Your first pedal, and maybe a little story about it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rog951, Dec 5, 2016.

1. mdog114

mdog114 Member

Can’t remember if it was a Ross Phaser or a Distortion +.

They added flavor.

rog951 likes this.
  2. blackbird

blackbird Member

BOSS Metal zone 15 years ago. Must have played 10.000 hours of metal riffs and solos through it the first 5 years, while i was a kid. Then i wasn't into death/thrash/black metal playing anymore . Never touched it since until I sold it last year. Amazingly heavy sound! Loved it. Great pedal!

rog951 and Brad2 like this.
  3. Brad2

Brad2 Member

The first pedal I used was not mine, it was from the rythm guitar player of my first band. It was an original Electro Harmonix Big Muff. My first pedal that I bought myself was a Pearl compressor.

rog951 likes this.
  4. erikzen

erikzen Member

I inherited my first pedals from my best friend in high school, an Ibanez flanger FL-305 and a DOD 680 analog delay. During our college days we started a band that lasted for about 10 years and they were still the only pedals I ever used in that band. I used them very subtly as always on pedals to give my rhythm playing a little depth and movement.

I actually still have them somewhere and was recently wondering if I should dig them out. I doubt they still work correctly. I haven’t used them since the early 90s. I wonder if they can even be repaired at this point.

rog951 likes this.
  5. Don Rusk

Don Rusk BearFoot FX Owner

Morley Power Wah Fuzz - Parents said I could get one pedal for my birthday ('74) - Wah/Fuzz/Volume in one pedal ?!?!? yes. and I was a big Rush fan and saw a Guitar Player article and loved the huge chrome Morley delays etc he used ...

rog951 likes this.
  6. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Supporting Member

I inherited my dad’s Morley power wah back when i started playing. Abysmal fuzz tones and the wah sweep was backwards... never did figure that out

rog951 likes this.
  7. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

My friend Dave played through a Peavey Hotfoot Distortion and a Companded Chorus. I asked my Mom to get me those two pedals for my birthday. INSTEAD, she got me a DOD Supra Distortion and the two-knob chorus (FX-60). That started me off on my love affair with the DOD FX line.

rog951 likes this.
  8. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Supporting Member

My best buddy in high school’s first pedal was a digitech rp6 or something and he played a Yamaha Pacifica through a frontman. Sounded like absolute trash. My diabetic cat peed all over it and it stopped working. I always maintained that the cat did him a favor.

Bob Pollock and rog951 like this.
  9. rog951

rog951 Member

Those Pearl pedals sounded great, but they always broke on me. I still have a flanger but the footswitch isn't reliable anymore. :(

10. rog951

rog951 Member

If you decide to dig it out and feel like getting rid of it, let me know! :aok

11. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I bought my first pedals when I was a kid at an old (now gone) Tucson landmark called The Chicago Music Store. It was a huge store filled with loads of character, and loads of characters. They had tons of vintage gear everywhere (literally tons). They had a bunch of Boss pedals behind the counter, so I bought a HM-2 and whatever the Boss Flanger model was at that time. Usually it was Joe (who was awesome - RIP) who helped me. That place became like a 2nd home to me and my friends.

rog951 likes this.
  12. Dr.Twang!

Dr.Twang! Supporting Member

There was a guy in my ceramics class in HS (admittedly, one of the more challenging academic pursuits in good old Lodi, CA ) that played in a local band, and had an original “vintage” Maestro FZ-1 he was looking to sell. (well, it wasn’t really vintage yet...) For the low, low, sum of $10 it came complete with a fresh battery and the amazing guarantee “It makes every NOTE sound like a CHORD!”
    Well, since I knew only 4 chords at the time-this sounded like a a great deal-and maybe just the trick to make my Japanese strat copy through Univox bass amp sound just like Ronnie Montrose.
    Falling short of that goal, I then purchased a new Univox Super Fuzz, also to no avail.
    Thus began the quest that continues to this day......

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Tortex Cortex and rog951 like this.
  13. smellytele

smellytele Supporting Member

Fun thread!! I have owned a lot of pedals over the many years that I've been playing, most I don't have anymore. But I still have my very first pedal that I bought in the summer of 1988. I cashed my pay check from McDonalds and immediately drove to my favorite music store and bought it. Can't remember why I so desperately wanted a wah. It still works (I just tried it to make sure), but I haven't used it in a decades. These types of threads remind me how old I am LOL!

rog951 likes this.
  14. erikzen

erikzen Member

At this point it’s part of the permanent collection. This thread has inspired me to dig it out and see if it works. I have a vague recollection that it wasn’t functioning properly last time I used it.

rog951 likes this.
  15. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

It was the late ’90s and I had been playing guitar for a few months. I was 12-13 years old. Some songs that I was learning had wah wah in them, and I really, really loved those guitar sounds and riffs I was learning, so I had to get one.

I went to the local guitar store to check out the selection, and the Morley Power Wah was cheap and recommended by the store owner. Trouble was, I was so new to guitar that I didn’t really know how to play anything properly, so I needed him to demo the pedal for me. I remember him showing me some riffs and how to use the pedal. I went back home and begged my dad for the money for the pedal. I got it for some reason and went to buy the Morley Power Wah.

I had it for the longest time, over 15 years. Funny thing is, I never really liked it! I always thought the Crybabies my friends had sounded MUCH better. But I held on to it, because all my friends said MY wah sounded great. I never understood why they always liked my wah sound. I always preferred theirs.

It was actually my only pedal for about 6-7 years, I think, until a friend sold me his Ibanez DE7 delay pedal. I think it was pink! It was a piece of crap and I never really used it too much. Not a good pedal. I gave that to a friend a few years ago.

Eventually I gave the wah wah to the same friend as a gift and finally bought a damn Crybaby. Now I play an RMC10.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    rog951 likes this.
  16. Brad2

Brad2 Member

Yes they sounded very good, very warm and natural.

rog951 likes this.
  17. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

JHS (John Hornby Skewes, that is) Fuzz. Big old blue enclosure. Bought from a local Second Hand shop, for about £15, when I was 16. Total piece of crap in retrospect but at first I thought it was great. Was first class at cutting out in the middle of a gig and picking up taxi radios, though. I understand this thing has become a classic, vintage pedal and is highly sought after, which reinforces my opinion that some people have more money than sense and in the case of some of 'em, a pocket of loose change would still make them qualify.

rog951 likes this.