1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorite envelope filter

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by heavision, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Stupid question here - is the Spectrum digital or analog?

2. Baskervils

Baskervils Member

Evil Filter... also, parametric EQs are great. Maestro Wah.

I don't really care for auto wahs.

3. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

Digital

Bluesful likes this.
  4. Junco Partner

Junco Partner Member

I really wish Moog had put an envelope filter into the Minifooger line before it folded. They really could’ve done something amazing. I think they have one in the original Moogerfooger series but those things are massive, and prohibitively expensive now that they’re out of production. The filter on the Drive sounds great when swept with an expression pedal, but obviously it’s just not the same as getting that fast quacky envelope response.

If you’re down with going digital, there is a Moog filter modeled in the Zoom MultiStomp series that sounds pretty cool, plus some other classic guitar oriented models, plus weird stuff like a vocal formant filter, sample and hold, even a Zvex Seek Wah style stepping filter. Of course, you’d get tons of other effects in the package as well.

I’ve only had two standalone env. pedals, a cheapo Chinese mini (Valeton Katfish, surprisingly ok and versatile) and the DOD 440 reissue. 440 is great and easy for getting that classic sound, I wouldn’t recommend it if you’re looking for tweakable though.

5. Perique

Perique Member

I use a EHX Riddle. It has a crazy amount of flexibility; the blend control is a nice touch.

Deadicated likes this.
  6. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Not going to get crazy sounds, but these are the absolute best IMO.

7. ElliotG

ElliotG Member

8. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

I was using a rubber chicken for a long time, really liked it. Very rubbery. If analog, that's my pick, personally. Or the subdecay above, or the WMD fatman. Some pretty bitching analog filters, but the Chicken is easy to dial and has a handy volume control, isn't multiple hundreds used.

But I have since picked up a Source C4, and if you are a envelope filter guy, either that or the spectrum is rapturous. Want to lose an afternoon dialing in all manner of filter sounds, subtle to extreme? It happened to me with a C4.

9. Franklin

Franklin Supporting Member

I love my Analogman, but it sounds like you may like an Xotic
    Robotalk. I think Analogman may sell them.

10. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

Check out the boss dynamic filter ft-2 - only made for a year or two so quite rare but worth the effort. They sound more synth-like with the filtering than the others.

stanshall likes this.
  11. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

12. diego.fresh

diego.fresh Member

Source Audio filters are amazing but there is a learning curve and you really need to use an external editor. Or at least load presets from the Neuro community. That right there is a benefit you will not get anywhere else. Preset sharing is key.

But on the surface, the Spectrum does pretty well. I have a c4 and it is a beta model so I had to make my own sounds. But the onboard spectrum presets do sound really good.

guitarnet70 likes this.
  13. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

I've edited the 6 presets just from the front panel, and that is enough for my needs. It sounds (and feels) spectacular, specially with a bit of drive after it.

14. B Vance

B Vance Member

Just picked up one of these guys this week.

[​IMG]

Lots of options. Great touch and tone all around. Very usable and musical.

friend33 likes this.
  15. Fantastic cook

Fantastic cook Member

Have the C4/Spectrum, and it’s great. Another option to consider would be their earlier Soundblox models like the poly-mod pro, stingray, or manta. No need for an app/editor and they’re also very versatile and capable.

But there’s also the possibility that this could be the kind of weird you’re looking for.

cubistguitar likes this.
  16. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

Nice to see all the love for the Rubber Chicken. I enjoy mine, very easy to get good tones.

For weirdness, the Digitech Synth Wah has a lot of options. A lot of them don’t sound particularly musical to me, but might be perfect for sonic explorers.

17. B Vance

B Vance Member

Thought I'd throw up a few vids of the 3Leaf Proton. When you get an envelope filter, you have to play along to an Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians backing track.

Clean clip. Toughest thing about this pedal is trying to play it without making the ridiculous "wah face".

18. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

mu trom mini tron is the jerry you seek. u also pay well for it

currently using lovepedal rubber chicken 4 knob. its not as good but its 1/4 the price and is close enough

Mosley and stanshall like this.
  19. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I know this is a sort of dormant thread, but I recently picked up a WMD Protostar, which is just fantastic. An unbelievably flexible feature set, and sounds terrific.

[​IMG]
    I still have a couple things that I wish this pedal had, but they are pretty minor.

Mosley and friend33 like this.
  20. p.j.

p.j. Member

I had the original version and it was very cool.