Your Inspiration

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by JMMP1, Oct 6, 2016.

1. JMMP1

JMMP1 Member

What made you get into rack gear? Was it the hip thing to do? Was it the possibilities?

I got started back in 2011 thanks to Scott Kahn and his website. My first rack gear was a Quad Preamp, and I was hooked. I was drawn to the idea of the rig being wired up with only a foot controller at the front of the stage (when performing) and presets(!). I have since gotten into the effects side thanks to reading posts by @italo de angelis and @AnalogKid85, as well as others. I am also heavily into the technology of making a rack work well, such as splitters, mixers, balanced and unbalanced, levels, etc.

James likes this.
  2. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

It was about sonic possibilities you couldn't get in other ways (and you still can't today)
    It was a revolution about programmability, presets storage/recall, computers and music
    It was about getting free of old gear with tons of sonic limitations and artifacts (tape echo)
    Just reading "The Digital Delay Handbook" by Craig Anderton and seeing how much you could do with a couple of digital delays or a delay and a pitch shifter... all with access to their feedback loops... THAT was really a revelation about NEW... leaving stone age for good.

3. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I came to rack processors after I was deeply involved with modular synthesis in the early 1970s. I had been using tape echo and some analog BBD stuff, but when rack mount digital stuff started showing up on the scene, I jumped in.

4. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

For me, it was just the hip thing to do, and a lot of the cats around my way were doing it. I used a bunch of FX pedals into amps until the late 80's, then I started building my 12 space rack. I actually used it until around 1996, when I shrunk it down to a 4 space rack, until around 2001-ish.

Some guys were still sticking to simple Marshall setups, boy do I wish I went that way, would have made my gear life so much easier over the years, but I grew up on the Alex Lifeson school of gear, so . . .

AnalogKid85 likes this.
  5. Ryan P.

Ryan P. Member

When I was first starting to learn a little bit about guitar rigs, I was on Steve Vai's site looking at pictures of the various incarnations of his rig over the years, and they all had a rack as the core of the system. Rackmount equipment was new to me, but I was (and still am) a huge Vai fan, so I thought that if he was using all this rack gear, then it must be better than just guitar>pedal>amp. I'd say my interest only accelerated once I started working on my physics degree. I'm not by any means an expert in computer programming, but just learning some of the basics was enough for me to realize how powerful these high-quality digital effects could be, especially with really good algorithms.

6. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

I worked in a music store back in the '90's and bought a Kitty Hawk Quattro preamp and an ART Multiverb and Carver power amp. Before that I had an Ibanez DM-2000 rack delay in my PA rack that I toured with. The guitar stuff was to build a little grab and go guitar rig. I used a couple of Ross Monitors that hooked together to make an easy to carry package that I used for the speakers or as monitors as the gig demanded.

All the Grateful Dead gear was an influence as well. Bob Weir's guitar rigs especially.

7. Dave L

Dave L Member

I must have started with rack gear around 1997-1998, mainly for the sake of the ADA MP1 and other cool 80s metal preamps that were absolutely dirt cheap back then. Soon I had some cheapo FX units in there as well, like the Replifex and the SDE1000, and then the genie was out of the bottle. In the late 90s I also got hooked on Steve Lukather, who´s been my main playing influence ever since, and it just felt natural to look at bigger (and more expensive, sad to say...) rack systems. So, yeah, Luke was my main rack influence to begin with.

8. toasterdude

toasterdude Member

Cool perspective! However know some of those "sonic limitations" are part of the lore of vintage rack gear. lower bit rates, IO with it's own character etc is what I think many dig about the classic stuff.

For a newbie like me, the presets and programmability is the draw. I think newer stuff has taken that leaps ahead in many ways. I could never see myself having a IRU or bigger box that was just for reverb or delay or chorus. Others want the best chorus or delay for their tonal tastes. I prefer having one delay sound in one patch maybe a more vintage digital sound and in the next patch a bucket brigade sound while the next uses a tape type sound. I am sure the vintage digital sound isn't the same as a classic single effect box from the 80s and the tape type sound is not 100% echoplex etc. For me the trade off of tonal exactness for flexibility is, far and away worth it. For others it isn't. All good.

The newer stuff also opens up worlds of syncing to midi clock, lots of series and parallel options because you have amps and FX in the same box etc.

I am hoping this becomes a place to meld the classic with the new stuff. Best of both worlds!

Funky Claude likes this.
  9. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

TGP has a whole dedicated section to modeling gear, like Axe/Kemper/Line6 etc... if that's what you mean by "newer stuff". I'm sure you know that.
    Here people may be more focused on the unique character of any machine, from classic gear made in the '70s/'80s/'90s and what is still made in these days in that flavor.
    MIDI Clock sync and series/parallel routing are aspects that many of those older units cover pretty well and some even better than the "newer stuff".
    Add to that the management of signals from amps/heads/preamps thru LINE spltters/mixers/routers.
    Algorithms discussion... how to make a specific sound... looping... pretty much open to a lot of possibilities and directions... and music styles.

10. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

I got into rack stuff basically just because of the time I grew up and started gigging. Went through the refrigerator rack period, opened an adat/MDM project studio, never got into pedals (for guitar at least, electro-mechanical keyboards was another story), ditched all the rack stuff for modelers and an easier load in/out situation.

Now I'm on the precipice of potentially re-buying some version of my old rack rig (for the third time, no less!) because the new stuff isn't really doing it for me. I kinda can't believe none of the newer sh!t I've bought gives me the same tonal satisfaction and control as a circa 1993 Digitech GSP2101 and Boogie power amp.

The thought of hauling all that stuff again though.... :oops:

mark123 likes this.
  11. mark123

mark123 Member

I got into rack equipment not by who was playing the stuff - but for what it featured. Bought a MidiVerb III when they first came out, for the price at the time there was nothing that could beat if for what it did. If course, right after the MidiVerb, had to buy a Peavey Rockmaster when it first came out to drive it. That's what started it all for me.

But same as previous post...
    Had a rack system, gave it up for something else, built it again only to go a different direction and back to re-buying some of the stuff I used to have along with some of the newer equipment as well. I've been picking up older stuff both to play with and kind of to collect for grins as I find 'em for a decent price. Picked up a Digitech GSP2101 for $125 and a SGX2000 for $75 recently for grins.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    sergiodeblanc likes this.
  12. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

If you wanna sell it.... Oh wait! Don't! I mean... I can't make up my mind! :oops:

13. toasterdude

toasterdude Member

I am active in the modeling section. However in my rack I have two pods, helix, switchblade, mobius, bug sky, h9, adrenalinn, hog 2 and echolution 2.

If there is a large group of guys that want to discuss boxes from decades past only. Why close HRI and open here?

I would rather see openess to all rack gear and racks.

There are no rules that say you can't use a combination of old gear, new gear, pedals and rack units.

To me, most in the modeling forums want an all in one solution. They use an axe or helix and nothing else. Once you want to combine these with lots of pedals, or other rack gear, doing a rack makes more sense.

14. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

It's not like the people who are here from HRI DID close it. There are no connections. The owner (one guy) decided to close it.
    TGP has sections... there are about 150.000 members here, not a small place like HRI, so things can get messy.
    I thought an EFFECTs section would be enough for just about anything effects related, but reality is that some kind of separation helps keeping info in a better way.
    Look at the pedals effects section and the amount of compulsive posts going on there and you'll see how hard is to get the info well together...
    So I guess if one needs to talk about HOW a TimeLine or an Helix can make an effect... the sections are the places to use on TGP.
    As a rig, including any kind of technology, I don't see a problem here... as it would be mostly about managing the system audio routing/switching/mixing.
    Other than that... you'd find much better answers to specific technologies questions in each specific section.

15. JMMP1

JMMP1 Member

Just out of curiosity, why two pods and a helix? Are they two different kinds of pods?

16. uraniumwilly

uraniumwilly Member

First, I bought an echoplex for like, $150 in the 80s - that I actually gave away to a guy who eventually became a "star." It sounded good. Then I bought a Lex PCM 70 after hearing a demo, and just fell in love with what it could do. That and a holy grail Korg 3000 was fun, but I eventually grew tired of the Korg noise and sold it. Still own the 70 and it's hanging in there real nicely.

I have to say, I do love these rack machines, especially mixing tape, bucket brigade and digital delay tones. But I love professional DAW plugins and digital amp modeling and guitar stomp boxes just as much. I don't agree with the opinions stated that digital models and replicated plugins of classic analog gear sound inferior to the degree that they are not worthwhile tools. They very much are, in the culture I live in. All of my friends in music, and that includes professionals, use ALL these different pieces in a way to compliment each other. YMMV.

Funky Claude likes this.
  17. Catch

Catch Analog>Digital Converter

I started with a Mesa Studio Pre and a Simul395 Power Amp in the early 90's. I added a Quadraverb and was set for years. I went the Boogie route because at one point David Gilmour was using a Mark in his touring rig. SRV also dabbled with them and when I saw Smashing Pumpkins at the WUST Music Hall (now the 930 Club) he had the same pres and the 395s.

I have added a pedal board, replaced the Quadraverb with a BigSky and Timeline and have added an AxeFX II for additional sounds. My goal is to be able to use the two pres separately as well as combined. A Lehle switcher and better line mixer are upcoming.

18. toasterdude

toasterdude Member

I think we are agreeing. People wanting info on insidd the box can go to the modeling or pedal forums. There are however guys with an axe or helix with an eventide or lexicon or both in their racks to use with axe fx. There are guys with H9s a d strymons in a pedal drawer.

I am talking about having a modeler being part of a larger rig. I was planning on having to decide which external box goes in which effect loop of pods or axes. On HRI I learned about switchblade and have one in my rack.

I have an RJM MMGT controlling 12 different boxes via midi. I also sync the MMGT to midi clock and have it respond to PC and CC from maschine or a DAW.

Once you have 3-4 or more boxes in a rack, the routing, midi, power, ground loop issues pop up. This forum could be a great place for that info. HRI was but there was a very narrow focus. 90% of the stuff was geared to emulating tone and rigs of three guys. Usually not what they use now, but what they used back in the day. Very cool, but narrowly focused.

I think for a forum to flourish and grow, it can't be that narrowly focused. Asking axe or helix specific questions here may not be the best idea, but asking how to put a big sky, el capistan and h9 in parallel in the loop of said axe fx should not be subject to criticism for using "convenience boxes". For some convenience is very important.

Funky Claude and Ryan P. like this.
  19. Funky Claude

Funky Claude Member

This video with Keith Urban's tech Chris Miller.I never even thought about racking pedals until I saw this video. Obviously it's commonplace but I'd never seen it done before.

I'm fairly sure this rig was built by Xact Tone Solutions in Nashville.
    https://www.xacttone.com/

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  20. Funky Claude

Funky Claude Member

I'm working toward a compact rig like this one Nigel Hendroff had.