Your Favorite "80s" Guitars!

stuco

Of all decades of the electric guitar, the 80s guitars (especially the more radical ones) seem to get the least respect and attention these days.

It's amazing how you can often get what were then high dollar instruments for very reasonable prices today. With all the interest in 80s culture I can't help but wonder if these instruments will command big $ one day like their older counterparts. Probably not but who knows. I don't listen to much modern metal but do any of them play the classic 80s guitars anymore? I suppose metal is a genre that is more about the latest and greatest as opposed to blues/rock/jazz/bluegrass etc. which use more "traditional" instruments.

So what were/are your favorite 80s shredders? Post Pics if you can

Ibanez Roadstar:

Ibanez_RS-315_Roadstar.jpg

Last edited:

slowerhand

Silver Supporting Member
I like that Roadstar, first time I see it. I generally have a weakness for 80s guitars, even though I've never been into metal. It's more about the fashion and the sense of youthful testosterone and not taking yourself too seriously.

I like Jackson and Charvel guitars, and I do own a couple of guitars with pointy headstocks. Here's my Jackson. Designed in the 80s but a 2007 model I believe. I'd definitely be game to buy anything Kramer, Jackson or Charvel if the right one comes along.

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0182.JPG

I also own one of these (pictures from a store):
DS00877704_main_thumb.jpg

DS00877704_3.jpg

mullytron

I love me a Soloist. Especially in snakeskin. Classic axe. I also have a soft spot for the Lynch ESP models.

candid_x

The Paul. Sorry, no pics of it, but what a great sounding player. Only LP that's ever felt right on me. Guess it was an '82 or so.

Never got into pointy guitars or FR trems. In the 80's I was focused on supporting my family and fishing. I'd had it with music... until a pastor handed me his worn Mustang and Princeton to play in his P&W band.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

al-pacino-devil.jpg

Sweetfinger

Gold Supporting Member
Maybe 12 years ago one of these in the same color(rainbow zulu, or something like that) came in the guitar store where I worked. The owner was looking to sell. We didn't end up buying it and I've regretted it every day since. The one we missed out on had a Tune-o-matic bridge and tailpiece as well, which I now know to be EXTREMELY rare on these.
Dayglozuluscarbfrtfull.jpg

rob2001

A 1991 Soloist is still my main guitar. It may look dated but there is no dating to a high quality build and sound.

CadillacRed

I probably should not have sold my Washburn HM Bloodsplatter guitar, but I did.

I am looking at some rare Charvels...always had a soft spot for those. I like pointy guitars...it's a nostalgia thing I guess. A Wayne Batwing cme my way once...it was awesome...but needed some work. More of a 90's "80's revival" guitar anyway.

Anybody ever play a Wayne or see a Batwing before? Really neat shape.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I used to have a Washburn A10. Played a lot of gigs with it back in the 80s. Great guitar. Looked like this one except mine didn't have a floyd:

1PhCEL1x7QQR953cg0vKiw==.jpg

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
I would have like to see Chet Atkins pull out a Guild X-79 just to see the audience's reaction.

p1_urk2ywx1x_ss.jpg

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
It's amazing how you can get what were then high dollar instruments for very reasonable prices today. With all the interest in 80s culture I can't help but wonder if these instruments will command big $ one day like their older counterparts. Probably not but who knows.

The original 80s BC Rich Guitars are commanding big $$$. I had a couple in the 80s and they were nice.

bcgb10k.jpg

rob2001

I used to have a Washburn A10. Played a lot of gigs with it back in the 80s. Great guitar. Looked like this one except mine didn't have a floyd:

1PhCEL1x7QQR953cg0vKiw==.jpg

Did yours have a Wonderbar? They were heavy, but really stable trems. I used them on a few builds. They were some of the only bolt on trems I could find that were stable.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Did yours have a Wonderbar? They were heavy, but really stable trems. I used them on a few builds. They were some of the only bolt on trems I could find that were stable.

Mine was a hardtail. Strings went thru the body like a hardtail strat.

I remember the wonderbar. Never tried one but they were huge if I remember correctly.

cajunboy2k

A 1988 Bc Rich Gunslinger. This was my holy Grail in the late 80's. I finally got it in 2008. Plays like buttah!!

Gunslinger.jpg

Last edited:

rob2001

Mine was a hardtail. Strings went thru the body like a hardtail strat.

I remember the wonderbar. Never tried one but they were huge if I remember correctly.

Yep, huge and heavy. But stable with good tone. They command big bucks, or at least they did 10 years ago. I was paying as much as $200.00 for them on Ebay. I stopped using them once I got the hang of routing for Floyds.

RedTiger

My # 1 is a '91, but it was first produced in '87, so, close enough ;) :

100_0864.jpg

A lot of these do still hold their value. Older Jem prices are far above what they listed for in their respective year. Even if you're lucky and get a good deal, you'll still be paying more now than you would have at the time.

Top Bottom