Your favorite delay in a pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ken Whisler, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Ken Whisler

Ken Whisler Supporting Member

Time for me to get a new delay. My budget is whatever the Evil (G) Empire (C) will give me for a 90's Ampeg SuperJet that I'm not using, probably @$250.

My workhorses during the late 80's going well into the 90's were Roland SDE 1000's that I'd simply sandwich one between my head and cab ( I see you guys grimacing; it was the 80's!) and plug straight into the head. I loved the way those sounded and functioned, but I'd like to get it on the floor.

I'm currently using a Red Witch Violetta; it sounds decent but those tiny knobs, and I'd like to be able to store up a few presets.

My current amp is a recently acquired Moyer modded Vibrolux, it ain't going anywhere for at least awhile. There is no effects loop, so whatever I get will have to sound good plugged straight in.

The one that's caught my eye the most is the TC Nova. Any others I should consider before pulling the trigger?

2. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Are you looking just for digital? What features do you need? Presets? Tap tempo?

You could get a dd-7 if you want a good digital delay with some features like to tempo in a pedal. For the high end of your range, you could get a used DMM xo, which sounds great but is light on features. You could also get something like a Belle Epoch or a Moog MF Delay, both are awesome.

3. Ken Whisler

90% of the time, I used it simply to add body to most leads and some rhythms in a trio situation, not unlike the way Eric Johnson uses one, but the "mix" is dialed back a bit more than Eric's. However, I find at times I like a longer, more pronounced Gilmourish delay, and I'm also playing around quite a bit with how Brian Setzer uses his old tape Space Echo on his solo version of "Sleepwalk" performed live at the Ryman; which is several fairly quick repeats. A modulation knob is a must for that kind of delay, and I've entertained the notion of getting an RE-20 just to simulate that kind of delay, though I'd be giving up the ability to store presets.

4. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

You can incorporate your rack effects into your pedalboard using this.

[​IMG]

Otherwise it sounds like your looking for a digital multi-effects floor unit. Maybe the Timefactor or H9.

5. jordane93

jordane93 Member

How about an Alter Ego X4?

6. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Supporting Member

Sound like you want a timeline. Just save a little money.

7. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

You might get a Timefactor for $250 if you're lucky, I did
    I kept the Vox Time Machine for some extra slapback when needed
    (and it's good to have a spare 'easy to tweak' delay)

8. Ken Whisler

I ended up with a Boss DD20. It is obvious that it is more delay than I will ever need, but it was pretty doggone easy to dial up the ambient echo that I used to use my old SDE1000's for, pretty doggone easy to get that Setzer "Sleepwalk" tape echo sound. As it sits, that covers most of my needs, and I still have 2 open presets and a huge learning curve ahead of me. I see this delay doing ok for me. :)

9. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

A used TimeFactor is a good choice, IMO.

10. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

I know you already picked the DD20, but consider the Timefactor if you are going to upgrade.

11. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

BOSS DD3 or DD5, depending what I need @ the time.

12. <JT>

<JT> Member

Great choice! DD20 is a fantastic delay!