Your First Halfway Decent Rig.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MustardCap, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Timcito

Timcito Member

Having started out as an acoustic player, apart from a brief fling with a Yamaha electric and a dreadful amp at 17, I've come at the electric rig thing backwards. I got interested in playing electrics via acoustic electrics and ended up buying a good used solid Godin LGXT in 2014. I put it through a Fishman Soloamp for its piezo and synth properties, and a Laney Cub 12R for the electric stuff. I hooked the guitar to a Roland GR-20 synthesizer, and that was it. Wish I'd kept that Godin!

VooDooClown, A-Bone and ShredSquatch like this.
  2. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

‘85 Les Paul Studio
    Peavey Bandit 65
    A TS808 and a DM3

Here’s the guitar and me looking a little...weird:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  3. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Do you still have it? I still own my '82, and it is one chewed up looking rock machine at this point.

Mngwa and sausagefingers like this.
  4. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

To be honest, it's been in my closet for 15 years and I just figured it out last year. I'm really happy, but sad too in a way.

5. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

Yep, sure do still have it!

Here it is in more recent times (2009 seems recent). I had the Kahler removed and put on black bridge and tailpiece. @A-Bone do you have pics of your 82? Dots, not blocks, right?
    [​IMG]

PdL, Mngwa, VooDooClown and 4 others like this.
  6. dave s

dave s Member

Wow, this is going back a long way. How about a Kalamazoo SG into a Kustom combo? The guitar was robin egg blue, had a (sort of) fender style headstock, an SG body and 2 single coil pickups. What a mutant guitar! The Kustom combo was a 212, weight a ton but had wheels. Sweet!

A-Bone likes this.
  7. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I had the same exact guitar! Found out when I went to change pickups. Thanks again EVH and Guitar Center :waiting Yeah, thanks for NOTHIN! :waiting :waiting

VooDooClown and PLX like this.
  8. mikebat

mikebat Member

Used Gibson L6-S with a brand new Marshall JCM800, single channel vertical input. I had either a EHX Screaming Tree or a Boss SD-1 pushing it.

Still have the guitar and amp! Amp has been modified by Ted Stevenson of PWE. Love that amp!

A-Bone likes this.
  9. Baba

Baba Member

Kind of a strange road for me.

My first "decent" guitar was a Kramer Focus 2000, and at the time, my band consisted of me and another guitar player, who would switch back and forth on bass/guitar.

He already had a setup, (Peavey Bandit and Ibanez/BOSS pedals), and we wanted to both use just 1 setup, so there was no need for me to buy one. Also, not having consistent money as a teen meant I had to borrow amps for a while, so, it was also a Randall RG80 I was borrowing for a bit in another band.

Then, after high school, when I got into my own band, playing strictly guitar, I started on the rack craze, so, it was an ADA MP-1 into an ART FX unit, into a Peavey CS-400 power amp, into a Marshall 4x12. That was all mine, so, I consider that MY first decent rig.

Funny side note: by the time I turned 22, I had also played in no less than 3 separate bands, playing bass guitar, and gigging with all of them. I never owned a bass or an amp, I had to borrow all that stuff too :D

A-Bone likes this.
  10. DFB1

DFB1 Member

'79 Les Paul Custom,Marshall DSL 40,Boss chorus,Boss eq.

A-Bone and VooDooClown like this.
  11. JPB2

JPB2 Member

1984 Fender Stratocaster MIJ (bought new in person from Drome Sound in Albany visiting relatives in NY for Thanksgiving) into Laney Linebacker 1X12; eventually into Boss ME5, ADA MP-1, EV7300 poweramp, Laney 4X12 with 70w Celestions...glorious

A-Bone likes this.
  12. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

I had a Les Paul copy and a harmony amp to start with. My first real amp and guitar were pretty nice! 78 Les Paul Deluxe and a BF SR. I was really wanting the new Silverface twin (bigger and louder and I thought that was best) but was a bit short on cash. The shop owner kept steering me to the Super and said it was a much better amp. I did not want to believe him but it was the best option:). I would use that rig today in a heart beat!

Mngwa and A-Bone like this.
  13. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

True. I remember constantly seeing used Marshall heads and 412 cabs for $400 a piece, Fender silverface Bandmasters for $250, SF Champs were $200, Roland Space Echo units were $150.

shane8 and A-Bone like this.
  14. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

Alpine White, Ebony board, Dot neck,, sweet.

A-Bone and sausagefingers like this.
  15. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

Kramer Striker 600ST.
    A Rat and Crybaby into a rack mount Ibanez DM 1100 delay.
    Stereo out into a Gibson Explorer amp and a Holmes SS practice amp.
    Actually sounded pretty good.
    This was around 1985, when I was in my first band.

A-Bone likes this.
  16. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I started later than many here, and by that time I subscribed to the "go big or go home" mentality.

My very first rig was a PRS McCarty and a Fender Deluxe Reverb amp, along with a Fulltone Fulldrive 2. All brand spankin' new of course. :)

Fortunately, it 'took'.

cratz2, A-Bone and Mngwa like this.
  17. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Fender H/S/S Strat, new Peavey Special and a Boss SD1 in 1983.

Traded for different used solid state Peavey then for a used Classic VT with a solid state pre and a tube power section.

I thought I was pretty hot stuff when I got the VT.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    A-Bone likes this.
  18. lhallam

lhallam Member

Started on a '64 SG special through a Kustom 100 Combo Amp 2x10. No fuzz, od, etc. Vox wha, still have it. Kustom is gone, so I could afford a Mesa Mach IIB which is gone so I could afford an Bogner Shiva which is gone so I could afford a Two-Rock Onyx which I love.

SG is heavily modified, still have it but too afraid to use it much.

A-Bone likes this.
  19. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

My second rig was more than half way decent, and I could have saved a lot of money sticking with that: A late 80s 57 AVRI strat and a Peavey C50 410.

cratz2 and A-Bone like this.
  20. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

This is a shot of that rig right after I bought the Bandit. The Bandit was my first proper guitar amp. Everything before was some form of converted cheap radio .

A little while later that SG got a Kahler trem and I was locked and loaded for greatness!! Seriously, my band dominated the high school party circuit, which, since we were all HS sophmores, underaged and couldn't go to clubs was a big big deal.

[​IMG]

Kahler for the SG to cover VH.

[​IMG]

Kevy_Metal, cratz2 and A-Bone like this.