Your First Halfway Decent Rig.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MustardCap, Jun 13, 2019.

1. MustardCap

MustardCap Member

Ya, my Dad had an old Fender Champ tube amp in yellow tweed or something- only a 10" speaker I believe. Gnarly looking amp but sounded pretty damn good. With my Teen Knowledge and my Dads permission I took it to Woodshop and tried to make a new amp cab- what a disaster- ended up at the dump but Dad never complained? Bless you Dad.

Mngwa, Blackmore's Hat, Redub and 2 others like this.
  2. pbmw

pbmw Member

I got a Teisco with an amp in 1964 or 65. I was getting pretty good playing a Montgomery Wards Airline acoustic. Played pretty well, actually. My dad bought this Teisco and a head with 6V6's. Probably 20ish watts. with a reverb tank and a 210 cab, from a furniture store in Spokane Wa. Big time...
    In 66 I bought a 66 Strat and a JTM45 with a 212 Bandmaster cab. That took some doing for a farm kid in Eastern Washington. The next year I got my #1, 67 Tele. Stupidly sold the JTM45 but I have a couple clones that nail the tone. Still have the Tele. But, I wish I still had the amp from the furniture store...

VooDooClown, Mngwa and A-Bone like this.
  3. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

An Ibanez Roadstar into a Roland JC-77 amp.

I used the amp's built in distortion and it didn't seem too bad in 1985.

My next rig (using an A/B box) had the JC as my clean channel and a JCM800 half stack for my dirt. ;-)

That amp set up weighed a lot more than me at the time.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    shane8, Mngwa and A-Bone like this.
  4. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

I plugged a crappy, partly cracked Kramer Focus 3000 into a much better player's Gallien-Krueger 250ML for a high school show. I barely even played guitar and could only strum a few chords poorly. I was the drummer, but we lost our guitar player and needed to do one song as part of the intro to some kind of big pep rally in a gym so we put my friend on my kit - he could barely play drums either. We played like sh*t, but that stereo amp with someone else's very adequate pedal board nailed the Alex Lifeson tone at the time so I thought we were cool regardless. I think our favorable audience response was only due to volume, friends, and a general student love for anything live at the time.
    I'm struggling to remember what song we tried to pull off that night. That really bugs me!

cratz2, screamtone, Mngwa and 2 others like this.
  5. MustardCap

MustardCap Member

Love that story. My HS Youth to a T.

Mngwa and Redub like this.
  6. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

The guy who owned the GK 250ML was a really good player several years older than us. I recall him having a board full of Boss pedals and a real '52 tele modded with a Floyd. At that time in the 80s, I guess he didn't care about modding a vintage guitar like that.

7. scott58

scott58 Member

In the 80's nothing was vintage. It was old crap.

Badtone, cratz2, A-Bone and 6 others like this.
  8. Blackmore's Hat

Blackmore's Hat Member

AKA, sh!t you could afford that you hoped held up to practice/gig with. Hello Kustom PA!

Mngwa and scott58 like this.
  9. wetordry

wetordry Member

First guitar, a new musicmaster around 1975.
    About a year later I bought a used dual showman reverb and 4x12 straight sound city cab for 150.
    Gibson non Reverse 111 shortly afterward.

ShredSquatch and A-Bone like this.
  10. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

In '72 I bought a new Guild S-100, plugged that into a '68 Fender TR with EV-SRO speakers,, still have the Guild.

rwmct, A-Bone and Mngwa like this.
  11. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

In 1980 I had a 76 strat, a 68 goldtop LP and a 77 50w Marshall going through a 1968 red 8x10 Marshall cab. The strat was soon sold to cover the price of the LP. I eventually sold the 8x10 in favour of a 2x12 which lasted through high school. That combo was incredible. I was covering Beck and Santana tones with ease. Wish I still had them.

teledude55, A-Bone, 80tiger and 3 others like this.
  12. VooDooClown

VooDooClown Silver Supporting Member

First really decent rig I had was a 78 Fender Concert amp, ProCo Rat, and a 82 Fender MiJ Tele.

ShredSquatch, A-Bone, Mngwa and 2 others like this.
  13. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

Trut. The whole 'vintage' thing didnt get rolling till the 90s. A high school friend of mine bought a 1974 barracuda for $2900cdn in 1989. His dad bought him used les pauls for a couple of hundred bucks. Everyone was after Ibanez and ESP.

A-Bone and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  14. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

First rig was a Matsumoku Strat copy into an Ibanez Graphic EQ set for stun, into an old 50s Harmony H303a.

First I gigged with, 73 LP into a Peavey Backstage+.

15. Roark

Roark Member

A used '78 "The Paul" from a friend and a new Musicman RD112, I was 18 and my dad helped me buy the amp. The two combined ran about $500 back then, thanks Dad.

16. Dickey

Dickey Member

1967 SG & Blackface Bassman.

17. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

1998; Hamer Sunburst Flat Top and a Marshall Valvestate head with Crate Blue Voodoo cabinet. Wish I still had that rig. It was tried and true for many years.

teledude55, ShredSquatch and A-Bone like this.
  18. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Mid 70s (new then) Aria Custom Les Paul Black Beauty (lawsuit?). Traded it to a good friend many years ago. Acquired it back a couple years ago before he died. Forgot what a nice guitar it was. Play the guitar all the time now.
    Amp was a massive mid-70s Gallien Krueger - a 200 watt head of screaming solid state into a way oversized tall-deep 4x12 cab. It was the biggest amp in the store so had to have it. It was the 70s - big amps were the law.

ShredSquatch, A-Bone and Mngwa like this.
  19. sandcastle

sandcastle Member

For decades my rig has been my Les Paul, a delay pedal, and whatever amp I'm using at the time. I've cycled through Fender, Mesa, Marshall, Blackstar, now I'm back to Fender (Supersonic 22). That's about it.

It's only recently I've been getting into more complicated setups with pedals and what not.

teledude55, A-Bone and shane8 like this.
  20. Mngwa

Mngwa Member

Mid 70s:
    Gibson SG (pawn shop)
    New Silverface Princeton Reverb

Lucked out on the amp, as my parents bought it, and none of us knew very much.
    I found the SG a little later.

Still have both.