Your favorite Tom Petty song.

dhdfoster

Silver Supporting Member
I can't pick a favorite song, but I love the album "Long After Dark". I know it was considered a bit of a failure it the time, and I actually bought it from the K-Mart bargain bin in 1986, but I think it's great.

Joe Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
The one with the line: “I know, sure as there are feathers on a chicken”

Next up: Titanic

3rd place: the Iguana Song.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Silver Supporting Member
A songwriter can learn a lot from studying Tom's stuff.

He never over-wrote anything. He never took it too seriously, but he never phoned it in either.

A lot of the songs are very simple, but there's *always* a hook.

I don't think anyone wrote more memorable bridges than TP (and Mike Campbell, probably, especially in the later years when it was mostly just the two of them).

Take a song like "Nightwatchman." It's sort of a throwaway or filler cut to be honest. No one is going to cite it as a favorite TP song. He probably never played it live after they toured that album.

But it's got not one but two killer guitar hooks, and that bridge elevates it into something that's always worth sticking around for.

TP was rock'n'roll through and through.

Fendegibs

There is some convergence in this thread about favorite songs, but I think largely a testament to Tom and how great his songwriting was (and consistent through his career) to see the diversity of choices people are making. It's also inspired me to go on a Tom Petty bender.

dhdfoster

Silver Supporting Member
A songwriter can learn a lot from studying Tom's stuff.

He never over-wrote anything. He never took it too seriously, but he never phoned it in either.

A lot of the songs are very simple, but there's *always* a hook.

I don't think anyone wrote more memorable bridges than TP (and Mike Campbell, probably, especially in the later years when it was mostly just the two of them).

Take a song like "Nightwatchman." It's sort of a throwaway or filler cut to be honest. No one is going to cite it as a favorite TP song. He probably never played it live after they toured that album.

But it's got not one but two killer guitar hooks, and that bridge elevates it into something that's always worth sticking around for.

TP was rock'n'roll through and through.
It also has cool word play.

"You got to think about the pros and cons"

Pros and cons meaning the good and the bad, or meaning professional criminals and convicts/con artists?

jhumber

Room at the Top
Really glad to see this mentioned here, great song.

I won’t back down.
If I had to pick one, I think it’d be this.

There's honestly like a twenty way tie for first.
....but this is the actual truth. Free Falling, American Girl, Even The Losers, You Got Lucky, Learning to Fly, Great Wide Open, Don’t Come Around Here....I grew up on these songs. So glad I got to see him for the first time at Hyde Park a few weeks before he passed away. I was there with my dad, who introduced me to his music as a kid. One of my all time greats.

Laurence

Silver Supporting Member
Can't pick a favorite, but this one was an early eye opener. In S Cal Tom was packaged/matheted in the beginning as a new wave artist on the radio; so wrong. We knew better and this one set it straight as far as I was concerned.

MikeyG

Silver Supporting Member
Favorite - Breakdown, if forced to choose. Sentimental favorite because it was the first single I'd heard
Most original - Don't Come Around here no More - very Beatles'esque
Overplayed - Mary Jane's Last Dance

Dave Yeats

Silver Supporting Member
Two sleeper/deep cuts that everyone should hear:

Something Good Coming

Angel Dream (No. 2)

So simple and pure. Both of these speak to me as being from a mature older guy who has lived a lot. Not just testosterone.

Trending Topics