Your favorite slide

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nightrain, Feb 14, 2015.

1. nightrain

nightrain Member

I'm thinking of incorporating more slide guitar into my playing, so I'm looking for a good slide. The Jetslide seems like a godsend for slide guitar players, anyone have experience with them? What do you guys prefer to use?

2. Ferret

Ferret Supporting Member

My favourite slide is the one I can find when I need one. I prefer something strong, heavy enough to get a good tone but light enough to move around quickly and tuck out of the way. Ordinary metal and glass slides do nicely. I play lap steel with a very heavy metal slide but that is a different best.

3. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

There are so many variables on slides that you really should check them out yourself.

If I'm adding slide to normal guitar playing, I prefer a Dunlop knuckle side that fits on my pinky without interfering with my playing. I like the glass one, but I go back and forth with the glass, nickel and brass ones.

I own a variety of full-length slides too, in different materials and curvatures.

Nighttrain, what kind of fretboard curvature does your guitar have? Are you thinking about something which covers the whole fretboard width, or just a few strings? Are you using an electric or an acoustic? (Acoustic would benefit from a heavier slide, so it doesn't damp your sustain.)

For three different guitars, three completely different slides might be best. Your question is too general to know what your exact needs are. It's like asking what people prefer to drive, but not giving any clues as to whether you're hauling drywall or need to easily park in tight street parking.

4. nightrain

nightrain Member

Thanks for the suggestions, and I guess I was too general (shows how much I know about slide playing, hehe). I'm probably going to use this most on my strat (9.25'' radius) and maybe my acoustic a bit. The thing is, it's probably going to be something I'll just play with in a couple riffs or solos, and not something I'll use all the time or even all the time in one song. A bit like the way Gibbons uses it I suppose. So ideally I'd like something that would impair my fretting finger(s) as little as possible. Something that covers 3 strings or more should be just fine.

5. GottaPracticeMore

GottaPracticeMore Member

Just get a bunch of different slides and see what works best for you.

6. BeeBaa

BeeBaa Member

I imagine any serious slide player would laugh at this, but I went to the hardware store and had them cut me a few short lengths of copper tubing. Works great for me. Cost almost nothing.