Your latest assessment of the Rajin Cajun/Copperhead/Legend/Ramrod/DT-10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by El Jimbo, Sep 10, 2005.

1. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

I have a 210 VR style combo and am thinking of replacing the speakers with either one (ie. two of the same) or two of these models. I like the idea of mixing speakers for some reason, even though I haven't tried it yet. I'm open minded about it.

Which combination or single model will bring the best out of my amp's clean and low (mostly) to medium overdrive? I like rich, smokey yet with a sparkly edge to my cleans, and smooth yet cutting, touch responsive OD (excuse cliches;) ).

Done the search but want to hear people's updated impressions and advice...

...let 'em rip.

2. ppants

ppants Guest

Your describing the ragin cajun.
    The only other 10" eminence has that can be mixed with the cajun and sound balanced is the ram rod.
    It has a bit of a sizzle to it, mixed with the cajin you can get a lot of versatility, but it lends itself to break up with a little more sizzle than just 2 cajuns.

I have some jazz guys using these cajuns that love them, very very very nice cleans and jazz tones, great full body lows and a throaty chunk if they are loud with a little over drive.

Ive taken these apart and disected them ,actualy all of them but the blue tic houd and a lot of these speakers are the same parts with a variable thrown in. A different voice coil, a different dome or cone, The cajin actualy has a black powder magnet on it.

From your description of what your wanting from your amp.
    2 cajins would nail it and make your face light up!

Man, this forum thing is amazing, and addictive, Im a guitar player so I have a ddictive personality anyways, I used to dis on these forums and ask, " why dont you guys just play?"

But lord, the bevy of info in these things is unreal and the excitement of reading someones response to your response.
    wow,

I got to go, it is sunday and a day for the dam fam.
    but, i think i get it now and this is fun!

3. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I agree - you want a Ragin Cajun. I've got one and I sometimes use it with a 10" Alnico Weber California (JBL type) and they sound great together. I also use it with a 12" Scholz (ceramic) or 12" Fane AXA12 (alnico).

Very balanced speaker and it can handle being hammered.

4. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Get the Ragin Cajun. I have tried the Ragin Cajun and Ramrod in my Super Champ. The Ramrod is raunchier and loves the higher gain toones.

5. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

Can anyone compare the Copperheads and Rajin Cajuns?

These are the other types of speakers I've been looking at for my '66 Super. I may consider Webers too...Right now I have Jensen RI P10R's in it. They are OK, but I know I could do alot better.

I play Blues, more on the aggresive side with OD pedals. I mainly use Strats with single coils as well as some other types of guitars/pickups. Thanks!

6. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

Thanks guys (esp PPants - you're right about getting useful info) for the feedback. The RCs were actually my first thought too.

So the main thing to clear up was whether it's a worthy move to mix the RC with another speaker.

I also would like to hear more about the Lord Valve DT-10 as there isn't a lot about how they perform here except that they'd be a good match to a SR style amp...which has me interested as well.

Can someone chime in about the DT-10 for my application.

7. Troy T. Blues

The DT-10s are warm, ballsy sounding at higher volumes, and have a late breakup to get into power tube distortion.

8. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

Sounds nice...possibly a good mix with the RC?

Did I mention I like a nice, tight, firm bottom...

...don't we all.:D :D

9. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I'd have to disagree with this statement. I've got a 2x10 cab that I use a Cajun and a Legend 105 together. That's an awesome combo! Maybe a little cleaner sound than the poster was looking for, but not much. It's the best sounding combination I've ever hear in a 2x10 setup.

10. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

Actually, I play clean most of the time so a great clean tone is what I'm mostly looking for, just so it can sound good in OD as well.

11. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

i have 4 Rajun Cajuns in a '68 SR that i BF'd and it is a monstrous sounding amp...big bold projections, fat tight lows and a very smooth top-end...and, LOUD!...by far, one of the best 10" speakers i have ever played...

12. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

I kinda like the sound descritpions of the Copperheads too...:confused:

May be a CH + RC would be sweet together.

13. Troy T. Blues

Exactly! This is what I need to know too. Can anyone help?
    Copperheads vs. the Rajin Cajuns.

Thanks!

14. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

The Ragin Cajun is perfect for cleans - very balanced across the spectrum - tight, strong lows and smooth high end. As such, it works very well with pedals. Plus, it's rated at 75W so it can take the heat.

15. Cranknfrank

Cranknfrank Member

I just put a pair of Copperheads in my old BF Vibrolux. My initial reaction is that they may be too bright for the amp or at least too bright for my taste in this particular amp. They sound fine, but in conjunction with my Fralin equipped guitars....just too much top end sizzle.. I'm going to play them a little longer and I'll report back.

16. ROKY

ROKY Member

A quad of Ramrods are on my short list .

17. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

In what amp?

(Did I say toones? I meant tones!)

18. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Nice! I have a '99 TH Club Deluxe. Great amps....

19. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've had the RC and CH and also used to use Fralins in my teles...the Fralins just have that top end sizzle and no speaker I ever tried got rid of it...I had to let those pus go...I would definitly go with RCs for the Fralins in a BF amp...

I guess am in the minority as I like the RC but I love the CH...
    the CH has more articulation (upper mids) and is just a clearer but not sterile sounding speaker...people report having fizz with it when pushed...but I don't hear any and am nearly always cranked and use pedals...

when I first tried the RC in my Fargen Dual Classic (paired w/a Cannabis Rex) it was a really nice speaker...then I put the CH in and it sounded like I had removed a blanket from in front of my amp...

the bass end of the CH is not as massive as the RC but still very tight and not overpowering and when played clean or with amp breakup is just a stellar smooth sounding speaker...the RC OTOH has a massive bottom end and sounds ok clean...but not near as sparkly...its real strength IMO is cranked and overdriven where it is just creamy smooth...not a hint of fizz...

If I had a 2 or 4X 10" speaker amp I would first try all CH's and if I found it too bright or sizzly...which I doubt I would go with a mix of RC's and CH's...

Chow,
    Seegs

20. p00n

p00n Member

Hi,

Don't mean to hijack the thread but would like someone's opinion. Everyones been raving about the Rajin Cajun clean, but how does it handle some mid to high gain tones? I have a small Laney LC15R combo that I may give a speaker change. According to my ears, the laney has the Vox-ish vibe to the cleans, so it would be nice to have a nice high end sparkle to the cleans, but I run higher gain (more of brit classic rock tones) with a Tonebone Hot Brit and H&K Tubefactor for chunkier rock tones. The way I eq, i cut the bass slightly and concentrate on clearer high mids and highs without fuzzing up too much. Would the Rajin Cajun do?

Or do I want a Ramrod? How does the clarity Ramrod fare played clean? Would like a brit flavoured tone even when run clean though.

Thanks!