Your friends who don't play guitar

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Loop-Master, Jun 29, 2011.

1. mannish

mannish Member

I don't have any friends except for musicians and they aren't really friends

2. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Most of my friends play something (or have at least dabbled in the past) and/or are major music fans. That's probably the main reason we're all friends.

3. hubberjub

hubberjub Member

Most all of my friends play music too. However, my coworkers have no idea that I work a 40 hour week and also play 2-3 gigs per week. Two weeks ago my band played this big fundraiser and there was a picture of me on the front page of the newspaper the next morning. Their world was officially shaken.

4. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

what are these friends who don't play guitar? do you buy them in a store?
    :roll

5. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

When I started playing 8 years ago (at age 34) friends and family just shook their heads and smiled..."semi is just going through another phase, and its cheaper than a muscle car"

8 years later and they consider it a waste of time...and it is...i dont play enough to progress, not enough time..but I still enjoy it so I do it

6. MVrider

MVrider Member

Most of the "guitar players" I know don't either...

7. kselbee

kselbee Member

Include me in that group! :D

8. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

My high school friends took great glee in cutting the strings off my guitar one day while I was learning to play. They thought that was a great joke. It made me mad so I just tried harder. Now, 30 years later, they pay to come see me in concert. :rotflmao

It was always fun to play with a loud amp and a delay pedal while other friends were tripping on LSD. They loved the pretty colors coming out of the speaker.

9. robare99

robare99 Senior Member

:love:

10. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

:rotflmao

I'm in high school, I play in the school band. One day, I go get something out of my case, and some idiot picks up a hammer and starts beating my guitar, which I had propped up against a chair....He didn't do that much damage, but the finish was hurt in a few spots...

Funny thing is, I saw him beating the fretboard, but the frets were fine....

11. Brooks

Brooks Member

yep. me too.

12. Brooks

Brooks Member

WHAT!?!
    please tell me you beat his ass.

13. fusion58

fusion58 Member

Your friends who don't play guitar

Don't have any of those.

14. MikeSRV69

MikeSRV69 Member

I honestly don't think I have a single friend who is not a musician of some sort and most are long-term giggers. That includes my wife and and my mother, who are both classical players/singers. I don't like mixing with non-muso types too much. I run out of things to talk about. I guess I live in my own little world...

15. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

My friends who don't play guitar either play bass, keys or drums. Seriously, even my friends at the police department generally are musicians as well. Guess I don't have much in common with people who aren't. Really hadn't thought about it until you posted this, but all of my friends are musicians. Even the girl I really like is a singer.

16. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

Nope......I ain't gonna pick a fight with a wrestler.....

17. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

I'm the only music freak that I hang out with on a regular basis. Most of the other music freaks I know aren't just freaks...they are snobs. Anybody but the most obscure underground stuff that goes WAY beyond hipster is not worth listening to.

Most of my buddies play something though. A few drummers in there, a coupla bass players, a keys player, etc. Not many real guitar playing pals.

I feel so alone now. Thanks a lot.

18. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

Sure. No problem...:D

19. chucke99

chucke99 Member

I have people from work, or who I've met through my wife's friends, who find out I'm a guitar player and I get the usual, "oh, that's nice." I guess I'm the same way: Somebody tells me, "I play guitar," and I say that's nice, but I know that lots of people play guitar and most are just jam-at-home types. So the people from work and my wife's friends rightfully think the same thing about me.

But I love it when one or more of them comes out to a gig of mine to check it out and I can show them I really CAN play the guitar, or bass, and sing. They are routinely blown away. Not because I'm great (because I'm not) but because of the low expectations they have in the first place.

20. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

they don't like it when i play dueling banjos