your go to pedal for ridiculous and out of this world sounds?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by boog204, Feb 2, 2006.

1. boog204

boog204 Member

more and more i'm looking for something that is going to make ridiculous sounds. i was thinking some sort of synthy/ring mod type contraption. essentially, if i could hit a button and start to sound like a robot then i'd be really psyched. anyone got any ideas? i have a whammy pedal which is nice but it's not nearly "weird" enough.

2. thebot

thebot Member

Effector 13 Soda Meiser / No Fi Chaos (which is part of the Soda Meiser). Just ridiculous what it does to your tone. WOuldn't say you'll end up sounding like a robot but you will go WTF IS THAT! :D

3. KustietheKlown

KustietheKlown Member

I have a setting on my Lexicon Vortex where i can use an expression pedal to morph from a sweet panning flanger (heel position) to total, out and out ring mod robot (toe position) and catch every wacky spot in between. then i can hit the A/B footswitch and have the ring mod sound dissipate as if it's underwater bubbles, over the course of about 10 seconds after i hit A/B.

Also, in my Loooper's feedback loop i can unleash a Boss BF-2 ---> circuit bent DOD flanger combo that makes these wacky, deep, evil sounding seagull sounding shards break away from my notes at random (they even occur on their own when i'm not playing). from there I have a Boss AW-3 in the loop that when i engage it, depending on the setting i can replicate crickets or any number of other members of the insect kingdom. Then THAT goes into a Boss DD-6 where i can make it repeat forever or fade, depending on my fancy.

I have a couple of other good ones i go to from time to time using a Line 6 filter pro.

:dude

4. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

Fender Blender!

Jet

5. aquadog

aquadog Member

theres a lovepedal wall of sound in the emporium.

Sean makes some crazy stuff.

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

E-H POG... string bending and vibrato won't sound like an organ- they just sound crazy!

I want to add a Red Witch Moon Phaser, Boss HR-2, Discumbobulator and maybe a Chopper, those should all add some crazy dimensions to the sound (in stereo).

7. playon

playon Supporting Member

Lovetone ? Flanger

8. KustietheKlown

KustietheKlown Member

Also, pretty much any combo of effects into a Frostwave Sonic Alienator.

Ring mod thru a feedbacking delay, played with an eBow makes some nasty noise.

9. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

I use the whammy too...

EHX Flanger Hoax & my trusty old Digitech Echo+ make some beautiful noise

10. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I know this is a pedal topic, but just a suggestion to also experiment with non-standard ways of exciting the string, if you're not already. I get some of my weirdest sounds with fairly ordinary pedals, by attacking the strings in various ways with a small chrome T-bar I picked up from who-knows-where. It's just the right shape and density. Bet there's something in your kitchen drawer right now with lots of potential.

/rick

11. Legend

Legend Member

There are a lot of sounds in the Moog Ring Mod, esspecially if you break out the ol' drum machine and some expression pedals.

12. joseph

joseph Member

Moog low pass filter, with two expression pedals. Functions as a ring mod, but also excellent leslie/vibrato effect.

13. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

ZVex Fuzz Factory and SeekWah
    Boss Distortion-Feedbacker (and maybe even the OC-2, it can get pretty weird if you deliberately play things it won't track)
    EH Micro Synthesizer

14. nek

nek Member

+1 on the OC-2. Mine has been broken, tracked poorly from the day I bought it and I love it.

15. Occam

Occam Member

Moog MuRF or E-H POG

16. eknapier

eknapier Member

Mayer Voodoo Vibe (or any modulation: this one does phase, vibe, vibrato, and trem) into a good delay.

+1 on Moogerfooger Ring Modulator, if you can control it and your bandmates don't kill you ;) It's a wild beast for sure, i've found it much easier to use and control w/ keyboards.

So you have a whammy pedal...have you tried adding a phaser and a delay to it? I agree that it is not too "weird" by itself, kind of a dry effect. But try adding some delay and some modulation to it and you'll go about as far out as you can go...I sometimes use the whammy w/ 2 delays: one set to short slap back, and one longer 1 or 2 second delay. Then somewhere I'll add a little "swoosh" to get the signal going back and forth, some phasse or trem. The whammy blends really well....just experiment, play with it. Hope this helps some...

17. Lammy

Lammy Member

Ring Stinger!! Or a Fuzz Probe...such a fun pedal.

18. drolling

drolling Member

The Moogerfooger ringmod is packed w/fun- the carrier out signal can be played like a theramin w/the frequency knob (or exp. pedal) and running a drum machine thru' the carrier input will break the decay of your guitar's output into weird polyrhythms. These are just two of the many cool things it does besides ring modulation.

The E-bow/Whammy pedal combo's hardly a secret anymore, but still able to provide endless 'WTF' moments for you & your loved ones.

But if you're really into double blind testing, guaranteed to produce completely unpredictable results every time, I can heartily endorse the Effector13 Truly Beautiful Disaster. One side of this pedal's a totally sick fuzz, BUT THE OTHER SIDE's a bizarre feedback loop that will mangle the output of any conventional effect and hand it back to you in an unrecognizable form that can then be further manipulated by the mysterious 'photo-sensitive eye'...

19. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

The weirdest sounds I get are from the weirdest pedal I own, the Pefftronics SB-101 Super Rand-O-Matic. What were these guys thinking?

20. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Do a search for the Zvex Ringtone and find the demo thread... that'll give you CRAZY robot notes and some more toneful stuff if you wish it:)

-TJK