Your favorite clean blues tone for under $1500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wrxplayer, Feb 7, 2008.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I've been experimenting with mid priced combo amps the last month or two. Tried a Rivera Chubster 40, Genz-Benz Black Pearl BP30 212, and Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special 112. Blues is my preferred music. To my ear, these rank Mesa first by a fair margin followed by Rivera/BP different but equal. In a quest for perfect clean blues tone.

From what amp in this price range (or less) do you get your favorite clean blues tone?

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

in the world of 1x12's look no farther than the gibson ga15. 15/7 watts of PTP 6v6 goodness. Probably the warmest sounding amp i've played to date. You can dial it in bright, but that fullness is always there.

if you wanna go bigger than 112, the super reverb has always struck me as the ultimate clean blues tone.

3. theHoss

theHoss Member

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

There's a CARR Rambler 15 for sale is the classsified area of this site that is just what the good Doctor ordered for you. There may not be a better amp for "Da' Blues" that a Rambler 15.

:BluesBros

5. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

A properly serviced vintage Pro Reverb or Super Reverb will definitely fill that bill.

6. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Getting some very nice tones outta a Marshall Bluesbreaker RI combo ( jtm45) as of late for da blues.

7. dumeril7

dumeril7 Member

A Ceriatone DC30 with a custom cab. The top-boost channel is just killer for blues. Scott Henderson's Dog Party was recorded with a real-deal DC30.

D7

8. freeradical

freeradical Member

Tweed Bassman RI/LTD.

9. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Alessandro Working Dog combos are a LOT of amp for the money. I've seen a couple of used ones recently in the $800 range...

10. cffluntouch

cffluntouch Gold Supporting Member

Blackface super reverb can be had around that price with a couple issues. I think for clean blues you may not do better. Without a pedal think Ronnie Earl, add a pedal think Robben Ford.

11. Dale

Dale Member

Richter 5e3, Black Pearl, El Diablo.

12. bynt

bynt Member

Man I really liked that Vox handwired 15 jobby for blues. I played for a few days at work (guitar teacher at a music store) and I still think about that one a great deal.