your most BIZARRE gig

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Vishnu, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

here's mine........a Halloween gig at a local (20 miles away) Hospital,a psychiatric Hospital......

ALL the staff and the patients were dressed in costumes for the dance so it was impossible to tell who was the patient and who were the staff. what a sight to see full grown men in female nurses outfits with great big handlebar moustaches and a few days growth

it was an all male unit.Jeez,the number of guys/staff/patients/someone taking the p*ss/who knows, who waved up at me on the stage that night,and gave me the eye LOL

..and to top things off,the ONLY way we could get the gear in to the 4th floor of the Hopital was an outside spiral staircase

what a GREAT night it was too :)

2. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

Bizarre.. or pathetic.. you judge..

We were the opening act for a karaoke machine once...

3. mrmatt1972

mrmatt1972 Member

I once played bass in a country band and we had a gig at a rural hall. The sea of white headed folks waltzing that night was a sight to behold.

4. Whogo

Whogo Supporting Member

Was playing a solo gig at an art gallery/restaurant opening, and an older gentleman walked up to me, pulled up a chair, and sat about three inches from me, watching what I was doing. Within about a minute, he pulled out a harmonica and started trying to play along with me, so I soon switched to a twelve-bar blues kind of thing, and we jammed a while.

Made a new friend that night (that was just over six years ago), and we still get together nowadays and jam sometimes!

5. PeeCee

PeeCee Member

Nothing bizarre about that at all. I think this is a staple of blues gigs. I think harp players are all stalkers...

...even here in Japan we get these old dudes weaseling their way onstage--with gazillion harmonicas in their harp holsters who seem to think that their harmonica playing is exactly our band needs.

Sometimes they're right. Sometimes not.

Either way, it's all good!

6. snacker

snacker Member

I played at a horse racing track once and we had to play in between races and in between announcements which meant play for 4.5 minutes, 12 minutes break - play for 8 minutes, 2 minute break - the whole time we had to keep our eyes on the timer - weird, but fun and decent paying

7. Peppy

Peppy Member

Wednesday night starts my 21st year working in a Level I psychiatric hospital as front-line staff on the night shift. NOT where I wanna gig.

Moving on...two stand out. However, the premise here is for one gig. So......

It was playing for 5000 Taiwanese troops in an underground cave (to protect from the every other day shelling from China) on a Taiwanese-held island (a mile or so from China) when I was 15.
    Stoic audience. However, just before going on a three-star Taiwanese Army general found out that my dad was a general also, so he kept toasting my fellow 15 year-old bandmates and I with strong Kaoliang. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaoliang
    We hit the stage flying and the soldiers let loose. Dancing in the aisles, shouting out "Ka-weedence, Ka-weedence" for CCR. What a LOUD crowd in the end, not to mention what a unique venue and situation.

The other gig? Involved a .357 and some quick thinking. In 43 years of gigging let's just say you learn to give the audience what they want.

8. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

We shared our dressing room with the strippers..female

9. sgv

sgv Member

I played on a barge in the middle of a lake during a thunderstorm (awesome, huh?). It was a private party for employees of a company...and we weren't even a cover band.

10. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

We played inside an art gallery room that was barely big enough to hold the band, let alone any audience / patrons

People were dancing to our music, in adjacent rooms

11. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

Wow... just wow....

12. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Dude, that is HILARIOUS, that sounds like something Rodney Dangerfield had as part of his act.

13. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Member

When I was a sophomore in high school, I played the graduation dance of my former junior high, complete with my ex-principal, ex-vice-principal-from-hell, and all my most-hated junior high teachers. I got drunk on Rainier ale and had a blast.

14. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

This is not necessarily a bad thing.:p

15. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I was sitting in with a country band.

Lead singer does multiple shots during second set break.

Next set starts, he does Nestea Plunge into drum set and then lays flat on the stage.

We put a mic next to him and he finished the set singing flat on his back.

True story!

16. Jazzocaster

Jazzocaster Member

I played a fund-raiser/silent auction thing last year.

Overall it was a pretty fun gig, but it took place in the middle of a furniture store...

17. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

One of my buds has a similar story: on his very first gig the drunk accordion player does the 'plunge', smacks his head on the bass drum, 'BOOM' and looks up with his accordion still wheezing, and says "Nowww, don't..make a scene".

18. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

OK...lots to choose from. Probably the most bizarre was a film I was in for a major corporation. It was a training film of sorts. We had played the music for the track in the studio and thought they just wanted a lip-synced version. When we got to the set we were told we would each be portraying someone from a different country. I was the French guy, the drummer ( who now plays with a big rock star) was 'German', the black bass player was type-cast as Jamaican. It was insane. I've never seen the final result but it must look like a bad Monty Python skit with a bunch of wankers doing horrible fake accents.

19. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Dude, who knows, maybe you are a big star out there in BF Egypt somewhere. There might be tiny villagers somewhere sitting around images of you burning incense or something.

20. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Start at 1:00 A.M. for a small group of factory workers just getting off of third shift who don't want to hear original music.

We play 3 songs when cops bust in for a drug raid. "Show's over boys!" and they shut us down.

Bartender somes over and says "I don't care what the owner thinks. I am paying you for the whole night! You are the best band we have ever had in here!"