Your First Guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dajax, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Blue Fin

Blue Fin Member

My first guitar was my Dad's Tele.

2. matrixgdx5

matrixgdx5 Member

+1... I leave it in random locations around the house to just pick up and play unplugged when I'm doing something mindless

3. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

I bought a Synsonics (Yes, like the drums) black Strat copy with a speaker/amp built into the guitar at Service Merchandise. I had it a while and had no idea how to even begin to learn to play and returned it to the store. It would go into feedback if you turned the volume up too loud. Later I borrowed a friends white Vista Strat copy with a cheap-o Floyd Rose on it and played it through his Gorilla bass amp until it died. Jealous?

A baseball bat neck and a hard to tune Floyd Rose setup is definitely what you want as a beginner. Oh and I played it with 10-52 gauge strings. I had no clue.

4. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

1st guitar: Some Japanese pawn-shop find from the 1970s. My parents bought it for me in early 1983 because I just wouldn't shut up about wanting a guitar. I was 14 at the time. I think they paid $20 for it. It was unplayable. I can't even remember what it looks like. I didn't have it very long.

1st playable guitar: Christmas of 1983 my parents gave me a Hondo II Les Paul copy with a bolt-on neck. I loved it because I thought it looked just like Jimmy Page's!

1st real guitar: Christmas of 1984 my parents gave me a Japanese-made Squier Stratocaster. By February I had already scalloped the fretboard, routed it out for a humbucker in the lead and a drop-in Floyd Rose. That was an awesome guitar. Wish I still had it.

Today's entry level guitars are so much better then what I had to start out on. It is a miracle that I stuck with it!

5. devinb

devinb Member

Squier Stratocaster, I've thought about it a few times, and I've never been able to figure out what happened to it...I know I had it as a junior in college (I can remember the people in the apartment below me knocking on the ceiling with a broom while I was playing really late at night trying not to forget something I had just come up with)...but by the next year it was gone, and honestly, I have no idea where to. I know it didn't get traded, and I suspect it wasn't sold...

6. lchyi

lchyi Member

Acoustic: Olympia Dread, horrible laminate guitar, taught me the basics though :D
    Electric: Epiphone Les Paul Classic... great guitar, even better after setup. Still have it around.

7. Lava Lamp

Lava Lamp Member

First acoustic: St. George Classique (1964)
    First electric: Kay solidbody (1965)

8. Anthony M

Anthony M Silver Supporting Member

Lotus Les Paul Copy - Wine red.

9. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

A HORRIBLE Hondo II les paul looking thing with a bolt on neck, horrible pickups and a plywood... yes plywood... body. I paid like 50 bucks for it in 1978 or so. It's gone now THANK GOD!

10. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

c. 1988 Gibson Les Paul Studio purchased in November '88 with this absolutely horrible vibrato piece called "the Bowen Handle." Still, even though this vibrato is completely worthless, the guitar is pretty darn nice.

11. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

Kay...it was a 3 pickup "value leader" model..$89.00. I laugh when I see them advertised on E-Bay as "jimmy reed" models, and people want a lot for them...The thing was a dog and always will be, but it got me thru about 3 years of playing..

People think the old bluesmen played those cheap guitars for the tone...they played em cause thats all they could afford!!
    ;)

12. sleis

sleis Member

First guitar at age 6 was a yamaha nylon string to learn chords on. My sneaky teacher had me learning barre chords before cowboy chords. Soon after that I got my first electric which was a Peavey (Patriot maybe?) and then with my first job came the torrent of gear that continues to this day.

13. itgoesto11uc

itgoesto11uc Member

Not counting my cardboard Roy Rogers guitar, a $10 Silvertone acoustic in 1963 followed by a $29 Silvertone electric in 1964. After that, a late 50's used blonde maple neck Fender Esquire purchased from the music store on the 6th floor of Lazarus Dept. Store in Columbus, Ohio in 1965. My parents traded the Esquire a short time later for a new black-face Fender Super reverb for me and I got my brother-in-law's 60 Fender Tele to go with it. The Tele was stolen from a church where I was playing in the late 70's.

14. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

1963 Epiphone Granada which my parents bought new for my graduation. I still have it, although this isn the one):

[​IMG]

15. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

Growing up, in high school I was a drummer in the school band. In the late sixties when I was stationed in Germany I wanked on a friend's no-name acoustic. But my first guitar was a Japanese Epiphone acoustic bought new in 1975 when I was 26. It was a horrible guitar with a bolt-on neck and action that sliced my fingers, but I persevered. I didn't know what tone was at the time...funny now. The tone thing, I mean. Who knew? The stuff I wish I kept since then....

16. Ah Xoc Kin

Ah Xoc Kin Member

17. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

fender standard strat 1997

18. Ghostman574

Ghostman574 Member

No-name nylon string guitar (1980)
    My first electric was a Seville Les Paul Knock-off (1983)

19. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Cort strat copy. Black w/maple. I tought I WAS ERIC!

20. XSSIVE

XSSIVE D'Avanzo Guitars Silver Supporting Member

1979 Guild S60-D. still have it in a case under my bed. it needs frets BAD and one of these days i'll get around to doing them.

-Mike