Your favorite *other* tele neck pickup?

Roe

A Strat pickup is my first choice. A Firebird pickup, mini humbucker, or Filtertron works well too.
The only things I've tried that I dislike more than a Tele neck pickup are a P90 and a full size humbucker. Both are just way too hot to balance with the single coil bridge pickup imho.
+ 1

DRS

Seymour Duncan SM1 Mini Humbucker
Like a really fat Strat neck pup. Powerful but clear as a bell.

Reactions: Roe

Roe

Seymour Duncan SM1 Mini Humbucker
Like a really fat Strat neck pup. Powerful but clear as a bell.
yes a good firebird pickups that pairs well with a tele bridge pickup that has has some output (e.g. suhr woodshed)

DRS

yes a good firebird pickups that pairs well with a tele bridge pickup that has has some output (e.g. suhr woodshed)
I agree.
My SM1 pairs well with the SD Jerry Donahue which has a higher output than a stock Tele bridge pup.

paddywhack

Gold Supporting Member
Thus far it’s a Budz Deep Dish P-90. Runner up is a Fuji-Jen mini humbucker my next tele is gonna have a set of Ronin Foilbuckers . High hopes for this one.

M

Member 1963

If they tend to sound dull or muddy to you maybe u just need a non typical tele neck pickup. I use Bootstrap pretzels in the neck slot. VERY low wind, tons of chime and clarity. A5/5.6 DCR/42 AWG. I used to always prefer strats for neck tones. Now they sound second rate to me next to the pretzels in a tele neck slot. Great for rhythm especially. I now use the neck as much as the bridge where as before i used the bridge most of the time. And for $32 shipped how can u go wrong?

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
I like the splattiness of a standard tele neck pup :dunno
I’m not sure I’d call it splatty, but the “standard” pickups in my Teles are pretty rad! I have a DiMarzio Area T in one and a Rio Grande Halfbreed in another.

I also have a Tele with surface mounted Lollar goldfoils.. They definitely have the single coil vibe, but they’re more complex-sounding than a standard single.

___
For those of you who advocate for P90 neck pickups: How do you keep from having an absurd mismatch in output between the neck and bridge?

Dashface

So far I’ve only really had success with putting a Strat pickup in there - I prefer the Bareknuckle 63 slab board set.

Tony Done

I'm a neck pickup user, but the standard tele neck pickup does nothing for me at all. If it was a standard tele size, I would go for something uncovered with adjustable pole pieces. In non-standard it would be P90. I found the Lollar CC really interesting when I tried it in a solidbody Maton, but I wouldn't buy one without trying it again first.

Khromo

Silver Supporting Member
One solution is to try Lindy Fralin's Blues Special pickups. The bridge pickup is great, but the neck pickup might be greater. It is bright and clear with very solid mids and fat bass. It sounds like a fat Strat pickup.

Which brings up the second solution. All you have to do to put a Strat pickup in a stock Tele is route or grind the pickguard hole a little bit. The body should have enough clearance for the slightly larger Strat pickup. There are a lot of spectacular sounding Strat neck pickups available today.

Lepinkäinen

What's the the verdict on Fender CS twisted tele set?

It's supposed to sound straty like, especially on the neck. How would you guys descripe the bridge compared classic tele sound?

I have it on my warmoth/golden age guitars build, and I like it, but haven't got too much experience with teles, only friend's texas specials.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
I don't mind a Tele neck pickup with the cover either removed or slotted to expose the polepieces, but I like the GFS Fatbody pickup a hell of a lot more.

What's the the verdict on Fender CS twisted tele set?

It's supposed to sound straty like, especially on the neck. How would you guys descripe the bridge compared classic tele sound?

I have it on my warmoth/golden age guitars build, and I like it, but haven't got too much experience with teles, only friend's texas specials.
I have the Twisted neck. IMO it isn't actually Stratty, but it's a nice step in the direction. It has less of what I don't like about trad Tele neck pickups, and a bit of what I like in Strats.

+1 on the Muy Grande neck from Rio Grande. This is pretty Stratlike in a very good way.

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
I'm curious as to experiences with the Lollar Regal. I see where Lollar says that the low wind version mates up reasonably well with a slightly hot Tele bridge pickup.

I already have a Tele with a Lollar Firebird neck pickup which mates nicely with a Cavalier Nashville Lion bridge, using 250K pots.

My concern about a low wind Regal in the neck is that it will be too similar to Firebird. Alternatively, the std. wind will likely have too much output - driving me down the rabbit hole of toward routing the bridge for a regal as well.

Can anyone compare either of the Regal necks (low & std. wind) to a Lollar Firebird?

... Thom

Last edited:

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
TV Jones T Armond works really well in my parts Tele

Attachments

• TAN-NENKL_-_WF_-_WEB__33396.1639007357.jpg
    TAN-NENKL_-_WF_-_WEB__33396.1639007357.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 6

Top Bottom