• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Your Main Guitar

telefanboy

Hey guys..

Would you use your Custom Shop guitar as your main instrument in your cover band?.. Your Gibson R7, R8, R9, R0.. or you Fender Custom Shop Tele or Strat... you don’t get paranoid having such an expensive instrument in a bar full of drunk people?.. hahaha!.. anyway, if you do use your expensive guitar for your weekly gigs.. wich one you use.. share a photo.. :cool:

Hey guys..

Would you use your Custom Shop guitar as your main instrument in your cover band?.. Your Gibson R7, R8, R9, R0.. or you Fender Custom Shop Tele or Strat... you don’t get paranoid having such an expensive instrument in a bar full of drunk people?.. hahaha!.. anyway, if you do use your expensive guitar for your weekly gigs.. wich one you use.. share a photo.. :cool:
I don't worry about it at all, yes people drink in a bar but no one is going to jump on stage and drop kick your guitar while you're playing. If you have basic awareness of what's going on around you it's perfectly fine.

There's even less risk for me with my #1 guitar, since it's headless and thus it is way easier to avoid smashing it into any of your other band members' instruments if you're on a particularly small stage ;).

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
My bi-weekly summer gig is outdoors so I use the laminated guitar:

Ca. 1984 Fender D'Aquisto Elite
Sam,

I know you are a professional bassist and your jazz resume is insane. It’s funny you are one of the very few at that level who participate here on TGP under your own name.

How the heck do you play bass and guitar? :eeks Seriously at what age and how many hours a day did you practice to get to that level on upright bass, and have time to mess with guitar as well?:)o_O

Dashface

Playing at my regular cover band gig (we are the house band for the two most popular tourist bars in town - usually play about 50 shows a year there) I will play anything I have. Some of them are terribly expensive custom shop pieces. I really enjoy playing my R4 Custom, pictured here:

I also enjoy playing various expensive custom Teles, such as this custom shop beaut here:

Or my current fav flashy stage guitar, this rather expensive and blingy FSR Gretsch:

...My point is, yes. I’ll play my guitars at bar gigs. That’s what I own them for.

And don’t even get me started about my Floyd act - I bring about $100k of equipment across the continent twice a year with that group... Just be careful-ish and enjoy the things you own.

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys..

I always have Luigi, Vito and my friends at the bar. No one dares even looking at me badly.

telefanboy

Playing at my regular cover band gig (we are the house band for the two most popular tourist bars in town - usually play about 50 shows a year there) I will play anything I have. Some of them are terribly expensive custom shop pieces. I really enjoy playing my R4 Custom, pictured here:

I also enjoy playing various expensive custom Teles, such as this custom shop beaut here:

Or my current fav flashy stage guitar, this rather expensive and blingy FSR Gretsch:

...My point is, yes. I’ll play my guitars at bar gigs. That’s what I own them for.

And don’t even get me started about my Floyd act - I bring about $100k of equipment across the continent twice a year with that group... Just be careful-ish and enjoy the things you own.
Wow those beauties.. thanks for sharing

dancareaga

My two main guitars are custom Suhr classics. I bought them to play them, I couldn't spend that kind of money just to hang it on my wall and pluck the strings every few days.
Nothing wrong with that, it's just not me.

I got this one in January of 2020 and played it on my next gig the following week and a guy jumped up on stage and grabbed me around my neck almost pulling me off the end of the platform.
(He had told me during the previous break that REALLY liked my playing and I was mid solo so I guess he was excited! and exceptionally inebriated!)
LOL
That would have done some serious damage but
Thats the gig! I guess.

The thing I am SUPER careful about is loading In and Out, I bring both my Suhrs a Helix and either my PT-100 or Bogner XTC 20th.
Super easy for any one thing to be walked away with.

Last edited:

Mtt02263

Silver Supporting Member
My main guitar is an R0 and I don't play out, but if I was going to I'd use my '92 Les Paul Studio. It's a great guitar in its own right and it would carry a lot less mental baggage.

BlueHeaven

I only play at church now so we don't run into too many drunk people :D but I'd bring whatever I wanted even if I was playing in clubs. I would just make sure I took breaks near the stage. The guitars in regular rotation are a Tele (not custom shop), a Gretsch Jet G6228 BT, and a MIM Strat so nothing real expensive.

Trending Topics