Your favourite neck pickup for a tele is...?

OilsFan

Klein '67 set and I play atmospheric 'dream pop' stuff to alt rock. I would call the '67 set a pretty aggressive rock set. Better for The Clash than for country.

gmann

I like Esquires but if I had to have a neck pickup I like the Seth Lover Wide Range Humbucking Pickup. The orig. not the RI. Or at the very least a RI with the Telenator mod. If I'm gonna use a Tele neck pup might as well get something different fm most everbody else.

bearbike137

While my all-time favorite is the Fralin Blues Special (and I have tried them all), I won't be swapping out the LsL neck pup that came stock in my LsL T-bone. It sounds THAT good.

And I loathe the Twisted Tele neck pup. "Bright, clear and bell-like" should never describe the sound of a good Tele neck pup. YMMV.

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
While my all-time favorite is the Fralin Blues Special (and I have tried them all), I won't be swapping out the LsL neck pup that came stock in my LsL T-bone. It sounds THAT good. And I loathe the Twisted Tele neck pup. "Bright, clear and bell-like" should never describe the sound of a good Tele neck pup. YMMV.
Agreed.

Tidewater Custom Shop

Performance Enhancing Guitarworks
Silver Supporting Member
Traditional tone - Don Mare or Fred Stuart.

However, I gravitate toward non-trad tone in my Teles. P-90, Filter'tron, humbuckers are more my game these days. My latest will sport a rolly-round and smooth Tim Shaw from '82.

mecarpo

Don mare big box archtop tele neck pup. Super dynamic. Gravelly and gritty but still keeps nice highs...and different from most...humbuckery but with the highs and clarity of a single.

mecarpo

Sorry, should have added I play alternative folk rock kinda stuff, post rock atmospheric stuff..lots of cleans too. Mares work for it all in my experience. Fat and full. Also with a great immediacy to the attack. Beautiful clean. Great distorted tones.

pete kanaras

Fralin standard (not the Blues) Tele neck pickup, 2% overwound. in over 25 years and countless auditions with other neck pickups this is the be-all end-all for me. it's full, it's bright, it balances perfectly with the bridge (a Fralin standard, 5% overwound). it doesn't sound overblown like most overwound Tele necks do. nah, it sounds like the most perfect traditional Tele neck tone Ever. unlike any other metal covered Tele necks you never feel the immediate need to inch the amp volume up half a notch when soloing it, or the neccessity of hitting the bright switch to cut through, unless you really want to. as a bonus (as if all of the above weren't enough) there's a hipper than hip compression of sorts when you really dig in that's very addicting, especially thru a clean amp. i play all manner of roots music

Judas68fr

Dimarzio Twang King for me. I play pop/rock/variety music, and love the fatter sound that you get from this guy!

kevmin

For stock style, I like the twisted tele. But I LOVE the Lollar Charlie Christian!!!!

Morgancograve

I've upgraded my stock ones from my CIJ 71ash tele to Fenders Original Vintage pickups and always get compliments. Sounds amazing.

thebard42

Silver Supporting Member
I am currently digging the Fralin Unbucker. Tapped, you have this sweet tele-strat neck sound, full bucker is clear with some balls.

JamMasterJake

Just picked up a Lollar Royal T - and it's exactly what I needed. It's got some Strat - Quack and adds some versatility.

Just my two cents, but can't go wrong with it

Trending Topics