Your favorite VOIP service provider?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by French Fry, Jan 29, 2015.

1. French Fry

French Fry Member

I've used Vonage in the past, and it was pretty good, no complaints.

Recently Ooma looks interesting, anybody use that one?

Basically just looking for quality phone service with decent international rates at a lower cost than comcast.

2. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Supporting Member

tracking..... I need a voip service for our lake place

3. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

If you're going VoIP may I suggest nomorobo. It not a service but it will cut down on those annying robo calls and scams. I'm setting my dad up this weekend.

http://www.nomorobo.com/

4. Roark

Roark Member

I've been using an OBihai adapter with Callcentric, it's 1.5 cents a min., there is some setup but it's worked ok for about a year, works out for me to about 10 bucks monthly.

The only issue is that you have to keep a balance, they bill as time is used and extrapolate for a call twice as long and if your balance doesn't meet the calculated time, it drops the call. So I throw 20 bucks at them every so often to keep the balance higher.

I Was also considering a Magic Jack, a coworker has had one for two years and reported that it works fine.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  5. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

At least for domestic, I'm very happy with Google Voice and an OBihai adaptor. Zero monthly charges. Buy the box and that's it. I can't speak to it's international capabilities.

6. chichi

chichi Member

FreedomPop. So far works well in So Cal

Pro: Basic service is $0/month
    Con: Most of their phones do not work with cars' Handsfree connections

7. Roark

Roark Member

Good to know, at the time I bought my adapter google was ending xmpp so I found another service, looks like I'll have to revisit.

8. seldomseen

seldomseen Member

My experience with Ooma was less than stellar. We bought the Ooma unit for a little over $100.00 and initially it worked fine. Within 3 months, it quit working. It was still under warranty so I called Ooma and they said they would send me another unit. Eleven days later, it arrived. Mean while, we were without a home phone. We only have inexpensive prepaid cell phones for emergency use. Cell service where I live is not good, consequently we have to be outside in order to use a cell phone. Even visitors to our home with expensive phones have commented on how poor the cell reception is.

The new unit arrives and everything is good again for about a month. The second unit quit working. At that point, I called Ooma and just cancelled the service. Switched to Basic Talk and haven't had a problem since. $11 a month and I can call anywhere in the US. With Ooma, it was always an adventure to make a call. Many times the call got dropped in the middle of the conversation. Compared to the $40 plus a month from AT&T for home phone service, it's a bargain.

Based on my experience, VOIP service is great, however, I would not recommend Ooma.

9. UMT

UMT Member

I've had Ooma for a couple years now without ever a problem. I believe a good cable ISP is needed.

10. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

We just dropped cable tv and lost our phone too.
    Kept 60 meg internet for streaming though.

Was telling my wife about voip and next thing I know she signed us up for Magic Jack.

So far it actually works great.
    With the app my home phonecan ring on my cell too so I never miss an annoying call!

Cost $70 initially which is the device and first year of service. After that its just $35.00 a year.
    Long distance, caller ID, voice mail etc included.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  11. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

When we dropped our land line, I used tin can talk for about 3 years.
    http://tincantalk.com

They were top rated with US PHONE SUPPORT. Worked fine while we had it. Ended dropping that and just using cell phones that we all had anyway!

12. JimmyB

JimmyB Silver Supporting Member

13. mirrorimij

mirrorimij Member

That has been my experience as well. The few times there was a problem it was due to my ATT internet connection, not the Ooma.

I even have have my home security system set up to work with it. When I cancelled my ATT land line they told me it was impossible to set up the security system with an Ooma. The only monthly fee for the Ooma is $3.81 in taxes. I love it, the sound quality is great.

14. French Fry

French Fry Member

Thanks for all the info guys! I appreciate it!

Cutting cable this week!

15. seldomseen

seldomseen Member

It could very well have been AT&T U Verse that was our problem. All I know is Ooma didn't work out for me. U Verse is the only hi speed internet available to us. We could get Time Warner cable I suppose, but with Basic Talk, U Verse works fine, so I don't feel the need to change.

Hope you continue to have good service with Ooma. I really wanted to like them. It just didn't work for us.

16. iaresee

iaresee Member

Calling out, internationally, from the USA with this setup is great. Once you have a GVoice account you can take the box anywhere and it'll work. But you need a US-based number to get a GVoice number. But once gotten; does travel.

Can't beat this setup IMO. They even have 911 dialing if you want it via the ObiHai box.

17. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

Have had Vonage for ~10 years now. Never had a moments problem.

18. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

T-Moblie's @Home is amazing...$10/month...but I don't think they offer it any longer.