PAFs in my '52 converted goldtop. they are more... "hi-fi" and less vintage authentic, but still a great fir in that guitar. i'm curious about the lollars and the crossroards/fillmore etc series... any more info/opions on those? or others less talked about? thanx! MK

17. heinz

heinz Guest

I like the Duncan Custom 5 or Custom Custom in the bridge for rock stuff, or the antiquity with alnico V magnet in the neck slot.

18. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

I have Harmonic Design p/u's in my P90 Les Paul! They are great!!

19. suhrstandardman

suhrstandardman Member

Duncan JB or 59 in the bridge.
    Jazz in the neck position.
    :dude