Your Favorite 5E3 Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gkoelling, Jul 1, 2019.

Your Favorite 5E3 Speaker

1. Weber 12A125A

18 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. WGS G12Q

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. Jensen P12Q

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  4. Other-please post your choice for us

36 vote(s)
    52.2%
  1. '59Fatburst

'59Fatburst Supporting Member

I've had great luck with both the Weber 12A125 and the 12A150. To my ears, the 125 had a bit more clarity and sparkle, the 150 had more beef and warmth.

2. jhuse

jhuse Member

I have a Weber Legacy. 30 oz magnet, 30 watt. It sounds great in the 5e3!

3. AA864

AA864 Member

I’m going to have to try this in my 5E3 next. I have this same speaker in an Avatar cab not getting much use.

jpervin likes this.
  4. BGReed2

BGReed2 Member

Sounds interesting. I love my 57 Reissue with stock speaker, but it just doesn't seem to have enough high end. Would the Creamback Alnico help this?

5. gillman royce

gillman royce Supporting Member

6. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

I have a Tone Tubby alnico red in my Beaufort. I like it but it likes to be played loud. Lower volumes it doesn’t do a lot for me, a little stiff. If you’re able to really open up the amp though and play loud it sounds fantastic.

newking70 likes this.
  7. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

Of the three I’d go Weber and my Cortez has a Weber custom made to Tungsten specs and it is a great vintage option.

The Creamback 65 can sound really nice too and the effency is about 97 which is iirc about 3 less than your current speaker.

You can run a Swart night Light as a hidden attenuator if you love the sound of your current speaker.

8. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

I voted 12A125A. I've got two them in a '53 GA20 and a '49 TV Deluxe. I still have the original P12R speakers; one reconed that developed a short and doesn't work, and one in good condition.

If your ears are missing some high end detail out of these old amps the 12A125A will bring it back. Then you have more options with tone controls and volume. If not, go for the gusto of an 'N' type speaker. If you need less volume while wanting to crank the amp, the old 'R' will be attractive you.

The 'Q' type is nice medium ground, and the 12A125A is a nice version for reasonable $.

s360guitarist and gkoelling like this.
  9. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Celestion Blue,...

10. Vox66

Vox66 Supporting Member

The ‘61 Jensen P12Q sounds great in my ‘55 tweed deluxe... well it was in the amp when I bought it. I did try the Celestion blue that I have installed in a ‘65 BFDR but it didn’t sound as good.

11. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I really enjoy a reconed Jensen P12P in my bigg box 5E9-A tweed Tremolux clone.
    Awesome tone! :cool:

Rossi163 likes this.
  12. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Some poster in another 5E3 thread said wattage would be an issue with this speaker, but I'm curious as to how, if the 5E3 is 15W.

s360guitarist likes this.
  13. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

I run my 5e3-type amps uusually at 10 1/2 on the bright channel with normal around 10 or so....plugged into the bright channel, NO problems at all.

Bucksears likes this.
  14. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Well, I bought the Weber 12A125A and it's a big improvement for me. The Emi Black Mountain is a great speaker and would work fine for situations that require more headroom. It just didn't break up until it was way beyond reasonable volume. For classic rock, blues, fusion, it's too clean, too far up on the volume dial. The amp had to be maxed out before and it just wasn't working in my situation.

The Weber has great tone and gives up the goods at a far more tolerable volume. I no longer need an OD pedal.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  15. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I had a 1228 back in '08 when my amp was 1st finished. Like a fool, I sold it. I'd pay far more than the $40 I got for it to have another.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Axis29 likes this.
  16. Scottone

Scottone Member

I have one of these in my Gibson GA6 and it sounds amazing...sure it would be great in a 5E3 as well

17. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

No. (IMO) The a25 is rated at 25w. I have hit mine with a Carmen Ghia, Greer CAM18, Bad Cat Cub ii 15r, Schreyer 5e3, a Bassman on 3, Goodsell 17 etc., etc. All of those amps are gone, (except for the Cub ii) but I still have that speaker.

Bucksears likes this.