your fave 'bucker for a Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by riffmeister, Jul 31, 2004.

1. swankmotee

swankmotee Member

Just wanted to weigh in on the discussion that I as well took the plunge and put a set of goodwoods in my R9 03' and well, it was about as close as it gets to the "REAL DEAL"! I've owned many original PAF's through the years and put them in many different gtrs and these are the best,closest to my ultimate "PEARLY" tone dream. I also had the pleasure of recording quite a bit of the amps at Tonefest 04' with this 03' and it is quite evident that these pups work with a wide variety of amp types to get all the classic tones. Also finally had the chance to hear some "crossroads" in a R59'V Rick Beringi had and am tempted to get some of those as well, in a word they were BITCHIN'!! We cranked them through quite a few exceptional old Marshall's and it was like going back in time for me. Best thing was we had a REAL 59' SB there to A/B against and these PUPS held their own beautifully! There were also great gtrs there loaded with other great sounding pups like Voodoos,Antiquities,Tims, and others and they are all great but it is just a personal thing as to how each one sounded better or worse. I will say this though, the WCR's sounded right no matter who was playin' em! I think that says alot!:dude

2. davidp158

davidp158 Member

I recently bought a 57 Goldtop, and I'm digging it a lot, but I'm not sold on the 57 Classic pickups. I play a mix of roots rock, power pop, blues and alt-country, and do most of my playing with single coil pickups. For the Les Paul, I'd like a brighter neck pickup and a fatter bridge pickup that is still clear. The 57 Classic bridge is pretty good, but a bit lacking in the low midrange. The neck pickup I have a real problem with; too much lows and low mids, and the upper mids are soft. I can dial in my amp to favor one pickup or the other, but not both. I like being able to blend the two pickups together, but the Classics don't seem to have as many combinations as I'd like (the mix tone shifts from one pickup to the other too fast as I dial the two volume knobs).

Any suggestions? How would the Burstbuckers work for my needs, and which ones would you suggest?

I've heard people change out the pots and caps, but would like some info on this. Is there a thread posted here, or a web page that describes this in detail? I'd like to keep most of the high frequencies when rolling back the volume knobs, but I don't want to thin out the sound too much.

Last question: The serial number on the guitar is 7 1525, so would that make this guitar a 1997 build? If so, is it correct that the pickups for that year are the Classic 57s?

thanks in advance for any/all replies,
    Dave

3. DRAGON523

DRAGON523 Member

Your goldtop would be a 2001. The first number, 7, indicates that it is a '57 reissue. The second number is what year it was made, i.e., 1=2001, 2=2002, etc. And the 525 means it was the 525th '57 reissue made that year. As far as wanting a brighter neck pickup, I wouldn't suggest a Burstbucker. I find it to be too muddy. And I can't make any recommendations for a replacement. I'll have to leave that to someone else.

4. Kenster

Kenster Member

Hey David

I am Ken your local neighbor who wants to test drive your Two-Rock. :D I have a 2003 Les Paul Std that I did the CTS Pot
    replacements to 500K's Audio Taper and also replaced bridge
    pickup with Lollars Imperials. The front pick up is the standard
    Burstbucker that came with the guitar. I am real happy with
    how the guitar sounds. I can set my amps (usually Aiken Invader MKI) to my tastes and get what I want for tone on both settings. I do have a 220pf cap on the front pickup volume pot and a 100pf on the bridgepickup vol. pot ,though I could almost go without that one but just needed a little more bite when I roll the volume pots back. When I play the front pup is usually
    set to about 7 on volume and anywhere from 5 - 10 on the bridge.
    When in the front pickup I can get anywhere from Little Wing clean to all out EVH drive in the bridge pickup and everything in between without doing any amp adjustments.

I did all the parts/pickups install myself which is fairly easy.I also
    wired the guitar to 50's style.When we hook up I was going to bring the Les Paul so you can judge for yourself and if you like I'll show you whats involved.. Dont get much better n that.:dude

Also check the Les Paul forum, there is a ton of info on mods for these guitars.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/base.html

Ken

5. davidp158

davidp158 Member

Dragon - Thanks for clarifiying the year of this guitar. I presume that would confirm that the pickups are the Classic 57s.

Kenster - Hey, neighbor. Thanks for the info on the electronics in your LP. When we meet up we can compare guitars, as well as amps. My amp arrived at TwoRock on Friday, and I'll check with Joe and Bill on Monday to get an update.

talk soon,

Dave

6. centaur

centaur Member

Anybody have the links for order the Timbuckers ?

Thanks

7. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

8. shinebox

shinebox Member

I just had some WCR Goodwoods installed and man these things just float my boat:dude

9. centaur

centaur Member

2 years ! :NUTS

10. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Member

WCR Goodwood with Crossroad bridge or Lollar Imperials

11. clothwiring

clothwiring Member

I'm not much of an LPer but my favorite (and one of the few other buckers I've purchased) is a Voodoo Humbucker 59. I think they sound great.

12. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Wolfetone Dr. Vintage
    WCR Crossroads

13. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

+1 :AOK and no two year wait....

Steve E

14. gapple88

gapple88 Member

15. Araw

Araw Member

has anybody else experienced the Voodoo 59s (which I own) being brighter than the Lollar Imperials?

I am looking for a second pair of normal output PAF-type humbuckers, that are as open/bright or brighter than the Voodoos 59s Should I go with the Tom Holmes buckers with the Timbuckers? How do they compare to the Voodoo 59s?

thank you.

16. cugel

cugel Supporting Member

i have a HO in a tele neck position. its a good pickup but i would like to hear it in an lp someday
    for the dough the guy is hard to be and he's friendly and very helpful

17. guitar man

guitar man Member

Spent the last 30 years on this one. For me it comes down to overall tone balance as your pedals can do the rest . I find that using low wind buckers or vintage Paf windings give the best balance. Once you over wind you lose the intensity of sweetness and gets darker. I prefer to start with clean sweet warm tones and then use effects colour. Took me loads of experimenting to realise that this level of wind produces the best tonal results all across the spectrum. High output pickups can make you play differently and can also make you lose feel. I love pups that make you feel like your working at them. Anyhow everyone has their own opinions. So at this moment in time the best stock pups supplied in a guitar for me are the 53/10 and 57/08's made by PRS guitars. These are truly stunning. Fit them to a Les Paul and you"ll see . Then I'd rate Jason Lollar low wind Imperials on par. The PRS's are really hard to get hold of as they only come with the guitars. You find them EBay sometimes and beware of fakes with fake engraving. Oops forgot to mention Bare Knuckle pups - stormy Mondays or the Mule. You won't go wrong with any of these. I would have a guitar each with all of these on as they are all magnificent and different personalities. If I had to keep one it would be the PRS 53/10 fitted to a Modern Eagle board or a Les Paul. Talking of Les Paul's don't listen to the hype about les paul Traditional sounding better than a Les Paul Standard 2008. The standard 2008 is a much more resonant animal and when both are fitted with the same pups the standard wins hands down as its just more vibrant and has a better kneck.