1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favourite Rega turntable

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by Kmaz, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Does a particular Rega Planar stand out to you? Best bang for buck?

2. captwillard

captwillard Member

They are all good. I think the Planar 3 is good enough to satisfy enough most users who will never look for another turntable after getting. I think the Planar 8 is a good enough table arm combination to handle any cartridge that you throw at it (as long as you are willing to install the correct shims under the tonearm).

3. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

I have the Plantar 3 it's a good table however, I think it's a bit noisy at higher volume. I think I might spring for the external motor controller and go with a Moving magnetic cartridge.?

4. dave b-4

dave b-4 Member

I have an RP40, which is the 2013 40th anniversary RP3 (now Planar 3)

it has the external speed box that came with it

l've upgraded the sub platter and have a funk firm acromat and a Dynavector cartridge. Really happy with the sound. I would have to upgrade my amp and speakers considerably to need a better setup. I’m running a pioneer Elite amp and Monitor Audio silver speakers. Rega MM preamp.

It is my main setup and is noticeably better than my ProJect Debut Carbon with Orotofon 2M Blue. Not to say that that isn’t a good rig for the money!

5. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

I love my RP1 and have gotten a good 7-8 years out of it. I would like to upgrade it, at some point.

6. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

I have an RP6 that I use a lot, purchased about five years ago. It is a pleasure to use, reliable, and sounds great. Definitely not the weakest link in my stereo system.

7. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

I'm thinking that the Rega Planar 2 might be a nice choice.