Your First Effects Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Non-Digital Tom, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Mine, believe it or not, was an Ampeg Scrambler. I got it with my first electric guitar when I was 14. This lady was selling a guitar in the classifieds in my hometown. Her son, who was off at college, had played but had lost interest. After buying the guitar (cheap piece of crap) for $35, the woman said, "Here, you might as well take this too" and she handed me the Ampeg Scrambler. I asked her what it was and she said, "It's a Scrambler... I guess it scrambles up the sound." I got home and plugged it in... nothing happened. I figured it was a broken piece of junk, so I gave it away.

I didn't know effects pedals needed a battery to work. :confused: :D :(

What was YOUR first effects pedal?

2. mustangman

mustangman Member

a brand new in box made in japan boss DS-1 which i still have to this day, when i was about 11, i really wanted a distortion pedal and didnt have any money, but i did know this little kid who was about 7 or 8, i guess. well anyway i asked him if he would trade it and he said yes and then i said for what and he said ah just give me some picks and a pack of strings (of course i had those things haha.)

3. rooster

rooster Member

Thomas organ co. crybaby with the TDK inductor. Got it for $15 at the flea market in Abq., NM. Pretty nice. Still have it.

rooster.

4. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

ernie ball vp jr. or line 6 dl-4. i can't remember which, as i got them very soon after each other. i've only bought five since then, and i'm only planning on three or so more in the future (give or take). of course, i'm sure more will come when i try to replace the dl-4 etc, but i try to keep it simple.

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

dunlop original crybaby, which I still use (and love). bought it because my guitar teacher at the time used one, and it was the coolest thing ever.

also, slash was my favorite guitar player at the time, and I wanted to play the solo for civil war properly \m/

6. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I bought my first two together from the Mandolin Brothers catalog in 1980. They were Electro Harmonix Small Stone phaser and LPB2 power booster. Damn, I wish I still had these!

7. 37Hauser

37Hauser Member

My first effect was actually two. I think it was around 1989 and I picked up a script logo MXR Phase 90 and a script logo MXR Distortion +. I bought the pair for $25 at a garage sale!! Now if I can just find that Dumble at a garage sale.

8. ROKY

ROKY Member

Script logo MXR Distortion + ; got it freshman year, H.S.('81)

still have it .

9. fatback

fatback Member

Back in 86' I got an early, small box RAT, followed shortly by an Ibanez, Badcat distortion that my folks picked up for me on a trip to Japan. I still have both today, although the Badcat's input is shot.

10. Unburst

Unburst Member

Not exactly an effect but my first pedal was a brand new TS-808, this was around '80.

I remember being dissapointed 'cos it didn't sound as good as my brother's Boss OD-1...

11. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

boss metal zone. black with orange lettering, i think.

12. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Morley Pick-Wah and a Big Muff.

13. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

My first pedal was searching for some extra OD as well... Bought an original big box Rat in 1983.

14. DaSkip

DaSkip Member

My first pedal was a Electro Harmonix Small Stone Phase Shifter. I bought new in like 75' maybe. I still have it btw! :D

I don't use it anymore though...it is too noisy. :(

15. Layne-o

Layne-o Silver Supporting Member

Don't laugh: My first effects pedal was a Digitech RP6. I was playing through a Fender Princeton Chorus (SS) and an American Texas Special Stratocaster. Since then I've grown into effects and tube amps as I’ve progressed in playing ability and discretionary income. I've gotten to be quite the “tone snob!”

Sincerely,

16. Jim Wagner Pickups

Jim Wagner Pickups Member

One day back when I was about 14, I saw a project in Popular Electronics and built it. a WAH pedal. Actually worked pretty good (but that was a long time ago, before I knew what "good" was.....:p

17. mustangman

mustangman Member

the Mandolin Brothers in staten island, NY right? thats right by me, and when i was a kid i used to hang out there like every day. :dude

18. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

I think it was either a cry baby or boss flanger... 1987 maybe...

19. erksin

erksin Member

Block logo MXR Distortion + ca. 1979...

20. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

a big box RAT distortion pedal, in 3 pieces, no doubt. wish i still had it.