Your Favorite Compressor ???

mjt335

I like the Barber Tone Press. The blend knob allows you to dial in as much of your clean/uncompressed sound as you want, which for me is awesome.

KFBR392

Silver Supporting Member
I love my Dyna Comp (picked it up in mint, NIB condition with box and papers for $35) and my CS-2. The DC adds some great color and nice grit at higher output levels, and the CS-2 is able to really squash but somehow not add too much color. I use the CS-2 for guitar and DC for bass, although they both work great for each application.

DraggAmps

Definitely the Empress Compressor. Easily the best I've tried. I also liked the Wampler Ego comp, Diamond comp, and Mad Professor FGC, but none of them nearly as much.

Hey_wilson

I have Mr. Squishy and I'm a huge fan. The only thing i dont like is it brings my volume down a bit so if you have a boost your should be golden

ChaseTMP

I like the Orange Squeezer-based pedals. I use compression differently than most, which is; primarily to push things into a saturated feedback in conjunction with my drives and time-based effects. I couldn't get the same sound/feel with the Boss CS-3 I had, nor the Diamond, I have now.

John Fromel, is currently building a custom OS-based compressor for me. I had an Analogman Bi-Comprossor years ago and didn't realize that I'd be chasing my tail to get back to the OS portion of that pedal's sound.

valentine1

i am in need of a compressor for my bass guitar, i primarily play with a punchy mid/low-type pop punk sound. i have been looking at the malekko chorus and the mxr compressor... any ideas? <3

(i know you all play guitars and may not have much advice for us lowly bassists...)

Marrrty

i am in need of a compressor for my bass guitar, i primarily play with a punchy mid/low-type pop punk sound. i have been looking at the malekko chorus and the mxr compressor... any ideas? <3

(i know you all play guitars and may not have much advice for us lowly bassists...)

if your after punchy then a compressor is not what you are looking for, a comp. will take all the "punch" away

snod911

Check out the new Empress Compressor. I love it. It's the first truly transparent sounding compressor pedal I've played, and has tons of tweakability. It will also do the squashed thing, if that's what you're after. A little pricier than the others, but it's like having a rack-mount studio compressor right on your pedal board. Best sounding pedal compressor, IMO.

What's your favorite compressor and more importantly why? What separates it from the rest?

The Eventide Omnipressor built into the Space pedal.....because it can do what Eventide calls ultimate compression....the volume output is the same regardless of the input signal. So if you play a single note, or strum a chord, you hear them at the same volume.

Of course, not everybody wants this.....but it works for me.

drolling

I love my Dyna Comp (picked it up in mint, NIB condition with box and papers for $35) and my CS-2. The DC adds some great color and nice grit at higher output levels, and the CS-2 is able to really squash but somehow not add too much color. I use the CS-2 for guitar and DC for bass, although they both work great for each application.
These were my ONLY compressors for 35 years!

A 'script-logo' DC still cannot be beat for that 'chick'n pick'n' thang. Even the way it Effs with your tone has come to be a desirable part of the overall effect!

The CS-2 doesn't seem to mess with the base guitar tone as much (why they stuck a *tone* control in the CS-3 will forever be beyond my comprehension) and it also has this sustaining quality I don't hear in the Dynacomp. For that reason, this is the one to go to for that elusive fake pedal-steel tone!

This place ruined it for me, tho'... Had to start experimenting, and now both the BOSS & the MXR are retired in favor of two newcomers; Diamond & BJFe

The Pine Green does pretty much everthing I need, "effect"-wise, and the Diamond's on all the time. It's got a handy-dandy 'tilt' EQ circuit that's very useful when switching from singles to hums to electroacoustic guitars

There are so many great ones out there now. The Joe Meek stuff, in particular, really intrigues me, but after 6 years @ TGP, I've had to stop collecting pedals!

teleclem

The Eventide Omnipressor built into the Space pedal.....because it can do what Eventide calls ultimate compression....the volume output is the same regardless of the input signal. So if you play a single note, or strum a chord, you hear them at the same volume.

Of course, not everybody wants this.....but it works for me.

Interesting. Is it possible to use this without the verb (just to try it out)? I've been eyeing the Space.. would be a cool feature to check out.

Liquid_Mojo

Silver Supporting Member
I've had the Dyna Comp, Barber Tone Press, Diamond Comp, and the Pine Green. Sold the Barber and used the Diamond for a couple of years. The Diamond is a fine compressor, but when I got the Pine Green, I sold the Diamond. I like the sweetness that the PGC adds to my clean sound. I would recommend either one.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom