Your favourite strings? Looking for GHS alternative

jamesie

since about a year i play black diamond strings N477L (nickelwound 10 - 46) and like it very much - before i had most of the times eb regular slinky (2221 10 - 46) - strings are really a very personal thing (depends on the instrument too) so test, test, test. . . . .

10strings

Hi guys

I have been using GHS Boomers for a year or so but have been a little disappointed with the coating wearing off them in only one session, and then corrosion. I'm not sure about the tone as I can't remember what my D'Adarrio's were like before them but they seem to last ok. Anyways, what do people think are the best 10-46 strings to suit my 93 Les Paul Standard and my 95 MIJ strat?
Or just what are your favs and why?

Many thanks

Leo
D'adarrio EXL 111 Balanced set for me... Even tension, great feel, long lasting, and clear.

dirtytony

Ive used Ernie Balls 10s for eons as I like both the feel on my fingers and the tone (bright&fat) but as Im not an endorser I found them pricey as after a week the bright top goes away and they become "closed" sounding, a little bit "muted"... some months ago Ive tried a David Gilmour GHS set (the 105 one) and Ive been blown away : lots of harmonics, no tone degradation, very "live" strings without being bright or thin, vastly superior to Daddario or Gibson, compared to EBs they are a bit brighter but still fat and more "sopft" bending and intonation are easier, never had rust problems with my GHS (Im a big sweater BTW)

supergenius365

Supporting Member
D'Addario has never let me down with any of their strings. The tech I go to (who sells many other brands as well as D'addario) says he feels they are the most consistent made strings he sees. YMMV of course.

solitaire

My favorites are GHS Burnished Nickel. I also like Dean Markley Blue Steel. They both sound good, feel good, and last a long time.
I love teh Blue Steels but got a place in my heart for the GHS Sub Zero as well, GHS' take on the cryo string concept.

JeffOlson

mrpinter said:
Another Thomastik-Infeld user here - I use their 10-45 Power Brights on my Hamer T62 (Strat type guitar) and 9-43 Sliders Blues Series on a Warmoth 72 Thinline tele. The Power Brights use a hex core and alloy wrap and are brighter than the Sliders, which use a round core, a nickel (I believe) wrap and a silk inlay in the wound strings to attenuate odd order harmonics for a "smoother" sound. They are both great strings, the PB's are just brighter.

Incidentally, I don't think the brass plating on the plain strings is used to make the strings "darker sounding". I was told it was to resist corrosion longer.
Yeah, you are probably right. However, I do think TI's brass-tinned plain strings sound a tad darker, or mellower, than ordinary plain strings. Frankly, I like that about them. (When I say a "tad," I mean just barely; I don't think anyone would say they are dull-sounding.) Maybe I'm just imagining the tonal difference, but I do like them!

bluemood

I tried a lot of brands and for me GHS Burnished 11's .
I have them on all my guitars Tele,strat single coils,Parker humbucker and slit coils.
Great feel, sustain, tone and good price.

motis1953

I'd try the GHS Burnished Nickel sets. They're completely different than the Boomers. If you want any set of strings to last three times as long, try spraying a little WD-40 on a small rag made from an old t-shirt and wipe the crap and sweat off your strings after every set you play.

Praetorian

There's nothnig more personal than strings I think, so asking for the "best" won't really get you anything other than a list of each individual's personal favorite. What are you looking for in your strings? Brighter sound, warmer sound, more slinkiness and bendability, less slinkiness and bendabiliy, longer life, more body, less body, etc?

Plenty of great strings out there. Personally I don't like coated strings and I like warm, low output pure nickel, round core strings pyramids in particularl, and, depending on guitar I often like low tension, flatwound Thomastik Infelds, but I know that solution is not going to be ideal for everyone and every guitar. So I think it's more productive to think about the characteristics you prefer in strings rather than generically about "the best." Someone might say that steel wound strings are the best and for me those would be absolutely the worst no matter how well maded being way brighter and hotter than anything I'd prefer.
Hmmm:huh good answer. I tune both the Les Paul and strat down to Eb, we play classic rock tracks from 60's to 2010, I like long lasting easily bendable strings that are not too bright! thanks Prae

Praetorian

GHS Boomers are my favorite... do you sweat a lot when you play?
yeah, tend to play like 3-4 hour sessions, then next time I pick up the guitar they are cactus. Do wipe down each time but.... No complaints re tone or bendability, just durability.

cheers

lemmiwinks

I like pyramid classic nickels on my strat and pyramid western swing on my acoustic. I'm going to try some TI flatwounds on my 335