Your favorite really obscure bands?

Lost_Cause

A school of fish
Actually "School of Fish" if we are talking about the same band. Their first album is Grrreat. I am not sure they are that obscure though. They were pretty popular and on MTV in the early mid 90s. Three Strange Days was in pretty heavy rotation (when MTV played music).

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
Lovehammers from Chicago:

Stage from Long Island:

The Year Million from Boston (and TGP!)

Black Lab from Berkley, CA

Joydrop from Toronto

Frou Frou from the UK

Matthew Good Band from Toronto

The Wreckers from Nashville

claudel

Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks

A tongue in cheek mix of folk, country, swing and San Fran psychedelia.

(If by obscure you mean should have been rich but most never heard of.)

Saw them open for The Kinks @ Winterland before it went condo.

"not unknown but didn't get the recognition they deserved," Gentle Giant. Totally unique.

I have a King Biscuit Flower Hour featuring Gentle Giant. Great stuff.

Geography can contribute to obscurity, hardly anyone in the States heard of Band Maid until the last couple months

I dig j-Rock...

The Pillows are great. Not obscure in Japan...

I loved everything about FLCL! and the Pillows are great.

Yah Gentle Giant were just so strange and amazing, live or on record. The mindblowing thing about their live shows was, it made you realize every one of 'em played about five instruments, some of them really well. Really a loss when they threw in the towel.

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member

Pittsburgh's own...Gathering Field. They had a nice run in mid 90s, even a contract with Atlantic records. Bill Deasy is a lyrical treasure to me.

Ed Zachary

80s metal band from Arizona. This debut is excellent, then they ditched the singer and the next album sucked and they disappeared.

Mighty Melvin

If you like Captain Beefheart, King Crimson, and hot babes, look up a CD called Balloon Mood by Anja Garbarek. I don't think it was released in the US, but of course there's videos on Youtube

This is the hot babe part, but the music is not representative. The rest of the record is considerably farther outside.
But you'd want to start with the hot babe part, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: MGT

Mighty Melvin

And of course, the music that I made, I like because a person's probably gonna make music that he likes.
You might like it if you liked 1967-1968 AM radio rock and roll.
But it would be bad manners to self-promote here.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom