Your ideas ... British voiced head.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dale, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Dale

Dale Member

All,

Folks were very helpful with this type of thing when I made the description to get the Mesa V's. It helps a great deal. So, I thought I would try it again!

I have been thinking I have a need for a more British voiced head. I have a Mesa V:25, Mesa V (full, BDRI (combo), 5e3 (combo), SwanPro RCS-20 (combo), and a few others. The Mesas are the primary amps for me. However I want some spice in there that has a British voice. The SwanPro does this now, very well (perhaps a bit too smooth at times), but it is a combo and does not have an effects loop. So it has not been getting a lot of love these days. I use an Unleash to get the loop when I use it. I am looking to take less stuff (i.e., no pedalboard, Unleash, etc). A more portable head cab solution is desired. This amp choice will replace it when I find the one that fits. I love the Mesa clean and drive, with the feel of the just breaking working for me here as well. I have a lot of pedals, and a number of them do the MIB very well. I am looking for a non-pedal in front rig with perhaps a delay in the loop type thing. I occasionally run a Wah but not a lot. I am feeling good about my Clean sounds right now. I am a bucker guy. SG's, LP's, HH Strats, HH Teles, HH Jags, Hamer Studio, etc. I have a SSS Strat and SS tele for those sounds but rely much more on the HH guitars.

Priority: Head that is 25w or has a means to dial it back to small venue and home studio levels. It needs to have a decent effects loop.

Things I like ...
    1. I use the V:25 as lot in the studio as a means of silent recording (Cab Clone). I also I often run it to the board when I am playing out (Cab Clone). This ability is not required but nice. I generally record by mic'ing a cab/speaker with Heil PR-30 and various room mics. The Cab Clone is spoiling me a bit.
    2. I am looking for Classic Rock, Dirty Blues, Dirty Clean (Country and Blues). At times I may mess with early 80 Hair Band stuff but not seriously. I want to get there without grabbing an extra pedal. If the amp had a nice reverb that would be even better. Certainly "extra" gain is fine so long as it can be dialed back to meet these needs (I am playing Mesa V's now).
    3. I typically set an amp up having the guitar volume and tone rolled back to 4-6 (generally vintage voiced humbuckers) and use the volume and tone knobs to get me the last bit.
    What I have done already.
    1. I have searched the board, and other boards for the last 9 months. I have listened to all the Youtube videos I can locate. I have played as many of the options as I can find within 2 hours drive of me, and while I have traveled around the country to the extent possible.
    2. I KNOW I need to play it to be know if it makes me happy and that you folks can't tell me this.
    3. What I can't do is find a locale with the things that seem to stand out for options here.
    4. I do not feel there are any bad choices on this list, so I am good with it in that sense. This is a more of a looking for "final input" before buying type thing.
    5. I am a 70/30 lead-ish player. I mix chords, rhythm and lead but in band context have usually been assigned the role of lead player.
    6. Yes, these are very different amps in many ways, including price point.
    7. What I can't tell at this point is how would the Mesa and the choice I make here will mesh. Obviously this has a LOT to do with how I EQ things and how the specific amps are setup at the time. Are there some of these that would not as easily play well with the Mesas?
    Amps I have liked the most and are on the final list (so far) ...
    1. Friedman PT-20/Runt. I tried it and a Runt 50 and like the voice of the PT-20 more. Both were running into a Friedman 1x12 V30 cab. Runt seemed more harsh, but not is a way I found desirable. I have heard the Runt loops are not great. I was not able to test the PT-20 to see how it dials back for studio/small venue levels. The "new" PT-20 has a switchable gain level thing that I think I might like. Would I miss a lot if I picked up a PT-20 used that did not have the switch? The PT-20 seems very smooth voiced. Perhaps for me too smooth. Is it something people have found too smooth? Will the smoothness of it get mushed with the smoothness of the Mesas?
    2. Rockerverb 50 MKIII. I know, this is a much bigger head but it seems to have some flexibility here. The "attenuation" that is built into it seems to get me where I want to go based on the clips/Youtube. It has a nice reverb, and in the Youtube and clips I hear it seems to have a bit of the British voice with a slight fuzz edge. I like that voice a lot. I have not been able to locate one to try. I fear it may be to "fuzzy" or "fizzy" at lower volumes in some clips/Youtubes as I have not found one to test drive I can't really tell. Does it do as well as it appears with the "just breaking" elements and responsiveness to the guitar volume knob control? Anyone with experience know? Does the attenuation really do what it is advertised at doing? Is it too raspy to get where I want to go?
    3. The new DSL 20 Head. Interestingly I have not been able to get my hands on the new one. Everyone seems to be trying to move the old ones around here. The old ones I was not able to get a sound out of at lower levels that I liked. It seemed harsh and fizzy at lower volumes. Can it do what I want here? It is certainly a MUCH cheaper way to go! Does the EL-34 tube element change it for the better compared to the old one? Does it seem to sound as "full" as the PT-20 seems to sound?
    4. OR15. Interestingly this one keeps popping back into the mix as well. Also a pretty inexpensive option in this list. Mostly due to Youtube clips. It is another I have not been able to get my hands on directly. It is may be a bit to raspy. Do you find it can be reasonably smoothed a bit. Can it sound as full as the PT-20 or Rockerverb.
    So anyone care this drop in their 2 cents to $37.50 (the value of Dos Equis's most interesting man's 2 cents worth)?

2. Serenity

Serenity Member

Victory Sheriff 22 & 44 are well worth checking out.

doctor_capleson and Holzar88 like this.
  3. Dale

Dale Member

I will check them out. Thanks.

4. Seth L

Seth L Member

The OR15 does edge of breakup so well it's frightening. That's it's strength as far as I can tell. It gets really loud at those settings as well. If I needed more power I wouldn't hesitate going with the Rockerverb.

I do the same thing you do as far as guitar volume. 4 is clean and 6 starts getting edgy.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    indeedido and Dale like this.
  5. Darkness

Darkness Member

BluGuitar AMP1

Dale likes this.
  6. MAD 69

MAD 69 Member

I love my Marshall DSL 20hr(also have the 1w head and 5w Combo at my weekend house) I get some really nice tones running it into either 112 or 212 Cabs(Orange) I play LP's and a 1993 Ibanez Jem - with a minimal amount of effects(usually only run one OD pedal)

Great price and classic Marshall tones, fits my playing perfectly, can't see how you go wrong with the DSL 20hr

Dale likes this.
  7. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

The Orange options...owning a number of Oranges and currently the Jim Root Terror (brother to the OR15), I'm a bit of a fan.

The JR isn't fuzzy or fizzy. It's actually a darker amp and with a simple OD/boost, very tight and full in the midrange. Fantastic lead amp as it's thick and dynamic and whilst tight boosted, it's also great to play. There is nothing sterile or stiff about this amp.

I liked the JR+4x12 more than my Rockerverb Mk II 50+4x12 because the RV was too dark and needed too much volume to shine. The RV is an excellent loud gigging amp though. The JR really does sound like an angry (albeit slightly smaller) RV with the right settings and boost. One of my absolute favourite small rock amps. We are all different though.

I personally don't find Orange amps to be very flexible. They do their thing so well that it doesn't matter and they are very affordable second hand. They do a great organic, roaring mids thing with 'enough' gain for most people.

Saying that...have you considered a Ceriatone Yeti...? There is a 15w Son of Yeti SOY, 50w and 100w Yeti option here and the brother the Chupacabra (available only in 50/100w sizes). KILLER, affordable, hand made amps though only one channel.

Dale likes this.
  8. Dale

Dale Member

Thanks all! Great food for thought. I am not looking for flexible. I am hunting a one trick pony. The Mark V and V25 are are the flexible options here. Grunt and British voice. The only flexible in this amp I need is loud or not loud.

9. nnajar

nnajar Member

Pwe event horizon 2 50 watt

Oldschool59 and Dale like this.
  10. Dale

Dale Member

I really like this YouTube.

Seth L likes this.
  11. Seth L

Seth L Member

The OR 15 will do that all day long. Maybe better. If you need more power, just run a stereo pedal and plug the left channel into the effects return of another amp. I do it every once in a while, but I really don't need more than 15 watts.

Dale likes this.
  12. Dale

Dale Member

Thanks! I do like the OR15 sound. I might tweak the setting some as that is a little off eq wise for me, but it is close! The OR15 used is inexpensive as well.

Seth L likes this.
  13. Seth L

Seth L Member

I've got a TH30 that I love, but the OR15 has taken over. I like the simplicity. They're really dynamic, so you can clean up with pick pressure. Very much a feel amp.

14. jdel77

jdel77 Member

Do you want the saggier/more compressed vintage JTM45 sound and feel, or the tighter/more forward Plexi style sound and feel?

15. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    The sound the OP is describing is a Marshall sound, and a great all around versatile head with that Very British sound is the Mini Jubilee.

It does old-school and new school sounds and has a terrific clean and semi-clean tone to it as well.
    It has a good loop, and all the bells and whistles needed to play any style.

Want a bit more modern sounding lead tones, just add a foot toy or two. I am playing in two different bands using that amp on the 5 watt setting, and getting glorious tones at ear-friendly levels.

manimal, Jugghaid and Dale like this.
  16. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

Mesa TA-30
    Marshall Mini Jubilee
    (more expensive, but fantastic) Bogner Helios

manimal and Dale like this.
  17. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Ceriatone Son of Yeti, 2525, or 2502 HW.

manimal and Zado like this.
  18. Dale

Dale Member

More plexi as I see it.

C-4 likes this.
  19. Jugghaid

Jugghaid Member

I'll second the Marshall Mini-jube. It does exactly what you are describing and blows the DSL range out of the water IMO. I bought mine over the DSL's, the Orange Rocker 32, and the Marshall Origin and couldn't be happier.

manimal, Dale and C-4 like this.
  20. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

Look really hard at the Landry LS30.

Dale likes this.