Your favorite OD for light breakup

nibus

I'm looking for something to add just a slight bit of smooth breakup - very light. I have a Timmy, used a Carb, and the Zen works pretty good for this as well. But what others would you guys recommend? Is the Timmy the king of light breakup? How about a Honeybee and EGDM? I've heard an orange squeezer or clone will add a bit of breakup with its compression, but I've never used one.

john b

+1 on the Barber. I'd go for the Silver LTD. That's what I use it for and it's great, really transparent and goes from clean boost to some nice grind. I think it does the just breaking up thing really well.. Also stacks well with other pedals and $100 on the Barber site.

Franklin

Most ODs can sound good dialed low on the drive, to me anyway. One that excells at it is the King of Tone. Yes orange squeezers and germainuim treble boosters will add some light OD with character, but will color your sound. Which to me is a bad thing!!

mude

Silver Supporting Member
I still like the Tim and the Barber LTD (various versions). The Tim is more transparent to me if that matter to you.

Evan.

Ive owned a timmy, tim, zendrive, LTD, screwdriver, OCD, and a multiple others. The only one I still have is the OCD. It works great for that. I really liked the LTD too though.

iaresee

For a while it was the CaberetLinda SilverKiss MkI for me. Then about a two months ago Greg @ Solid Gold FX sent me one of his new designs to demo: the SS454. It's very quickly taken over all the low gain duties on my board. I'm also really liking stacking the SS454 with the overdrive on my amp. Best mid knob on any drive pedal I've ever used. Greg's readying the design for production now. Hopefully he'll have it on the site soon.

D

Dana

Depends, what guitar and amp are you using, and for what style of music?

These, for me, are important factors.

Oddos

Voodoo-1 is my king. Voodoo Boost and Voodoo Blues aren`t bad either.

Also offcourse the ever popular RC Booster.

Bluewail

Tone curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
So who has compared the Barber Silver LTD with the normal LTDv2?

Here's a link to Barber's site with a clip comparing the Silver & Black versions of the LTD pedal.

http://www.barberelectronics.com/silverLTDvsclassic.mp3

I've had both the Silver & Black LTD's and have a Timmy. Like you I keep trying to best the Timmy but nothing I've found does it in the low-med gain range. The Silver is close but the Timmy eq really separates it from the crowd.

nibus

Here's a link to Barber's site with a clip comparing the Silver & Black versions of the LTD pedal.

http://www.barberelectronics.com/silverLTDvsclassic.mp3

I've had both the Silver & Black LTD's and have a Timmy. Like you I keep trying to best the Timmy but nothing I've found does it in the low-med gain range. The Silver is close but the Timmy eq really separates it from the crowd.

So is this clip: clean --> Silver --> Black??

Trending Topics

Top Bottom