• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Your go-to guitar….and why?

Neptical

20210710_002333-03.jpeg

This beauty right here - my '11 FSR HSS Strat. That maple neck just SNAPs so nice while the humbucker keeps the punch and clairty. I have two PRS Standard 24s over double the price of this and yet this beautiful instrument just sings so well. Second in line is a 96' Lonestar HSS Strat, 21' Deluxe HSS Strat and an HSS Modern Player Telecaster ( which I'm still setting up currently).

Fo0zle

Silver Supporting Member
My Schecter Nick Johnston Traditional has been the first one I pick up lately. I’ve really fallen in love with those stock pickups even though I didn’t think I would. It’s solid as hell and one of the best playing guitars I’ve ever had despite being relatively cheap.

I’ve since sold both of the amps in the picture and my current one is a DRRI. The two are a real match made in heaven.
982A9BBA-6D5D-4954-8768-F5A7D2C98BC2.jpeg

I play my SG Standard a bit less these days but it’s still one I’d never sell. It’s so comfy and sounds amazing. I get a bit annoyed with tuning stability though considering I have the Schecter to compare it to (that thing never moves at ALL).

0A078D0B-8B48-4FCD-8C13-91CB39DE2B0B.jpeg

The-Kid

Pedal Art: Providence Dealer
Vendor
Charvel San-Dimas Pro-Mod FR.

Its just so versatile in the tone department thanks to the Duncan JB and 59 with splitable options for both buckers, the 12-16 compound radius and neck profile feel amazing, the locking nut and floyd stay stable and in tune forever....

They just hit the spot for me.

190129336_3958087550893727_1804478840385378733_n.jpg

JamesLimborg

My go-to guitar use to be the Steinberger GL-series electric guitar until the price of these guitars went much higher.

My first guitar was a classical nylon-string acoustic. For my second guitar I wanted a Gibson Les Paul Custom guitar but ended up with a used Gibson Les Paul Studio; Eventually I sold that and bought my dream guitar... a black/white/gold Gibson Les Paul Custom but it came with plastic tuners instead of the gold plated tuners [I immediately contacted Gibson after I received my guitar - Gibson would not exchange those plastic tuners with the gold plated tuners because at the time, around the late 1980's Gibson said you get what you get, some come with the plastic tuners and some come with the gold plated metal tuners]; Overall I enjoyed owning that guitar but eventually it got too heavy for me [My back was hurting], it would feedback too easily, and the plastic tuners kept slipping making the guitar go out of tune often.

My favorite guitarist was always Eddie Van Halen. I started on drums in 3rd grade/1978 and was learning the drums by listening to Alex Van Halen. In 5th grade/1980 I started playing the guitar and it wasn't until then I started actually listening to the guitarist that was playing along with Alex Van Halen. I was shocked how I never noticed how amazing Eddie Van Halen was when I was learning the drums. I had to start playing guitar to notice the guitar player in Van Halen. I saw Eddie Van Halen play a Steinberger GL2T; I liked how small the Steinberger GL2T was [and lighter in weight], it was unique, sounded great, and it had features no other guitar had so I eventually bought one. My first Steinberger was a black GL2T but many years later I learned the bridge on my Steinberger GL2T was-not the same bridge as on Eddie Van Halen's Steinberger GL2T. Eddie Van Halen had the Type-1 bridge and I had the newer Type-2 bridge. My bridge kept breaking High-E and sometimes B strings when I would use the TRANS-TREM feature because of how the Type-2 bridge was designed where the guitar string goes over a sharp-edge on the saddle it was breaking the string; And I learned the Type-2 bridge does not bend the strings as low as the Type-1 bridge does; I never liked that about my Steinberger not being able to bend the strings down really low like a Floyd Rose tremelo does. I liked that this guitar only weighed 7 pounds, the neck and body are a one-piece solid graphite composite [Ned Steinberger has a video of him standing on the neck of the guitar with the body of the guitar sitting on one chair and the head of the guitar sitting on another chair showing how strong the guitar is due to being a one piece solid graphite guitar mold], it stayed in-tune very well even when using the tremelo a lot, and the EMG-85 pickups would not feedback nearly as much as the pickups on a Gibson Les Paul Custom.

I always wore black clothes when I would perform LIVE and so eventually I sold my black Steinberger GL2T and bought a white Steinberger GL7TA and had it custom made [I told Steinberger in Newburth, New York that I wanted their white GL7TA electric guitar but without the single-coil pickup in the middle of the two dual-coil/humbucker pickups, and instead of having the on/off push-buttons to turn the pickups on/off I wanted them to install two 3-way toggle switches, one for each pickup and I want each toggle switch to work like this [Down position puts the pickups in dual-coil/humbucker mode, middle-position turns the pickups off, up position puts the pickups in single-coil mode]. There was an EMG-89 pickup at the bridge and an EMG-89R at the neck. The guitar came with Active EQ. My guitar was white for many years and I eventually put graphics on the front body cover of the guitar by printing custom graphics with my computer onto Vinyl Inkjet Paper that had a temporary adhesive backing; Over the top of that I put a high gloss UV protective coating so water/sweat wouldn't damage the graphics; I painted Edge-Sealer clear-coat over the edges of the graphics to prevent the edges of the graphics from curling. Then I removed those graphics and sold the guitar. Below is a video of me playing this guitar.

I may buy another guitar again someday and if I do I think I would buy an EVH Wolfgang USA or Special. I would want to install 2-way toggle switches, one for each pickup to switch from dual-coil to single/split-coil; I like having a variety of sounds to play with and one of my favorite sounds is a single-coil at the bridge because it's bright, tight, defined, crisp, feels good when playing.

Last edited:

mikekim

My current go to guitar is a partscaster:
Sbejw8.jpg

its been through numerous changes.. (different necks & pickups), but this combination is what I always seem to gravitate back to.

Fender American maple neck and Alder Body
Lace Sensor Holy Grail Neck, Bare Knuckle Nailbomb in Bridge
RS Super Pots 0.022uf PIO cap
3 way Switch
Custom pickguard (1 Vol - 1 Tone)
Supervee Blaberunner Trem
GHS Boomer 9-42's

I don't know how to describe it, I just seem to prefer playing this one over my others.. it just feels right..

El Rey

Double Platinum Member
Never cherished the thought of a "favorite aka go to" guitar or amp.

Ergo my reason to have more than one very good guitar. Same with amps.

Idiosyncratic preferences seem to run a constant and ever changing cycle that keeps the proverbial "favorite" a moving target for me.

This golden age of gear makes it impossible for me to gave a favorite anything!

guitarrob

Lately it’s been a PRS Vela. Love the light weight body, carve of the neck and sound of the Starla Humbucker. If not that, it would be my Paulownia Suhr HSS Strat - also lightweight and by far the most versatile guitar that I own.

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
My MJT "62" strat has been my go to since I built it a few years ago but lately I've been foregoing the strat in favor of my more recent MJT Jazzmaster build.

51398793843_3cf31b5553_c.jpg

Need to take some nicer pics of this one but I haven't put it down long enough!

Last edited:

s2y

44990495_1066458213533235_3124628371862978560_n_zpsfhbmumpc.jpg

Ibanez AZ2204f. Plays good. Light weight. Why?

puswitch_50.png

This is why. I really this would become THE standard with HSS guitars. Pretty damn versatile. I love the addition of the bridge+neck single coils and neck+middle in series.

Guitar Dave T

S**t, I'm WAAAY to ADHD to stick with one go-to guitar indefinitely, though I sometimes stick with one for a few weeks, maybe a month. Currently it's a 2004 CS336:
20170603_224125.jpg

Though last month, it was this 2002 R8:
20190502_234423.jpg

Then there are a couple Strats, a Tele, 335 and LP Special...

I guess my go-to guitar is probably the one with the most recent string change.

Gizmot

Silver Supporting Member
I have to pick two. For versatility, my Collings I35. Does it all. Wonderful neck pup tone. Crisp but not harsh bridge. Playability unmatched.

For rock of all types, my '63 Epiphone Coronet. A blast to play. Killer P90 tone. You would be surprised how effective and versatile a single pup two knob guitar can be. It really is my can't put down guitar.

My very first electric guitar back in ‘65!

GV Quinn

Suhr Classic Pro with a humbucker in the bridge.

Why: It's grounding and reassuring. You've no excuses at this level of gear, the problem is not the guitar. I've fought too many guitars over the years, I'm happy to know the guitar is totally 100% solid and dialled in. Also wasted time and money and frustration over 'vintage' this and that when I realised it's all about 'better in your head' and not something I actually care about.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom