your guitar plecked ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by cbnutt, Aug 5, 2006.

1. cbnutt

cbnutt Member

i sent a tele to joe glaser in nashville, ive herd so much good about this, cant wait for it to come back, have you had yours done ? thanks.

2. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

I hope you are as pleased as I am!

I have had about 6 guitars done in the Berlin Plek workshop and have loved the results on all. They did a Firebird that I got second hand that had SERIOUSLY pitted frets and it came out great. I have also had guitars that played very well already (a Hamer goldtop for example) and Plekking till made a siginficant difference. Which profile (super-low, low, medium, medium-high, high) did you decide on? The nice thing in Berlin is that they have a range of Pleked instruments hanging on the wall with various settings and you can choose the one that suits you best.

Regards
    chris

3. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Only as good as the man behind the machine, but lets face it, if it's done by a pro like Glaser or Gary Brawer, you'll have a guitar that plays better than anything out there. What was Joe's time estimate? Is he busy right now?

4. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

My Suhrs came pleked from the factory, so a comparison of an unpleked Suhr isn't possible. I bought an '05 Gibby R7 a few weeks ago and the frets were fine without a plekjob. Phil Jacoby (PHILTONE in Balto.) pleked a 90's Gibson CS LP Special Doublecut which I purchased used about a year ago and the difference was simply amazing in playability and intonation. My experience: some guitars NEED it, others are okay without it. If you think you need a plek, you probably do, and you will likely not regret haviing it done.

Gary

5. JimiB

JimiB Member

whats it cost?

6. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

Cost? Generally $150-$200.

7. indytruckboy

indytruckboy Member

Thats actually pretty reasonable. I thought it was going to be around 500. Anyone know of anyone in the Philly area that Pleks, and refrets? I just got a Orville LP Custom that is in need of a Plek'ing.

8. cbnutt

cbnutt Member

129.00 at joes, should be done in a few days, i guess the bending systems they do take forever, but the plecking is in and out prety fast.

9. lhallam

lhallam Member

Phil Jacoby pleked my EBMM Steve Morse last week, it needed it after years of constant playing.

Then he polished the frets by hand and did some setup adjustments.

I am very pleased in every respect.

10. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

11. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I have 4 guitars PLEKKED, 2 by Joe Glaser and 2 by the Heritage factory, where the guy in charge of the PLEK machine has now done over 3,000 guitars.

IMHO it's THE way to have your frets dressed.

12. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

http://www.plek.com

In a nutshell, it's a computer-controlled fret dress/set up.

13. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

Just to give another perspective on that, I'd like to pass along some info on the subject, from another forum :

From Les Paul forum thread titled : Got Pleked?
    "Groover has it right, the plek is only a tool.
    After hearing some first hand owner testimony, the main advantage to the user first and foremost is ergonomics. It saves the hands and wrists from repetitive motion damage associated with this type of work. It also allows for their employees to focus on other jobs while the Plek does it's thing. Another benefit is the collection of information, the Plek reads a fretboard and retains the details for reference.
    Whether or not it performs better than a highly skilled fretmeister is still up in the air. While highly interested, Dan is not yet convinced. We have discussed introducing a Plek to the shop and using it for standard fret dressing. We would then offer deluxe fretwork using the Neck-Jig at a higher price."

The 'Dan' mentioned, has the last name Erlewine.

14. Zelmo

Zelmo Member

I happened to talk to him earlier this week. Said he's got about a week to 10-day turnaround right now. Not too bad....

15. sinner

sinner Supporting Member

For LA area members there's Rodney Millar at FretTek near Santa Monica and Westwood Blvd--had all my guitars PLEKed by Rodney--he's A#1!

The cool thing about going in person, is Rodney saw me play, checked out my picking hand and bends, made notes to add to the machine calulations for best personal results.

16. lhallam

lhallam Member

Played my pleked gtr at a jam last night, feels/plays as good as my Anderson which has impeccable fretwork. Articulation, bends, chord work; all like buttah.

17. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I thought Pleking was done while the neck is under string tension, although I don't see how. If so then it's doing something that a human can't do.

18. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Thanks Zelmo.

19. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

I think it's a neat idea but why would you spend that kind of money? A good repairman can do the job for less, by hand, and give you remarkable results. No reason to justify on this.

20. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

That was why I asked if the plek was done while the neck is under string tension. There could possibly be some issues with a neck that only show up under tension, then this could potentially really help.