• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Your favorite strat or S style guitar?

Kurt L

i hear those triangular lees are quite rad. nice necks, very stratty
Pros:
Nice tones
Silent circuit kills hum, leaves tone alone
Nice vibrato system
Looks really cool
Hangs a bit more to my left than a Strat, feels more similar to my 24.75” guitars
Neck has that awesome EBMM oil/wax finish
Love the truss rod adjuster
Contoured neck joint

Cons:
Narrow nut width
Fingerboard had very pronounced corners. I had a very talented luthier roll the edges for me. Big improvement!

lowyaw

Cons:
Narrow nut width
Fingerboard had very pronounced corners. I had a very talented luthier roll the edges for me. Big improvement!
haha that's funny my luthier friend who builds nice guitars refuses to roll the edges. he's response is "go play and they'll roll themselves" idk why ))

doesitmatter

This 1989 Strat Plus is the guitar I’ve wanted since, well, 1989. As a Gen Xer, I appreciate the blockier body, Lace Sensors, roller nut and two point trem from that era. Still it took me until 2017 to find the right one.

image.jpg

However, I’m mostly a Les Paul guy so lately when I want an "S" style guitar I reach for the McCarty. It's much more ergonomic and with coil split still gets the snap of a Fender sound.

image.jpg

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
S styles are my favorite. In order of preference mine are:
  1. Silver Sky (just my ideal strat sound and feel)
  2. Ibanez AZ 2402 (my ideal superstrat)
  3. Fender Lincoln Brewster (the boost on it is killer and I always like noiseless pickups)
  4. Fender Elite HSS (great neck, good pickups, pickup combinations make it versatile)
  5. Classic Series 60s (got mine heavily modded but this is definitely a guitar that holds up on its own against AVRI's I no longer own).

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
Dual HB PRS are now s-style guitars? :dunno
That's debatable but I prefer S styles and PRS are pretty much my next favorite after guitars that are S styles. While it's a bit dependent on the model, I do feel like the standards split the difference between a strat, an SG, and a double-cut LP in a way I love. I think it's just far enough from everything else to not be an S style guitar anymore, but I can definitely understand the comparison.

Trending Topics