Your favorite guitar tips..........

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by whitehall, Aug 18, 2006.

1. whitehall

whitehall Member

We all have these, especially those of us (geezers) that have been at it a long time. Here's a few of mine, please add to the list.
    ... Olive Oil .. after using everything by everyone for fretboards I like this best. Cheap , simple, organic, and it works. I use the extra virgin, not that it matters but I cook, so it's always around. Swallow a teaspoon yourself while your at it, it's good for you.
    ..... Tire levers.. get these from a cycling shop, hard plastic, cheap, indestructable. I have a set that lifts knobs off perfectly on one end, and the other end fits exactly in a Gibson tailpiece stud and leaves no marks.

2. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Snake the cable through the guitar strap before you plug it into the guitar. That way, if you step on the cable on stage, the guitar doesn't come unplugged.

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

Bend down the toggle switch on a tele and it'll be out of the way of the volume knob, so you can use the switch without hitting the volume knob.

4. suttree

suttree Member

1) stop playing so loud. a) if you can't hear the rest of the band, you're not playing well, and b) the quieter you are on stage, the better you will sound in the sound system.

2) duct tape, side cutters, screwdrivers and allen keys, string winder and spare strings. why are you leaving home without them?

3) buy better cables. better yet, go learn to make your own.

4) unless you're bb king, you're probably playing too fast. take a breath.

5. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

on a strat......3 in 1 oil on bridge saddles and nut,i dont go out of tune

6. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

Anybody use silicon spray on the bridge saddles and nut?

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Doesn't it get sticky and then rot?

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Block the vib arm to allow downbends only; a compromise, but effective.

9. alanfc

alanfc Member

10. scottlr

scottlr Member

Yes :)

11. guitardude5

guitardude5 Member

12. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

Perfect timing. the b and hi e on my tele have been infuriatingly tempermental the last couple days and it's time for a string change.... Any special tips? I think I have one of the straw-type things you stick in the nozzle of the can, but I'm thinking: spray a little in a bowl and then transfer it with a sewing needle....

13. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

No matter the instrument, a metronome is the probably the single most annoying but effective practice tool ever invented. You don't even need to get a super complex talking one, a simple windup works and will last for ages. (It's also probably more necessary than you may want to admit).

And, to be a wet blanket: turn down, keep earplugs handy and help protect your hearing. If you don't believe me, pay attention to how many guitarists over 40 are having problems with tinnitus, not because they set up stacks in their bedrooms, but simply in the course of regular gigs and practice.

When tuning a Strat, go from the bottom-up, since any change in the bottom strings will change pitch for the higher ones.

Bic lighters, ovens, oven cleaner, airplane paint thinner, clorox and a number of other objects should not be used in an attempt to relic a guitar.

Want a lighter or heavier sound? Try using a different pick; you might find you don't need another guitar, after all. Of course, swapping picks during a gig doesn't look or feel quite as cool as changing guitars.

14. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

MartinPiana: I don't use it, but I'd guess that with silicon, it would be a good idea to cover the neck and head to avoid overspray. Also, check to make sure the strings aren't getting hung up on the tree. Even a dab of chapstick or graphite can help there as well as the nut & bridge. (Those and GHS GraphitAll are what I tend to use anyway).

15. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

When considering purchase of a used guitar, first ask seller what products/chemicals were used to condition, lube, clean, and polish the guitar. The answer just might influence your purchase decision.

When considering purchase of a used guitar, ask about the condition of the case. Are there gaping holes in the case? Do the latches work? Are the metal feet intact – i.e. will the case fall over when you set it on the floor? Does the inside of the case reek of mildew, cheap cologne, or worse? Why are you putting that nice guitar in the stinky case?

Don’t leave home without a towel. I always bring washcloth and at least 2 hand towels to gigs. Spilled beer on the equipment? No problem, here’s a towel.

16. WordMan

WordMan Member

+1 - I wouldn't go near this...

17. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

I know I'm always stepping on mine!

18. bullet69

bullet69 Member

less ebay more mel bay

19. Colt14jr

Colt14jr Member

No. 2 pencil rubbed in the nut slots.
    Fromby's Lemon oil on rosewood or ebony.
    Blue Magic to polish frets and hardware.

20. T. Caster

T. Caster Member

Carry an old t-shirt in your guitar case, and wipe off your strings every time you put the guitar down for more than 5 minutes. This means between sets if you're gigging. Your strings will keep their sound longer, and feel much better to boot.

Don't go near a guitar with silicone or olive oil. Using silicone will make it very difficult to refinish should that need to be done down the line. Use lemon oil or a fine furniture wax on your fingerboard if you feel the need to.

PROTECT YOUR EARS!!!! If you think guitars and amps are expensive, wait until you price a good set of hearing aids ($6,000 to $10,000). Don't think that you need to play rock in stadiums to damage your ears either, I did it playing country in run of the mill clubs. I've lost more than 40% of my hearing in the speech frequencies. Even with the hearing aids, it's difficult to make out what people are saying in less than optimal environments. There are good protectors out there that will provide a very natural frequency response, so things won't sound muffled. They are custom moulded to your ears, have interchangeable filters which will cut the sound that reaches your ears by 9, 15, or 25db. They are available online, but I saved some money by going with a local source. They all use the same filters. Here is a link---not affiliated in any way with this product.
    http://store.yahoo.com/earplugstore/er915and25pr.html

Dan