Your Favorite Fender Neck Configuration?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dollar, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Dollar

Dollar Member

So what's your favorite neck for strats and teles. I'm talking about neck back profile, neck thickness (front to back) at nut and 12th fret, nut width, fretboard radius and fret size.

Right now my favorite is a USACG 1-11/16" nut width. Back shape is a "54" profile that is a super soft V .850" at the nut and tapering to a C shape .970" at the 12th fret. Fretboard is a 7.25" to 9.5" compound radius with 6100 fretwire.

I like the feel of this neck over the regular C shape because the soft V has a little less shoulder on it witch makes it easier for me to wrap my thumb. I also like the extra thickness to fill up my hand, it seems to provide more support.

I'm considering trying some larger necks and wanted to get some ideas of what other people like and why.

2. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

I like the Soft V for leads and moving chord changes. Otherwise my thumb starts to cramp for simple I IV V Blues chording.

Other than that it's the C shape necks, I don't like them extremely chunky, but I do wish the modern C's had just a little more girth to them. I swapped my Soft V on my strat to a modern C, my tele has a C chunkier than the modern C, it's probably my favorite.

3. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

USACG 1-11/16" nut, "C" neck "The '63" but first frets starting at .0800, jumbo frets (6150), maple conversion 25" neck. Small hands here

4. Doodad

Doodad Member

Tell me what my 73 tele deluxe has and that is my answer. I know C shape, but what else to know?

5. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

6. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Member

What amazes me is that I have 2 polar opposites........an EJ Strat and a '51 Nocaster and I love thm both! Fender DOES know necks.

7. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Yep, I'm in agreement there.:AOK

8. Dollar

Dollar Member

What is the Neck like on the EJ? From what I recall it's similar to the neck I spec'd above?

I've heard nothing but good about the EJ Strat.

9. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

I have very small hands, but I like big "C" necks - my Historic R8 and Historic ES-335 have nearly identical necks which just are perfect for me.

My Nash S has a USACG 1 11/16" nut width, 0.88" at first fret, 0.95" at 12th fret full C shape with 9.5" radius and 6105 frets. I love it too.

10. gururyan

gururyan Member

Fender Soft "V" shape with 9.5-inch radius

11. JustAHack

JustAHack Member

I'm with Hipster Dofus & Thwap, the EJ has an amazing neck. :AOK

The neck is similar to what you spec'd above in terms of shape - soft V at the nut, tapering to a nice round C at the 12th fret. But has a constant 12" fretboard radius rather than 7.5" to 9" taper. Frets are wide like 6100, but more rounded and not as tall, maybe more like 6130 or 6150 wire. I don't know the exact neck thickness, but it's substantial for a Fender (Strat, anyway). Wonderfully soft shoulders and rolled edges. I can switch effortlessly between a (truly fat) Gibson Les Paul neck and the EJ, and feel totally at home either direction.

I've read lots of complaints about the necks being sticky when new, but I honestly believe this is just a nitro fact of life until it's a little "played in" - a week or two maybe. My Les Pauls had the same issue when new, and gunked up horribly with playing time. Within a short time, they were like oiled glass - just like the EJ. Now when my hands sweat, it gets slicker, not gunked up. But when I need to quickly change positions and anchor my thumb for double-stops, it stays put and doesn't slide around. The EJ is absolutely a player's neck.

12. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

Warmoth boat neck

-1" from the 12th fret to the 1st

-1 and 3/4 wide at the nut

-Compound radius - 10" to 16"

-6100 jumbo frets

13. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Warmoth Fatback (simply a very full C) or comparable (1" at 1st fret and 1" at 12th fret).

I prefer a 9.5" radius, although a vintage 7.25" doesn't seem to bother me with fatback necks.

1 11/16" nut width, and 6105 or 6150 fret size.

14. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Warmoth standard and Fender Eric Clapton

15. PolyMorf

PolyMorf Member

The modern C on '06 MIM strats with medium jumbos fit my hands very well. I have short fingers.

16. George H

George H Member

Nocaster Relic for me........

GH:)

17. Brick

Brick Member

I love my Pleked AllParts TMNF-FAT neck on my Tele! For me, the shape and feel are the best I've ever played.

-1.650" nut width
    -9.5" fret board radius
    -full 1" thick "D" backshape, from the 1st through 12th frets
    -"Nitro" finish (whatever that means)

18. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

+1

love 'em

19. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I like my Cray which is a 62 C .86" at fret 1 and 1.00" at fret 12. 9.5" radius But the nut is 1.650 - I wish it was 1 11/16" I've got a USA Custom Tele neck on the way that is a 63 C .84-.97 with a 1 3/4 nut, 12" radius.

20. Dollar

Dollar Member

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm thinking about going up to around a .090" thickness at the 1st fret and then changing the back shape to a more exagerated V than the Super Soft V to remove a little more shoulder. I have small to medium sized hands so I like the less pronounced shoulder of the SSV over a C shape but I also don't like really thin necks. Anyone care to expand on why they like the Sizes/shapes they use. I know it would be best to try as many different shapes as I could but I just don't have that option where I live.