Your favorite small luthier semi hollow you own?

BluesyCat

Staff Reviewer Bass Gear Magazine
Platinum Supporting Member
The only one I have owned is my Collings i35 Deluxe. A custom order direct through Bill Collings. Love this guitar to death and since it brings back personal memories of Bill, I will never sell it.
Someday, I would like to try a Sadowsky LS-15 though.
index.php

lifeson1

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, the I35 i just grabbed us my all time fav , and I’ve had three Gibby’s, and an Agile which blew those away. And then along comes the Collings....

Also mentionable is my Hamer Newport Pro... magnificent guitar

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
The Newport is definitely it’s own animal. Spruce and Mahogany are a lethal combination
I spent a day at Wilcutt once and the Newport, I think ,was the guitar I walked away with thinking about the most. It was very cool yet its own thing, not like other semi hollows at all.

stringgears

I haven't owned a ton of semi's but one I have and love is my Mcinturff Royal....I own two.....a two pickup version and a three pickup version.

rickt

gkinder

rickt

What amp is in that last picture....that is sweet!!

That amp is the 9 Volts Of Glory (9VOG) from Tone Revival. From Destroy All Guitars: "This amp was inspired by Brian May's classic "Deacy amp" which was May's secret weapon in creating his sublime guitar tone. Tone Revival's 9-volt battery powered Deacy amp is a unique combination of the legendary tone of two guitar heroes; Brian May and his hero and source of guitar sound inspiration - Rory Gallagher."

It has two basic tones, distorted and more distorted but they are unique and sound pretty good. You can actually run the amp off a 9-volt battery or an adapter. It may not be for everyone, but, it is a lot of fun to play.

https://www.destroyallguitars.com/models/item/2049-tone-revival-nine-volts-of-glory-amp
https://www.tonerevivalguitars.com

gkinder

That amp is the 9 Volts Of Glory (9VOG) from Tone Revival. From Destroy All Guitars: "This amp was inspired by Brian May's classic "Deacy amp" which was May's secret weapon in creating his sublime guitar tone. Tone Revival's 9-volt battery powered Deacy amp is a unique combination of the legendary tone of two guitar heroes; Brian May and his hero and source of guitar sound inspiration - Rory Gallagher."

It has two basic tones, distorted and more distorted but they are unique and sound pretty good. You can actually run the amp off a 9-volt battery or an adapter. It may not be for everyone, but, it is a lot of fun to play.

https://www.destroyallguitars.com/models/item/2049-tone-revival-nine-volts-of-glory-amp
https://www.tonerevivalguitars.com

Thanks!! Looked up some YouTube videos and that amp sounds great. Looks like it would be prefect for a travel amp if you threw it in a padded bag, or sitting in my office for those times I need a brain break ;) How does it sound at low volume?

Last edited:

rickt

Thanks!! Looked up some YouTube videos and that amp sounds great. Looks like it would be prefect for a travel amp if you threw it in a padded bag, or sitting in my office for those times I need a brain break ;) How does it sound at low volume?

It sounds just like it does at its highest volume, maybe a bit cleaner. It is truly unique in tone and a lot of fun to play. Just put it on the desk and have fun. Sounds great with single coils or hum buckers. As far as travel, it is biggish, but beautifully made. The entire amp is handcrafted. They aren't stamping anything out but forming and finishing the parts by hand. It is a unique blend of art and function.

gkinder

It sounds just like it does at its highest volume, maybe a bit cleaner. It is truly unique in tone and a lot of fun to play. Just put it on the desk and have fun. Sounds great with single coils or hum buckers. As far as travel, it is biggish, but beautifully made. The entire amp is handcrafted. They aren't stamping anything out but forming and finishing the parts by hand. It is a unique blend of art and function.

Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated!! They are absolutely stunning visually and I dig the tone I'm hearing in the video. Think I'll reach out and get one heading this way. Thanks again!!

NeuroLogic

I haven't owned a ton of semi's but one I have and love is my Mcinturff Royal....I own two.....a two pickup version and a three pickup version.
Agreed, I added Terry's MaxiQ Tone control to my three pickup version and it can sound very semi as well as a ton of other tones. Note, these guitars were not designed just sound like a hollowbody. Instead the chamber and port were designed to enhance resonance and overtones which is accomplished very well

Last edited:

Jazzandmore

Trending Topics

Top Bottom