Your favorite 6L type power tube & why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Carl_Tone, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

Opinions please.

Please include designation like 'GC' or whatever.

2. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

The GT's are supposedly the Holy Grails believe it or not.......they bought the old GE factory in the states are are actually producing them themselves......I've used them and they are terrific.

3. burner

burner Member

I've been really happy with the JJs and don't see any reason to change just yet.

4. NTBluesGuitar

NTBluesGuitar Member

Winged C 6L6GC.

Great sound, robust, consistent, and well-made. It's one of those tubes that looks like it's made well.

Takes bit more work to get bias voltage right at it's sweet spot.

5. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Tung Sol 6L6GC STR's. Great bass,scooped mids,smooth highs. Very woody with that transparent,open,tone missing from the rest of the new production stuff. Sort of a cross between a '60's RCA and GE with a tighter envelope. My favorite 6L6GC period.

6. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

RCA 6L6GC Blackplates have it all--beautiful, robust, balanced cleans and very musical distortion. Too bad they've gone into the stratosphere in price, when you can find them from a reliable seller.

I really like Tung Sol's 5881 reissues and plan on trying their 6L6GC STR's.

Good thread!

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Mullard EL37. Most headroom of all the 6L6 types. Beautiful full tones with tighter bass than BP RCA's.

However, plate voltage shouldn't exceed 400V so they should only be used in place of any 6L6 type up through 6L6GB.

8. Rick0

Rick0 Member

My vote goes for the mid-80's dual halo getter, tall bottle Sylvania STR 415 6L6GC'S. Very warm sounding with great clean head room. Man what a tube!!

RickO
    http://www.rickowens.4t.com/

9. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

New production - Winged C/SEDs

NOS - I really dig the JAN Philips 6L6WGBs - reliable (in my experience), fantastic tone (less headroom and more mids - which I really like), and reasonably priced still.

10. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Outstanding in Blonde Bassmen

11. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I always wind up coming back to JJ's. I like the balance, harmonic warmth/sweetness and tight bass. Was using GT6L6GE's for awhile, and they were nice, but nothing special in my amps.

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Hey Rick!

I like to use the 415's for gigging, especially if one of the other guitarists is using a small box mid '60's Marshall 50 watter, and I need more "cut". But compared to BP's or the above mentioned EL37's, the STR415's (and 7581A's, for that matter) are a little harder sounding to me ears. So I use them for live gigs, and the other, older designs for the living room playing or recording.

Cheers,

13. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

RCA 6L6GC Blackplates---- GE 6L6GC---- Sylvania STR387.
    My favorite 6L6x2 Fender amps run these tubes but for new 6L6 builds and for budget re-tubes i'm using JJ's and Sovtek 6L6WXT+.........yes, the much-kicked around Sovteks---- they sound good and will take a beating for a long time---- i've been getting some bad JJ's lately but i haven't given up on them yet--- in some amps they are an excellent sounding new production option.................gldtp99

14. NFB

NFB Senior Member

The TAD's are killer.

15. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

Sadly, don't sound like the originals, though. Better choices available, for less, uh... "Inflated" prices

Watford valves seemed to agree....

http://www.watfordvalves.com/cgi-bin/documents/testreport_44.pdf

Avoid the G.T.s........

16. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I just put the TAD (long bottle) in my SLO and they sound killer. Better then the ruby's I had in there.

17. Rick0

Rick0 Member

Hey Jack!
    I'm not sure if I've ever tried Blackplates. If I did, it was in probably in one of my Fenders back in the 60's, (when I likely could't tell the difference anyway). I know that they're considered to be the best by a lot of folks. I should break down and try a pair.
    I fell in love with the 415's back in '85 when I got my Boogie. The STR 387's and 7851A's work really good for me too. I also like the JAN Phillips 6L6WGB's in my Rambler.
    Have you tried RCA Blackplates or Mullard EL37's in your Two-Rock? I'm interested how they sound in that kind of amp.