Your Favorite Boutique Instrument, 2010-2019

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by scmavl, Jan 3, 2020.

1. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I can't pick just one but, I will say ANY of my James Trussart guitars. Teye would be a close second but, Trussarts take the cake for me.

makeitstop likes this.
  2. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I really can't decide between these two, with a slight lean towards the one on the right.

DucRyder, Thor, Teekon and 21 others like this.
  3. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I would happily pay to take the one on the left off your hands. :D

fishleehooker likes this.
  4. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

5. desertrat07

desertrat07 Supporting Member

Easy...the only guitar I've ever custom ordered, and Matt (M-Tone) hit it out of the park. I've played it a lot since it was delivered in 2017, and it is still revealing new sounds to me 2 years later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. shawnerie

shawnerie Member

At this point probably a Melancon HSH black limba. It’s got the magic tone and a sort of secret sauce.

Frater B likes this.
  7. Corinthian

Corinthian Member

[​IMG]
    Probett Rocket. For me it's a toss-up between this and a Yaron Singlecut, but I'm going to give it to the Probett for no other reason than it's an original design rather than a replica of something else (though to be fair it's mostly an amalgam of other guitar designs).

8. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

Very cool. What is the round thing between the pickups?

desertrat07 likes this.
  9. desertrat07

desertrat07 Supporting Member

It's an old piece of red coral that Matt had laying around...purely aesthetic, but gives it even more personality.
    [​IMG]

10. Jazzmann

Jazzmann Member

11. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

These are the customs ordered and received on the past decade. My favourite is Fano GF6 on the right. That guitar just resonates like no other guitar I've tried. Other two are from small builders in Finland.

bullet6759, FiestaRed and derekd like this.
  12. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

From the decade, I think I only ordered two boutique guitars. I bought several used, but worked with the builders on these 2. Neat stories on both, but of the pair, the Asher is my favorite by far. Bill Asher jumped on the idea of a high quality recreation of my first electric, a crappy Tiesco from Montgomery Ward. Sounded amazing but kept falling apart. Bill used his knowledge and design, I picked out the woods, and here it is, 5 years later. We went for the same color and an equally interesting pickguard. Just a superb instrument, and now a model called the TG3 that can be ordered.

[​IMG]

I'm not a Strat guy. Best Strat I ever played was the one I should have bought back in '83. A refinished '62 with replacement pickups that sounded big and clear. Had been refretted---played wonderfully. Sold in about 15 minutes after I touched it. The guitar was supposed to be gold sparkle, but the clear was actually amber, so it looked like a cross between gold and orange sparkle. They didn't even wait for it all to dry before putting it together, because the neck plate and top jack had smooshed into the finish. It was the one that got away until John Suhr built this for me. Big neck, big frets, great pickups, big voice---and after sending me samples to choose from, he nailed the sparkle color of the old '62. A modern tribute to a long lost love.

[​IMG]

13. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

Totally impossible to pick just one!

14. fourtet102

fourtet102 Supporting Member

Chapin Tele for me.

KHK likes this.
  15. BobChuck

BobChuck Silver Supporting Member

16. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Gold Supporting Member

without a doubt, my Rocketfire SRG TE62. I've had Nick Sorensen build 3 guitars for me, two were from his original Rocketfire line, one M1926 (S-Style) and one P413 (T-Style), each of those were masterpieces themselves, but the last one he built for me was one of his Secret Recipe guitars.. and it is pretty much my #1 now for over 3 years. It has that "something" that sets it apart. I've tried several other boutique T-Styles and MANY Fender Telecasters... they're all great, but missing whatever fairy dust he put on this one.

It's a 60s - style, with Alder body, PERFECT neck with Madagascar Rosewood fingerboard, and Arcane 65-Experience pickups. One of the best relic jobs I've ever seen. It's tone thick, throaty, has "just enough" twang, but is the most Rock-n-Roll telecaster I've ever played.

[​IMG]

17. maplebaby

maplebaby Member

18. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

19. Maggie_O

Maggie_O Member

For me, it's got to be my Rick Kelly Bowery Pine snakehead. It's got a one piece body, made from the joists of Jim Jarmusch's old loft in the Bowery, and a one-piece neck of paduk, salvaged from the old stock of an out-of-business percussion builder. The paduk was going to be used to make the tone bars of a marimba. Every part of the guitar has a tap tone that will ring and decay, just like if you plucked a string.

[​IMG]
    Rick Kelly Bowery Pine Snakehead Tele, January 04, 2018
    by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Oh, and if we could add an acoustic, it'd be my Waterloo WL-12.

[​IMG]
    Waterloo WL-12, March 08, 2018
    by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr