Your favourite amp under $200?

pickslide

Silver Supporting Member
Might be looking at getting something small for now, so just wanted some opinons on good, but cheap small amps.

Al Nico

Don't laugh, but those Crate RFX amps that guitar center is clearing out are pretty good, esp if you don't use the cheesy digital effects. You can get the 65 watt one (12", reverb, 3 footswitchable channels) for $199. Clean channel takes pedals well too. Would serve well as a good light backup for your "real" amp.

FloridaSam

Used Silverface Champ
Epiphone Valve Junior

I still have my first ever guitar amp a 1988 Peavey Backstage 50. My dad is using it now as he is retired and started takling guitar lessons. For as cheap as it is, its American made, loud, reverb, effects loop, 2 channels. Still sounds great for what it costs.

guitarist58

A Fender Champ 25SE I got on ebay for $175.

The preamp section is SS, but the power section is 2 6L6s with a 12ax7 driver. Great clean tone! (some say like a "mini" Twin)
Distortion channel sucks IMO, but it takes pedals well :) Decent reverb, too.

champ25sef-49fugr6o7.jpeg

dk123123dk

I picked up a older Peavey Classic 50 VT series, solid state preamp, but tube power section (dual 6l6). The amp has a cool built in phase too. Think Lynyrd Skynyrd tones as they used similar amps. Anyways it sounds pretty damn good.

dk

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
Used amps? My Crate Stealth GT50. Pure 80's metal for 142$! Another Crate I boght is a VC50H head -4 EL84's ,sounds pretty darn good !- 179$. Bob

C

clamdip7714

The Magnatone 460 I recently sold. I did put more than the $200 I spent on it but it was still a $200 amp. :)

bosstone

At the risk of losing all credibility, I had a pedal modified by a pedal maker and when I was there we plugged into a couple of amps. One was a SS Fender Frontman Reverb, the 15 watt version with an 8" speaker and an expanded metal speaker grill. He had it plugged into a 2 X 12" cab and I couldn't believer how good it sounded, both clean and dirty. I got one off Craig's List for $50.00 and love how it sounds through my Marshall 4 X 10" cab. It has dropped the jaw of everyone who has heard it. Well, there, I said it. I have owned lots of vintage and other expensive gear including Marshalls, Fenders, Boogies, Supros, Ampegs etc. I'd be ashamed to show it but not to use it. Plaid through the Marshall cab, it sounds better than most $500.00 amps I have heard.

markom89

There's such thing as a sub-$200 amp?!
you must of forgotten to add another 0 to $2000.
It's ok.

Rapmaster

Peavey Blazer 158...

First amp I ever had, $99 new. It doesn't sound nice, but it's my favorite for sentimental reasons

The only one that really comes to mind under 200 bucks is the Epiphone Valve Junior. Great little all tube amp. A fender Champion 600 aint to shabby as well.

puls

+1 vox pathfinder reverb. I would sometimes just listen to the sound of it, not believing it was a ss amp I got for $139.

jwp

vicilux

Vox Pathfinder w/ reverb and Trem!!! This amp kills at my band rehearsals. It has a line out, headphone jack and 8 ohm spkr. extension jack. Just an 8 inch speaker, but man it sounds great. Also has a boost function for over the top gain if you want it. Hook it up to a 2x12 or something else and you are all good as well!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom