Your favorite power attenuator

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lance Long, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Lance Long

Lance Long Member

I am interested in a buying a power attenutor to tame a Hiwatt DR100 through a Hiwatt 4x12 cabinet with Fane speakers for use in small to medium venues. I obviously would like the attenuator to allow the amp to express itself without significant impact on the tone and character of the Hiwatt sound. Does anyone have a suggestion for the "best fit" for my needs? Thanks in advance.

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Ive heard good things about the Ultimate attenutor...they can get pricey though. The webber's cool too.

3. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The THD HotPlate works GREAT w/ Hiwatts.

4. kaseri

kaseri Member

Dr. Z Airbrake.

5. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

I have a Weber Mass 150 which I have used with my DR103 and I like it.

6. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have a Hiwatt DR103 and a Marshall Super Lead and have been using the16 ohm HotPlate with great results.

7. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member

Ditto on the Ultimate Attenuator. I use it all the time, for gigs, rehearsals and practicing in the basement, with various amps. Preserves the amp's tone really well.

8. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Richter from Squis makers of the Motherload. I have had all the rest and the Richter is the best. ;)

9. gooma

gooma Member

1+ on the Richter control, sounds great to my ears at very high levels of attenuation. It`s opened up my options now as far as NMV amp are concerned.
    Got mine from a fellow TGP`er.

Brad

10. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

My favorite attenuator is the correct amp for the job.

11. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Man, it totally depends on my amp. Lately in my Class A fix I've found the Dr. Z Airbrake to do the best job. Though now I'm using a Weber Mass 100 and I dig it. Very versatile.

12. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

+1 hotplate. Love it... better than the mass...

13. Birdy

Birdy Member

My THD Hotplate rescued me from certain eviction :D

14. Drew3419

Drew3419 Member

Splatt,

What did you like about the Hot Plate over the Ultimate Attenuator?

908SSP,

Where is the best place to get the Richter?

15. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I agree with this completely with two exceptions.

1. There are a couple amps which like the Dr. Z Airbrake better than the THD. It's not a big difference, but it is there.

2. Sometimes when you use a Marshall non master amp, the Marshall PowerBrake comes up trumps. But not normally for any other amps.

16. gooma

gooma Member

17. Drew3419

Drew3419 Member

Thanks for the link, gooma! Is that the only place to buy it (the cheapest)?

908SSP,

Could you please tell me your thoughts on the differences between the Ultimate Attenuator, and the Richter, since you've owned both? Did you think the Richter sounded best at the highest attenuation settings? Did it not kill tone at those high settings? How about through the full range of attenuation? Does it retain all the dinamics and high end of the untouched signal? Did you take a look inside each unit? Which one would you say was built better? Is the Richter completely safe and rugged? No worries? I've read a ton about the UA, while thinking about getting one... but I'm just now starting my research on the Richter. Any information you could give me would me greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Drew

EDIT: Does the Richter come in different ohms, such as 4, 8 and 16? I know about the UA's perceived ohmage limitations. Does the Richter have the same (I plan to run in between my 16ohm JCM 800 2203, and my 16ohm G12-65 loaded 4x12)? Will I be able to run it with my 16ohm amp and cab? Also, I read on that site that it goes from 0 to half power. Does that mean that you have to turn it off or disconnect it to go to full power with your amp to your speakers? Can you use it and still get full signal to the cab for full volume? At whisper volumes (with a cranked amp), does it sound just as good or better than the UA? Also, what features are available with the Richter, if any? Does it need any? I don't have to have the Motherload too, to use the Richter, do I? There's not much information about it out there, even on its own website. Thanks again!

18. e-z

e-z Member

Drew,

According to the Motherload site you do not need to have the Motherload to run the Richter.

19. Drew3419

Drew3419 Member

That's good to know, seeing as how the Motherload is around $850! Thank you. If you have any other answers to my questions posed above, I'd love to hear them.

20. e-z

e-z Member

I have no experience with either product. I have read 908SSP's posts on the Richter in other threads and he speaks very favorably about it. My question would be how low can it go before it loses the magic?