Your Favorite Boutique Instrument, 2010-2019

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by scmavl, Jan 3, 2020.

1. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

I guess I was typing my reply while you posted yours. Yanuziellos are interesting, because even his full size is a small guitar. But WOW, do they pack a wallop. I've wanted to try a cupcake as well. Very cool!

2. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Supporting Member

Chapin is way underrated, IMO, and she’s a beauty!

KHK, Tom Gross and fourtet102 like this.
  3. Scottone

Scottone Member

My favourite was my MotorAve Belaire. Unfortunately, due to some shoulder issues, I had to move to lighter guitars, but the Belaire was killer.

DucRyder, Thor, splatt and 11 others like this.
  4. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

Wish I could play but I have about four on my list.

superstratjunky likes this.
  5. iggs

iggs Member

6. Down and Out in NYC

Down and Out in NYC Gold Supporting Member

7. badgerchemist

badgerchemist Gold Supporting Member

8. Down and Out in NYC

Down and Out in NYC Gold Supporting Member

9. AD

AD Gold Supporting Member

10. trap

trap Supporting Member

My Tyler SE still nails it for me.

splatt, Bob Pollock, lifeson1 and 5 others like this.
  11. bearbike137

bearbike137 Member

I know you said "instrument", but I gotta say - my favorite boutique purchase of the past decade has to be the Throbak SLE-101+ MXV pickups in my Collings I-35LC (I am guessing that Collings is no longer considered "boutique"? Otherwise that I-35LC is my favorite purchase over the past decade). Before I tried the Throbaks, I adamantly believed there was no way they were worth the asking price. I was wrong. They are a game changer.

moosie and 71strat like this.
  12. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

This is super easy because after a fair number of other boutique guitars have come and gone, only one is still standing amongst the Gibsons and Fenders (and a Rickenbacker!) around here- and that my friends is the Rick Kelly Bowery Pine Tele.

https://www.kellyguitars.com/

[​IMG]

Rick did such a great job with this build, it’s basically a living thing. As for electronics it started life with a 1963 Firebird in the neck but during the build we spec’d it for a full bucker just in case, and bingo the John Lennon trick actually ended up working in this Tele full time (Pat# Sticker Embossed Gibson bridge pickup flipped for neck use). The bridge is a Duncan Antiquity II which has a great bite to it and creates the perfect mid pickup selector tone when both pickups are firing. Feels great, sounds killer!

Cindy Hulej apprentices with Rick, and made the wood pickguard, patterned after Korean Celadon pottery from the Goryo Dynasty. Just the perfect finishing touch, and now the Tele is unquestionably one of a kind, honestly it may be the only thing I would consider passing down as an heirloom in my family.

Edit: oh man I see the initial build was finished in 2008 so I didn’t make the cutoff! Well to be fair the new pickups and pickguard finished the final form after 2010 so that counts right?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  13. prsflame

prsflame Member

I'd post a photo, but I haven't had an image hosting account in years and I can't seem to upload from my phone.
    If we are strictly speaking 2010-2019 the only boutique guitar I purchased during this time period was a Ron Thorn Falling leaves Artisan Master. I remember thinking I had missed the boat on them. I emailed Ron Thanksgiving day 2017 and he actually responded back quickly. I got the last one. The guitar is just exceptional. It's a double cut, but at times sounds like a Les Paul. It has a Mike Bloomfield "Live at the Fillmore" type vibe. It can also be dialed up to get some incredible rock tones, like old AC/DC. It's a guitar I would never have spec'd out this way on my own, but it's become one of my main guitars over the last 2 years of ownership. I have 2 other Thorns I custom ordered, and this one is so very different from the other two. I had no idea at the time Ron would move on to Fender and it would be one of the last few runs.
    I always felt very comfortable dealing with Ron. I was never worried about him taking my money and running away. Communication was always spot on. I am not someone that bothers a luthier every 2 seconds, but simple communication goes a long way with me. If there is a delay, just let me know and I am a reasonable person. I am not in the market for a custom instrument now or anytime soon, but I see here all the time, the luthiers with the talent, communication skills , and business sense succeed. The others tread water for awhile until things catch up to them and ultimately go south.

Thor, WayneM, fishleehooker and 5 others like this.
  14. moehuh

moehuh Member

Callaham black guard Tele

Best 50s Tele copy I've ever heard and it's extremely close to the real deal. Unfortunately, he doesn't build guitars any more. Some second hand ones go for ridiculous money ($8k+)

15. pmjgear

pmjgear Silver Supporting Member

This is interesting. I actually decided against a set of Throbaks because of how expesnsive they are (opting for Lollar instead).

16. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Moder8er Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jeez ... not again. ;)

You know I'm just kiddin' ya, brother John. Beautiful guitar. Use it in good health!!

superstratjunky and John Hurtt like this.
  17. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

I absolutely love this guitar...everything about it is perfect for me!

Teleplayer likes this.
  18. ultra

ultra Member

Can I sneak in a late 2009 beauty? Michael Stevens Neo Classic "Watermelon". I cannot live without this guitar (and my other Stevens korina Classic).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    DucRyder, Thor, Teekon and 23 others like this.
  19. pattste

pattste Member

My Foxtrot by Montreal luthier Vincent Latulippe. I wanted this guitar to combine my favourite aspects of the best guitars I've owned. Vincent even cloned the neck of the guitar that had been my #1 for seven years. I got to choose the woods and all the components (Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday pickups, Graphtech Ratio tuners, TonePro bridge and tailpiece) and Vincent delivered on my vision of a guitar that's a perfect fit for my needs and taste in music (fusion, prog rock, jazz, jam bands in no particular order). Impeccable craftmanship.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thor, Frater B, Swami Asango and 6 others like this.