Your "Keeper" Overdrive/Boost

micycle

I'm primarily a multi-effects user, but if I was ever forced to go back to pedals I'd immediately go with any of the aforementioned BOSS offerings (the OD3 or BS2 in particular) or the Tech 21 Hot Rod Plexi. Those are the standouts for me personally over the last 30 years. The pedal market is so oversaturated that if I ever needed a standalone pedal I'd go with one of those vs. spiraling into the black hole of all of the options that are out there now. Much like the beer world, enough with the options and reviews already... Just give me something simple that I already know!

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
This question is for guys that have gone through many different overdrives/boost pedals to push your slightly overdrive amp.
If you had to pick just one, what should it be?
Nobels ODR-1 (I’m shocked how much I love this OD from clean boost, light drive, crunch and liquid sustain)
Kingsley Jester
Clinch FX EP-PRE (not an OD but a critical element that should be mentioned)

Last edited:

treeuh

I've had a 2007(ish?) Menatone Red Snapper on my board for the better part of the last decade... I'd say that's a "keeper"... My Skreddy Screwdriver Deluxe has also had a healthy on-and-off residence. The only pedal I kind of regret letting go of was my OCD V2 and/or Crowther Hotcake..

But the Red Snapper always comes back to me. I've gone through heaps of ODs, but I always find them having a "sound" whereas the Red Snapper is just more of what's there with a little extra high-end bite and growl... At this point, it may just be what I most closely associate my OD sound to, so changing feels unnatural.

phractus

Nobels ODR-1 (I’m shocked how much I love this OD from clean boost, light drive, crunch and liquid sustain)
Kingsley Jester
Clinch FX EP-PRE (not an OD but a critical element that should be mentioned)
If you use the odr1 as a clean boost should try to hunt down a nobles pre-1 I think it was called. I always miss that one.

Smacky the Frog

Platinum Supporting Member
Durham Crazy Horse, covers the entire tweed landscape as far as what I need it for. Can get downright nasty and chaotic

lamenlovinit

For boost a BBE Freq Boost. It's a pretty accurate one knob Rangemaster clone. Really good with darker/mid heavy amps. The only reason to upgrade this one is if you want to spend some coin and get something collectible. And I'm not judging that.

For overdrive a VFE Blues King. A real swiss army knife of a pedal. you can choose silicon or germanium (or mixed) tone with one knob. Symmetrical or Asymmetrical clipping with another. Definitely in the moderate overdrive class. Not a "Plexi-in-a-box".

A recent addition that I can't see ever doing away with is the JHS Crayon. It must be used with restraint and taste. But if you are a fan of stuff like John Lennon's hairier tone it's a superb pedal. You don't even need a P90 guitar!

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
Klon Centaur, Zendrive, and an original Sea Blue EQ which isn't actually a boost but can really fatten things up.

Many others have come and gone, and despite my, dare I say it, 'boutique' leanings, the one I've never owned and want to try next is the 'lowly' ;) Boss Blues Driver (BD2). Maybe I'll even go for the pimped out Waza version.

Furilla

Odd Bird
For me, in this category, with a variety of guitars... I love the Hudson UK Broadcast MKII. It definitely ads a hint o’ grime that really appeals to me.

Jim Miller

Platinum Supporting Member
Xotic RC booster and EP booster, Klon KTR, Fulltone OCD Ge, and J Rockett Blue Note. Obviously not all at the same time, but the KTR into the OCD is an almost always on combo for me.

duality

RYRA The Klone

tried other klones side by side with the RYRA and it has a lower body that the JHS soul food and the tone bakery did not
that surprised me as i expected them all to sound the same

maybe someday i will try a ceriatone and/or a ktr next to the RYRA, but i am super happy with the RYRA. But definitely want to compare

TP Parter

Original SansAmp
Keeley Java
Some version of a Systech Harmonic Energizer (currently on my 2nd LWA Outsider).

The Java and SansAmp are used nearly interchangeably into my slightly broken up clean channel or dirty channel, and the Systech is used for the heavies with one of the two prior pedals or my amp's dirty channel.

Trending Topics